• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

The Mission To Save The Stranded Player

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
OK, if there is one thing I would never have thought of when thinking about video games was the idea that a person, a player, could potentially be stranded in a game in the same way as a person can be stranded in real life and yet here I am today, excited to witness an event that will happen on Saturday of the rescue of a stranded player in a game by a group of player who are dedicated to, well, saving stranded players.

About a year ago I remember coming across a game on a YT video called Elite Dangerous that I found interesting. To put it simple think of this game as a cross between Star Trek, No Mans Sky and Slime Rancher. It's a space-based, open world simulator where you can basically do whatever you want to do from playing bounty hunter to collecting minerals and selling it to even being a space pirate. The universe in the game is a representation of our actual Milky Way with billions of star systems you can travel to. Since I last saw this game it has improved quite a bit and sadly I had forgotten about it till now when I found this interesting story on Kotaku (see link below).

Basically, a player by the name Cmdr Deluvian set off to set a record for the farthest distance traveled from the Sol System (in essence our Solar System in the game). His journey took 42 days (real days) to reach almost 66 thousand lightyears in the game. According to some players, it would take approximately 25 days of non-stop play flying through space to reach this distance so it makes sense that he played an average of 10 to 12 hours a day. Now, he supposedly calculated the amount of fuel necessary to travel this far out in space but in the last moments of reaching the farthest distance he could before needing to turn around and make it back he made a mistake which used up some fuel required for the return trip leaving him stranded 65 thousand lightyears in the middle of nowhere. Now, I have to assume that in a situation like that a player could just start all over (which would suck losing everything) but in this case, Cmdr Deluvian chose to just stay out there and just wait it out. Potentially waiting till his ship ran out of air or something. Now, bare in mind Cmdr Deluvian has been stranded since Nov 25, 2018 so he's been drifting in space for well over 2 months which is amazing for a videogame.

Of course, the coolest part of this story is the mission currently being done by a group in the game called Fuel Rats which, as the name suggests, have set off to meet up with Cmdr Deluvian's ship to provide him with fuel to help him return back to the known system. Currently, Cmdr HighwayWarrior, one of the Fuel Rats members, has already reached Cmdr Deluvian's ship but it may take more than one ship to assist so he is currently awaiting several other Fuel Rats on their way to the same position. He is currently livestreaming the rescue operation (at the time of posting this he was streaming a second account while he waits for the other players to arrive) but it will take at least 3 more days from posting this to complete the rescue. They scheduled the rescue event for this Saturday at 4PM EST on Twitch to allow the other members to be there and due to different timezones between players. It's gonna be awesome to watch. Now, considering it takes about 25 continuous days to reach this distance that means these Fuel rats players have been cruising space for nearly a month just to rescue this stranded player. how amazing is that? Talk about dedication towards a game.

This entire story has me so intrigued by this game I am actually gonna buy it in a couple of weeks. I look forward to learning this game, I may actually use this game to restart my YT channel. And once I get the hang of it I may just try to set a record of my own. This is exciting. I'm a huge scifi person, big fan of Star Wars, Star Trek and the likes. I get to be the Cmdr of my own ship.

https://kotaku.com/elite-dangerous-players-are-rescuing-a-player-whos-been-1832727827

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
Oh, man. That honestly sounds pretty intense, although I've never heard of this game before. I actually like that they've come up with their own lore and getting people to participate in it xD

Reactions: BraveStar
OP
OP
BraveStar

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Oh, man. That honestly sounds pretty intense, although I've never heard of this game before. I actually like that they've come up with their own lore and getting people to participate in it xD

I find this amazing. I have never heard of players having problems in a game where another group of people could come and give them a hand almost like in real life. Granted the guy had the ability to just use the self destruct option, lose his ship (and the ingame money he spent on it) and simply respawn at another station and either use another ship he may have or get one of the free ones you start off with. But that would make this more like a regular game and less like a realistic concept. At least that's what I think the player was thinking when he decided to just stay stranded and suffer the consequences of his mistake. I look forward to the chance to play this game though that may not be anytime soon.

Reactions: Ikerot