• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question is starting out on youtube supposed to be this hard?!

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Yes. Yes I believe it should be this hard. I enjoy the content that I see on YouTube and I think they do a pretty good job not only of feeding me the content that I have come to enjoy but also feeding me new content as well as predicting the things that I may like going forward. I do not want the content that is being served to me to be watered-down with cheesy, home videos made by creators with seven videos under their belt. I want to see the content from creators who have put their time, sweat and tears into their content. I want to see content from creators who have libraries of videos.
And I want to be the best. I don't want to be the best creator on a pile of half-baked videos put out by people who never took the time to learn how to edit. I want my name associated with great artists and filmographers. If this was easy then everyone would be doing it, everyone would have a million subscribers and there would be zero value in the overall content of the platform and zero value in having a million subscribers.
YouTube is hard. It is not for everyone. But understand that this is not a bad thing. If you don't put in the work then there is nothing to appreciate. This hard work fosters pride, it should challenge you to create better works of art and inspire others.

ResetResto

TubeBuddy Star
resetresto.com
Subscriber Goal
I firmly believe that is if you post good quality and relevant content, subscribers will follow. It is all about what keeps your viewers watching for the max amount of time that draws YouTube in recommending your content. That way they have a better opportunity to get more ads in front of viewer which = more money for them. It is a win win really. Rather have 10 amazing quality videos than a 1000 average videos. I wish you all the best in your journey!

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
I don't want to be the best creator on a pile of half-baked videos put out by people who never took the time to learn how to edit. I want my name associated with great artists and filmographers.

Yup! This. Can't tell you the number of times people say, "Watching your videos is like watching a movie." Yup, I want every fishing adventure to be a like a Jacques Cousteau documentary. Of course my tutorials and product review content does not have to be of that same "quality," but the same principles apply in terms of editing.

For some reason people think the ease of video consumption equates to an ease of video production. No. It's supposed to hard. If it's hard, then people who can't hang will boot themselves out the door. The people who develop the discipline to stick with it will grow. That's the test.

When people show up with three videos they ripped off from someone else's content, such people are not a content creators. They're just looking for a cheap dopamine fix. Honestly they feel entitled to get the same kind of cheap dopamine high the got from simply consuming the video.

Success equals doing the right things for very long periods of time. It has taken me eight years and 840+ video to get to 11k subs. That's all original content from day one. That's a lot of blood, a lot of sweat, and a whole lot of tears. Most everyone have a cellphone these days that would put the computers the Apollo astronauts to shame. Most people haven't made the jump from consuming to producing.

Subscriber Goal
Agreed and the amount of great content has increased with the popularity of you tube. I've just recently started to post content its not great but hey I'm new. My hope is that what I'm posting about draws viewers in and holds them as the quality of my content improves. As a new creator the amount of effort that goes into just getting my content in front of a viewer is what amazed me. It's not easy. The algorithm is there to make you tube money not give me a free hand out. It's free to post and they make money from time spent watching. Just how the game is played. Tools like TubeBuddy can help with that but you have to put the work in.

Sparta

its hard because u dont have built a fan base that help you boost you to the search engine and all that, its not just posting videos and adding tags,keywords etc, its engangement and connection with the viewers and creatin a fanbase 'community' that likes ur content and watches it and not just random traffic from youtube, also ofcourse there are exceptions like... if u pay for advertising and marketing thru youtube or you collaborated and got help and support through that, or u did something very specific that went viral and boosted you, everything matters, especially how the viewers view your channel, the design of it, the way it looks,m the way you upload ur videos, the way things are structured, your socials, your descriptions,titles, and mostly the video playing and / or music of your content has to be quality. Sure some will like itand some wont, but in the long run u gotta keep going and doingg many things and figuring out exactly what u are going for, like focus on the topic and push hard till the algorythm picks on your channel and starts helping u being notcied and found through searches, alternatives are having external source of traffic and so on

Constantin Fkd

i am curious as to having over 300 videos and 491 subscribers after 15 years, is something wrong with what i am doing?
I hope you are well. I am surprised that in 15 years you are still at this number of subscribers.. I propose these few solutions:
1- Specialize in a theme that you master better
2-Look at how other channels that deal with the same subject do it
3- Try to do what they do by bringing more added value
4- Do not prefer the quantity of videos to publish to the quality of the video. A well-made video can bring you more than 1000 subscribers
5- Use video SEO tools to find the right long tail keywords to use
6- My list is not exhaustive. If anyone else has any other advice, I'd love to hear it. We never finish learning.

Reactions: Lindam

Constantin Fkd

i am curious as to having over 300 videos and 491 subscribers after 15 years, is something wrong with what i am doing?
I don't think that getting started on YouTube would be difficult if you have the right marketing strategies around your videos. I don't think it would be difficult either if you produce quality content that stands out from what others are doing. If, for example, I see that you don't do anything better than other channels, I don't see the reason why I'll come back to your channel again. On the other hand, if you surprise me with the quality of your video, you will create an emotion in me (joy, pride in having found satisfaction in your video). This emotion will lead me to consume as much of your video content as I need.

Lindam

Subscriber Goal
Yes. Yes I believe it should be this hard. I enjoy the content that I see on YouTube and I think they do a pretty good job not only of feeding me the content that I have come to enjoy but also feeding me new content as well as predicting the things that I may like going forward. I do not want the content that is being served to me to be watered-down with cheesy, home videos made by creators with seven videos under their belt. I want to see the content from creators who have put their time, sweat and tears into their content. I want to see content from creators who have libraries of videos.
And I want to be the best. I don't want to be the best creator on a pile of half-baked videos put out by people who never took the time to learn how to edit. I want my name associated with great artists and filmographers. If this was easy then everyone would be doing it, everyone would have a million subscribers and there would be zero value in the overall content of the platform and zero value in having a million subscribers.
YouTube is hard. It is not for everyone. But understand that this is not a bad thing. If you don't put in the work then there is nothing to appreciate. This hard work fosters pride, it should challenge you to create better works of art and inspire others.
Well said, that's so true. I'm plodding along I have only 147 subscribers, and 20.k views. It can be discouraging at times, but if it were easy we would soon get bored.

Reactions: Xavier De Buck

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Well said, that's so true. I'm plodding along I have only 147 subscribers, and 20.k views. It can be discouraging at times, but if it were easy we would soon get bored.
Ooooh... man I don't see that as 'plodding along' at all. Take a step back and think about that for a second; 20,000 views. Twenty... thousand... views. Those are for-real numbers and something to be proud of. And the fact that you did this with only 150 subs means that you have reach and you are getting out in front of new audiences. You simply need to find a way to get them to subscribe. Otherwise you are killing it!

pawanranta

raachotrekkers.com
Subscriber Goal
I started my YouTube channel about a decade ago but stopped posting video after a while. I'm planning to resume it. What is something that I should know about YouTube of 2023?

Reactions: Damon

Miles Ahead Racing

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy Pro
milesaheadracing.com
Subscriber Goal
I started my YouTube channel about a decade ago but stopped posting video after a while. I'm planning to resume it. What is something that I should know about YouTube of 2023?

Try making shorts out of your existing content, and refer to the long form video using Cards and comments. And if you haven't already, review some of your older content and refresh titles, descriptions and tags using TubeBuddy's plugin.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Reactions: pawanranta

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
Reactions: pawanranta