• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Movies/TV Dragon Ball Super Broly - Not What I Expected

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Friendly reminder, there may be some spoilers for those who have not seen the series or movies.

I remember when I first discovered Dragon Ball Z, my obsession with the show got so big I tracked down local shops in Miami that sold pirated Japanese audio versions of the show on VHS just because I was too impatient to wait for Cartoon Network's Toonami to show the next episodes. I was willing to read English Subbed caption for the sake of watching the latest episodes brought to the US. Since then I have watched every episode and movie multiple times with the exception of the original Dragon Ball series simply because I didn't quite find it as enjoyable. Also, I enjoyed Dragon ball GT even though it's taboo to even admit it's existence. I also didn't watch Dragon Ball Z Kai because I didn't like that they changed a lot of the script and the voices don't sound the same either, it just seemed like an insult to the original dubbed series. Interestingly enough most of the Dragon Ball Z movies were outside of the storyline with a few that had a little bit of a connection but would eventually steer away from the storyline.

When I heard they were making more movies and a new show the child in me got as excited as a kid in a candy store (yea, I said that). Dragon Ball Super, in Japanese, was really good. I'm glad they chose to stick to the original storyline rather than that unusual one on Dragon Ball GT but I was sad they skipped SS4. When Battle Of Gods came out with the new, modern design I was ecstatic. And Resurrection F was even better with the return of Freza at a whole new level. My favorite part of the movie was the nod to Bruce Lee when Goku put his fingers to Freza's chest then closed his fist and gave him a taste of Bruce Lee's one-inch punch.

Now fast forward to 2018 where Funimation announces a new movie in the Dragon Ball Super universe called Dragon Ball Super Broly and I was just blown away by the announcement. I couldn't wait to see the new movie. Like before January was just too far away and I was extremely tempted to seek out the Japanese version. But I resisted and waiting till the English dub came to the states. Here's my short review.

The movie itself wasn't so bad. I partially enjoyed it. But... I have to admit I was disappointed. For starters, the movie did not follow the new design style of Battle Of Gods and Resurrection F, instead it went back to the classic look of the TV series. It's not entirely a bad thing but I was looking forward to seeing Broly in this new style. The second thing was the storyline. They completely deviated from the original story in the DBZ movies. Broly's rage was supposed to be directly influenced by Goku's existence but in this new movie he was simply angry with little reason beyond just being sent away to die alone. In the original movie Broly would already go straight to super Broly (green haired Broly), in the new one he actually leveled up as he fought Vegeta then Goku. In the original movie Broly's father was hell-bent on revenge against Vegeta and tricked him to come to him, the new movie has him working for Freza. And interesting twist so I may actually accept that change. All in all the movie was a bit boring, mainly the fighting part. I will admit watching Freza get whooped, again, was enjoyable.

I give the movie 2.5 out 5 stars. I was expecting the movie to have the new design style and Broly to be a badass to the end, instead, Goku made himself a new friend in the end and Freza walked. Not to mention Goku struggled to reach Super Saiyan Blue for some strange reason (during the series and in the Resurrection F movie he transformed without breaking a sweat) and never even used Ultra Instinct. I expected more after such great movies before it.

I recently discovered a new series based on one of the series videogames. Its called Super Dragon Ball Heroes. It's completely separate from the original storyline as it's based on a chapter of the game but I like that it combines characters from every Dragon ball series, even GT. That's gonna be my next must watch show which I found on YT.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHgm89hKpXU

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal
Full disclosure... I don't know the first thing about Dragon Ball... Went to see the movie with some friends at their request and ended up liking it as a movie. I don't think I'll ever watch the anime fully through cus I just don't care for it enough but the movie was pretty good. I always seem to like anime movies :3

Reactions: TubeBuddy
OP
OP
BraveStar

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Full disclosure... I don't know the first thing about Dragon Ball... Went to see the movie with some friends at their request and ended up liking it as a movie. I don't think I'll ever watch the anime fully through cus I just don't care for it enough but the movie was pretty good. I always seem to like anime movies :3

I hear ya. I'm a cartoon addict, have been since I was little. I'm not much on an Anime person but I do watch a few popular animes. But DBZ was one of my favorites.