• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Looking for Camera Advice! Please help

Cabbitude

TubeBuddy Pro
www.CabbitudeGaming.com
Subscriber Goal
I've been using the Logitech C920 in recent videos and I've been noticing there's a slow progression of lag happening with the video compared to audio. Audio's always FINE (webcam has a built in mic that autorecords when the camera's recording. I don't use this audio in my videos but it matches my mic audio perfectly despite the video's progressive lag) but the video just slowly gets further and further askew until I find myself having to cut out chunks here and there and re-align audio constantly to make it look even remotely correct.

I did a little research and it turns out the C910 and C920 have a 300ms latency issue due to their compression rig since they compress the video before it gets sent to the computer (cameras without compression abilities just send the video as it's recorded and the computer compresses it there as needed). That 300ms can get pretty obvious in longer videos as the longer the video goes the more pronounced the lag becomes.

This sucks because the stupid thing cost me $50 on Amazon and I should've done better research, but all the sites said Logitech C920 is 'best bang for your buck'... but there's a TON of info out there that talks about this latency problem, usually in forum posts ranging from when the camera was first released to present day, all looking for a fix but never finding one that works properly.

So anyway, hoping to find a camera under $100 that doesn't have this video latency problem but also offers quality (1080p) picture. Audio doesn't matter since I tend to record that separate from the camera... Any advice?

Thanks everyone

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal
I've been using the Logitech C920 in recent videos and I've been noticing there's a slow progression of lag happening with the video compared to audio. Audio's always FINE (webcam has a built in mic that autorecords when the camera's recording. I don't use this audio in my videos but it matches my mic audio perfectly despite the video's progressive lag) but the video just slowly gets further and further askew until I find myself having to cut out chunks here and there and re-align audio constantly to make it look even remotely correct.

I did a little research and it turns out the C910 and C920 have a 300ms latency issue due to their compression rig since they compress the video before it gets sent to the computer (cameras without compression abilities just send the video as it's recorded and the computer compresses it there as needed). That 300ms can get pretty obvious in longer videos as the longer the video goes the more pronounced the lag becomes.

This sucks because the stupid thing cost me $50 on Amazon and I should've done better research, but all the sites said Logitech C920 is 'best bang for your buck'... but there's a TON of info out there that talks about this latency problem, usually in forum posts ranging from when the camera was first released to present day, all looking for a fix but never finding one that works properly.

So anyway, hoping to find a camera under $100 that doesn't have this video latency problem but also offers quality (1080p) picture. Audio doesn't matter since I tend to record that separate from the camera... Any advice?

Thanks everyone

I don't think a 0 latency option exists... especially at that sort of a price range... After a lot of research it seems most people with those cameras are just offsetting the audio.

Reactions: kunicross
OP
OP
Cabbitude

Cabbitude

TubeBuddy Pro
www.CabbitudeGaming.com
Subscriber Goal
I don't think a 0 latency option exists... especially at that sort of a price range... After a lot of research it seems most people with those cameras are just offsetting the audio.

Which I'm doing when I edit as well, but it's almost like it magnifies over time or something. I can't just tweak the audio once. I have to do it multiple times per video. The longer the video is, the further off the audio is from the video recording. It's really irritating and I just figured it'd be fantastic if I could get some constructive advice on the matter.

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal
Which I'm doing when I edit as well, but it's almost like it magnifies over time or something. I can't just tweak the audio once. I have to do it multiple times per video. The longer the video is, the further off the audio is from the video recording. It's really irritating and I just figured it'd be fantastic if I could get some constructive advice on the matter.
Long shot suggestion.... anything to do with sample rates not matching up?