• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

What focal length are you shooting at these days?

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
I find myself shooting at 50mm more and more. and using the 70-210mm zoom more as well. I've been using wide angle lenses less and less. Not sure why. I think the 24mm is good for basic hey-look-at-where-I-am, but I prefer the telephoto look for ost everything else. I guess that's the M43 excels at telephoto.

Greneey

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Well, I started to go 50mm to 70mm once I learned that the human eye is around 50mm.
Nowadays I started to play around with other focal lengths.

For example, I did start using my 14mm (full frame) more and more often for talking Livestreams.
I know never ever go wide-angle on a portrait but I figured it is a pretty damn cool look for me ranting about a topic on a live-stream.

So long story short: I try to break out of the 50mm focal length.

Reactions: Damon

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal
When space has allowed it I've always tried to stay as close to 50mm on crop as possible (when factoring in crop factor) and 50mm on full frame. Sometimes space just doesn't allow for that or sometimes I'm too far away so when needed I switch it up.

OP
OP
Damon

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Yeah, when I'm out on the boat 24mm is barely wide enough. The M43 chip doesn't help in that regard. I've totally ignore crop factors and all that. Most of the time 24mm is what I use because I don't have a wireless microphone to do talking head stuff from a distance. But for most everything else it's the 50mm. So, for me I don't have a photography background I don't think in terms of full-frame or crop factor. It's just what does it look like on this camera.

kunicross

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Im usually quite wide angle to get everything in frame between 15 and 28 mm.
Also my mother had a quite wide angle lense for her old Olympus camera (don't know the exact vocal length but it gave about the same image you'll see when covering one eye) an I really was fascinated by that.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Depends what I am shooting. For talking head I prefer 50 MM since it mimics the human eye. If I am going for a longer shot, I shot longer usually. I'm usually on my 12 -35 or 24 - 70 mm equivalent :D

Nick Nimmin

TubeBuddy Legend
tubertools.com
Subscriber Goal
Usually at 18 for my main scene. 16 for my desk scene but I picked up a 10-18 for some new stuff I'm going to be putting out.

OP
OP
Damon

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Greneey, that's exactly what I was thinking! Like capture the whole Grand Canyon! Basically 20mm-35mm lenses assuming a micro 4/3 senor, but none of that matters because you know exactly what you want it to look like on your camera.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Damon

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I stand corrected. Wide babiiiee! Don't have to worry about being in or out of frame at all, especially on big chip cameras. Even APS-C is 35mm motion picture film frame. I've thought of adding a 17mm Canon FD and a 300mm. 300mm for bird and wildlife b-roll shots while I'm out fishing. 17mm for a boat lens because my boat is so small. Although the 24mm is adequate, I have to more carefully frame my talking head shot while doing fishing videos. The focal reducer helps a lot though.

24mm is wide enough to give some basic context, but those old-school wide-angle lenses like 14mm and less were not the best lenses of that era.

The telephoto for M4/3 on a 300mm lens would be awesome! the 70-210mm FD zoom I okay in terms of reach, but for birding, it just isn't enough especially when used with the focal reducer. You need the focal reducer to refocus the light down to that smaller sensor. I'm hoping Panasonic's new s1 series will be great. It might be worth stepping up to full frame then.

Last edited:

610 Hustles

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I use the kit lens that came with the Rebel T7 if I am doing landscape and the 75-300 if I am doing wildlife or close up on flowering trees

• Love
Reactions: TubeBuddy and Damon

610 Hustles

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Do you have a photo of your work? :D
Two from my most recent
Lattice and Statue.jpg
Flower Close Up.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: TubeBuddy and Damon