• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Is There A Big Difference Between Adobe Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro?

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Like the Vegas Pro I was using the Photoshop I have is also borrowed. But I want a copy of my own eventually. I already purchased Vegas Pro through Humble Bundle and now they have a Paint Shop Pro bundle for the same price and I'm wondering if anyone knows if it's worth getting it or should I stick with Photoshop? If I don't get the Paint Shop Pro Humble Bundle I'll get my own subscription to Adobe for Photoshop instead. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I didn't even know paint shop pro even exsists anymore?
I haven't used paint shop pro in like 20 years lol!

When I studied graphic design in school, I started on paint shop pro, but we quickly transitioned over to photoshop as the superior graphic design program. I haven't used it in 20 years so I can't really speak for it now days, but on first glance, it's a one time payment of $64, meanwhile photoshop is like, $50 a month, so that right there makes paint shop pro far cheaper (though supposedly you should be able to do everything in GIMP which is free)

I see in a comparison page on their site, that they say Photoshop isn't dual monitor compatible. You only need your tools and menus on one window, but you can work on multiple documents on multiple windows, so they're wrong about that.

You can try BOTH of them for free as a trial, so you might as well give both of them a try for yourself to see which one fits better with your style. I've been using Photoshop for maybe 15-20 years now (god I feel old now) and I absolutely love it. I learned to use Paint Shop Pro in high school, and then when I got into design class, the teachers taught me "how to use a PROPER graphic design program" which was photoshop.

Though Paint Shop Pro is $72 for life (maybe cheaper with vegas pro, and if vegas pro is one price for life with no subscription price, you may as well go with that) really though, just download the trials and give them both a go for yourself. They're fairly similar.

Reactions: BraveStar
OP
OP
BraveStar

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I didn't even know paint shop pro even exsists anymore?
I haven't used paint shop pro in like 20 years lol!

When I studied graphic design in school, I started on paint shop pro, but we quickly transitioned over to photoshop as the superior graphic design program. I haven't used it in 20 years so I can't really speak for it now days, but on first glance, it's a one time payment of $64, meanwhile photoshop is like, $50 a month, so that right there makes paint shop pro far cheaper (though supposedly you should be able to do everything in GIMP which is free)

I see in a comparison page on their site, that they say Photoshop isn't dual monitor compatible. You only need your tools and menus on one window, but you can work on multiple documents on multiple windows, so they're wrong about that.

You can try BOTH of them for free as a trial, so you might as well give both of them a try for yourself to see which one fits better with your style. I've been using Photoshop for maybe 15-20 years now (god I feel old now) and I absolutely love it. I learned to use Paint Shop Pro in high school, and then when I got into design class, the teachers taught me "how to use a PROPER graphic design program" which was photoshop.

Though Paint Shop Pro is $72 for life (maybe cheaper with vegas pro, and if vegas pro is one price for life with no subscription price, you may as well go with that) really though, just download the trials and give them both a go for yourself. They're fairly similar.

That's a good idea. I'll give the trial a try. If I like it and can handle the basics I know about Photoshop then I'll consider getting it from Humble Bundle. Thanks.

Reactions: Beanie Draws

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
For the most part, yeah. You can replicate Photoshop with GIMP, the only problem is that you need to take more steps for an effect (or anything else) compared to Photoshop that can do it in 2 steps.

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal
I'd of been very curious to try Paint Shop Pro... might even download the trial to compare them for what I do. I can't really offer any advice as to whats best and it looks like the bundle is gone. I'm getting sick of Adobe's subscription crap but since I was trained on it and its good I've put up with it.

Reactions: Damon and TubeBuddy

Greneey

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Hi BSTG

I have to admit that I haven't used Paint Shop Pro yet. Some of my coworkers did tho.
And as far as my understanding goes it is for sure a powerful editing software but lags some features which PS offers. Someone once described it to me as "Photoshop Elements".
I don't know if this is accurate because PS Elements is pretty basic in some aspects but from the look and feel of the software I have to aggree.

To get to your question. Yes there is a big difference between those software packages. The UI looks completely different, its form a different developer. It's also targeted to a different audience. (as far as I can tell)

I'm getting sick of Adobe's subscription crap but since I was trained on it and its good I've put up with it.
Interesting. I found myself spending less money on Adobe products since they switched to CC.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
I'd be running for the hills if I could. I've switched to Davinci Resolve away from Premiere now but I can't find a solid replacement for Photoshop/Illustrator yet.

I love their software. I wish they had more options. I don't use the entire suite just four pieces of it.

kunicross

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I love their software. I wish they had more options. I don't use the entire suite just four pieces of it.
That's the whole business plan - they make more money the less products you use - the real Adobe power users are happy because they can have it all and cheaper and Adobe can squeeze more money out of those people who in the past went with one version and only upgraded every couple of years or never.

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
That's the whole business plan - they make more money the less products you use - the real Adobe power users are happy because they can have it all and cheaper and Adobe can squeeze more money out of those people who in the past went with one version and only upgraded every couple of years or never.

I know just kind of not a great feeling

Reactions: Damon and kunicross

Greneey

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Now you guys start to go a bit hard on Adobe.
First of all, there is a Photography plan which actually targets the mainstream consumer.
And 25$ per software isn't that much if you think about it. There is stuff out there that costs way more and isn't as packed with features as Adobe stuff is.
I mean let's be serious. If its all about the money do 1 video for 250$ and pay for like 3 months of cc. And in this 3 months, you should be able to find another job.

Those Software packages are meant to create something. So go ahead and create something to pay for it!

just four pieces of it.
Can you tell us which? Maybe we can save something.

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal
Now you guys start to go a bit hard on Adobe.
First of all, there is a Photography plan which actually targets the mainstream consumer.
And 25$ per software isn't that much if you think about it. There is stuff out there that costs way more and isn't as packed with features as Adobe stuff is.
I mean let's be serious. If its all about the money do 1 video for 250$ and pay for like 3 months of cc. And in this 3 months, you should be able to find another job.

Those Software packages are meant to create something. So go ahead and create something to pay for it!

You're missing the point here.... It isn't that we as creators don't have money to pay for software. It's that Adobe has a monopoly on software, knows it has one and then over-values it's software. I'm just waiting for another player to show up and take a hard jab at them. Adobe went from "Pay [x] for software and own it forever" to "Pay [x] per month to have access to software". They know that their users have no choice and that is what people like me have a problem with.

Reactions: TubeBuddy

kunicross

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Well Adobe has fairly a monopoly on that kind of software the only thing they really did have one for a long time was PDF editing but even there is not really that way any more.

As mentioned before it's mostly a difference between professional / bussiness and casual / amateur audience but that was already the same way back because Software like Photoshop was always too expensive for the casual side no matter what (which is part of why it was pirated so much)

Today you got pretty good free or way less expensive alternatives for most professional software available - usually it's not quite as good but sufficient for that side of the market.
For those few writings and tables I do at home open office or Google docs does work fine but for a bussiness it might not be enough.
Some stuff might be more work on Gimp but you'll get the same results in the end.

I think the hugh advantage of those subscription models is (depending on how they are set up, but for Adobe cc I saw like 1 month boxes in store) that you can fully try out the software and decide if it's worth it for your use case while with buying the software if you find out it's not quite what you need you already sunk the money and are stuck with it.

Also if you can subscribe monthly you can do stuff like subscribe for a vacation when you have much time and projects on your hands and do that all.