• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

GH5S, BMPCC4K ot Fuji X-T3

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
So which of these three cameras would you buy for film making?

I think the M43 and APS-C sensors are the greatest chips ever developed for motion picture because they are the mimic the size of the old film stock.

Micro 4/3 is 50 to 70 percent that the old Super 16mm and 16mm film stock. If this were 1960, we would all be shooting on 16mm or Super 16mm, because that's all we would be able to afford. Independent flmmakers, new agencies and TV stations all used 16mm.

35mm and Super 35mm film stock were used in the movies. Guess what? The APS-C chip is dead between these formats in size. It's the perfect format for filmmaking.

Last edited:
Reactions: TubeBuddy

Photoguy

Subscriber Goal
All of those looks great, but the GH5 is a monster in all aspects in my opinion. Add some tweaks in the options and you'll be drooling over the footage. But Fuji does some great software updates and are very loyal to you as a customer. The Black Magic camera I don't know much about, but their history of cinematic cameras is great when it comes to cinematic looks, if they fixed their battery life and stuff I'm sure it's great!

Reactions: Damon
OP
OP
Damon

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I agree, but I don't think the IBIS is the thing for me. For most people IBIS is vital though, and I think the GH5 is the best all around video machine of all time. Since I want my fishing video to look like films, I need something more specialized. The Blackmagic camera is perfect for me.

Reactions: Photoguy

Photoguy

Subscriber Goal
I agree, but I don't think the IBIS is the thing for me. For most people IBIS is vital though, and I think the GH5 is the best all around video machine of all time. Since I want my fishing video to look like films, I need something more specialized. The Blackmagic camera is perfect for me.

I can understand that, but I think that image stabilization does do wonders for the "cinematic feeling". My best filming gear so far is my gimbal, they can make the videos of average cameras look fantastic. When using a gimbal on a camera with no IBIS the only problem with stabilisation is the Z-axis which is slightly bobbing while walking. That's why IBIS is good for for me, it reduces the bobbing and the picture looks smooth in all ways.

Also if you spend your time mostly in a boat the bobbing wouldn't be much of an issue, so a gimbal and the Black Magic camera might would be the perfect combination for you:)

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal
If you can, rent them all and try them. I know Samy's out by me has a program where the fee to rent for a day is subtracted from the final price if I decide to buy. I feel like between those 3 specifically I'd lean toward the GH5. I've been exploring the idea of buying the Ursa Mini Pro for a while now and so far my only deterrent as been that Blackmagic has horrendous low light performance across all of it's lineup (although for what I primarily do low light is irrelevant).

OP
OP
Damon

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Yeah, again most people. I'm in a boat on tripods, on land I'm on tripods and monopods exclusively. When I go handheld, I want to look handheld because I'm trying to shoot cinema verite. The term cinematic has been lost. There are all kinds of cinema. The point is to control the movement of the camera whether keeping it still or making it move. IBIS works against the way I work, so I don't use it. Most people can't seem to understand that. That's why Panasonic made the GH5S for the few like me who want total control over the movement.

See I want my footage to look like it was shot on a 16mm Bolex in 1960. By definition you wouldn't use IBIS to achieve that look. The handlheld footage, small sensor, heavy camera gives you a kind of stabilized shake when going handheld. You can't get that with IBIS even when locked down.

Go watch the "Salesman." Totally "haldheld," shoulder mounted. They said, "Da.. the tripods." Watch the footage from the John F. Kennedy campaign . . .

In other words footage that looks perfect doesn't work for me. That's why I use old lenses, vintage Canon FD glass only. (I'd love some old Takumars, but don't want to deal with the radiation-doped lenses. That's why those lenses are so sharp!!!! Hot, baby!!!!!) Modern glass is too perfect. Modern IBIS is too perfect. I want those flaws. Those flaws can be used artistically. Thus the true meaning of cinema is art, not perfection. All art is less than perfect, but technical perfection is not necessarily art.

Also in the boat there is lot of vibration, and the IBIS and vibration control I've used in the past has not been able to keep up. A hard bolted sensor looks way better when running on the river.
--- Post updated ---
If you can, rent them all and try them. I know Samy's out by me has a program where the fee to rent for a day is subtracted from the final price if I decide to buy. I feel like between those 3 specifically I'd lean toward the GH5. I've been exploring the idea of buying the Ursa Mini Pro for a while now and so far my only deterrent as been that Blackmagic has horrendous low light performance across all of it's lineup (although for what I primarily do low light is irrelevant).

Yeah, note I mentioned the GH5S. Also the Blackmagic Pocket 4k has a dual native ISO like the GH5S, giving it great low light performance. I don't do much low light either, but sometimes it would be nice to have a dual native ISO at sunset on the river, especially when using an old F4 70-210 Canon. I'm clawing for an much light as I can possibly get. I think the GH5S and P4K are more in the same league.

Last edited:
Reactions: TubeBuddy

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
For me if I were to buy, it would be GH5 due to being into their lens system already, and It would be an easy switch with familiarity! I'd say next would be the blackmagic! However, I've used both of their products before, so I am familiar with how they work!