• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

TubeBuddy DOES the SEO SCORE really matter?

OP
OP
MiffleMyDundah

MiffleMyDundah

It's very simple. SEO is not a guarantee that your video will be found. Most creators are under the impression that if you just use the right keywords and SEO that your videos will magically be seen by everyone and become an overnight success. But the reality is if it were that simple then everyone would be successful or no one would be because there are not enough hours in a day and not enough eyeballs on YouTube at the same time to be able to see every video uploaded daily thus someone will fail to get views regardless if it was that simple.

In other words, if everyone has a Ferrari, almost no one would be able to drive 200 MPH because everyone's gonna wanna do it at the same time and I'm sure you know what a traffic jam is.
Sooo, you're saying I should have a Ferrari cause otherwise I'll have a Trabant and I'll be slower than everyone else cause they all have Ferraris but getting a Ferrari doesn't make me faster than others cause they all have it?

totstiny89

I use it because I think smaller channels need all the help we can get. If you are Stephen Colbert - you will get your views with no SEO or tags. Most of us are not that well placed.

vidmate mobdro

Last edited:

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
There are only so many things that we can fix/change/adjust in order to increase our visibility on platform... and one of the biggest is Search traffic. The way to do that is through SEO. If you don't want to bother... if your video is not worth the time and effort then no worries. Don't optimize. If you value your work and would like to give it a second chance to be viewed by people looking specifically for what your video is about... if you want to give it a life beyond simply being seen by your notification squad once the opportunity for instant virality has passed... then yes. You should consider focusing on your SEO.

I'm sure Mr. Colbert would not disagree.

The Jungle Explorer

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
There are only so many things that we can fix/change/adjust in order to increase our visibility on platform... and one of the biggest is Search traffic. The way to do that is through SEO. If you don't want to bother... if your video is not worth the time and effort then no worries. Don't optimize. If you value your work and would like to give it a second chance to be viewed by people looking specifically for what your video is about... if you want to give it a life beyond simply being seen by your notification squad once the opportunity for instant virality has passed... then yes. You should consider focusing on your SEO.

I'm sure Mr. Colbert would not disagree.
You nailed it Stanely.

I had to do a search on Steven Colbert to find out who he is. Yeah, I have not watched network TV in over a decade and have not watched late-night since Leno left, so I really did not know who he was by his name. I know his face and have seen him referred to here and there, and bits and pieces of his late-night show, but everything I have seen of him has been extremely vulgar. The man is a moral cesspool (at least his late-night show is) from what I have seen and I just refuse to watch that kind of garbage.

Last edited:

Miles Ahead Racing

TubeBuddy User
TubeBuddy Pro
milesaheadracing.com
Subscriber Goal
No. The SEO you do is mostly for humans, not for YT. Would you watch a video that had no title or thumbnail? Not normally (although I have a video like this that does get views because there are certain people that cannot resist a mystery, but normally, you would not). As I said before, SEO is the START, not the end. Everyone is doing great SEO, if you are the only one who is not, you are lagging behind. It is a minimum standard, not a maximum standard. Not sure how much clearer I can make it.
Great explanation! Thank you!

The Jungle Explorer

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
If I'm not mistaken, SEO Score is a measure of how well the user and technical aspects of your website contribute to search engine optimization and, ultimately, increased organic traffic.
An SEO score of 100 is a minimum standard. It does not guarantee views, it just qualifies your video to be in the running. It is the starting point, not the ending point.

Shineykul

Your SEO score is inextricably tied to your ranking potential, even though it doesn't directly affect it.

The Jungle Explorer

Very Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
Your SEO score is inextricably tied to your ranking potential, even though it doesn't directly affect it.
Actually, it plays a very small role and only initially. I will quote Derral Eves on this, who said" "You are not going to GAME the YouTube algorithm." What he means by this is that no amount of SEO is going to matter if you do not have what YouTube wants. Derral explains this by saying, "Youtube is not a SEARCH index, it is a HUMAN index."

Here is the grave misunderstanding that most people have about how YouTube works. Video SEO only affects SEARCH indexing; it has no effect on HUMAN indexing, which is the ONLY thing YouTube cares about.

So what is the difference? SEARCH index is like a File Cabinet. The more organized things are, the easier they are to find. A Human Index has zero to do with things being organized in easy-to-find order. A human index is an exercise in controlling chaos. Think about it like this. Let's pretend that a human index is a city with a lot of restaurants. What decides if those restaurants are successful or go out of business?

Is it the location?
Is it the name?
Is it the Logo?
Is it their slogan?
Is it their exterior paint color scheme?
Is it their interior design?
Is it the type of food they serve?
Is it their advertising?

NO! All of these can be compared to SEO and can contribute to the success of a restaurant, but they will not ultimately determine the success of a restaurant. What determines their success is one thing, and this is; How many people eat there. You can have a restaurant with the best of all the above criteria, but if people do not eat there, it will eventually go out of business.

Now that you have this idea of a restaurant in your mind, let me use it to help you understand how the YouTube ranking system works. YouTube is like an investor trying to decide which restaurant to invest in. They absolutely could care less about how good your restaurant looks, where it is at, your name, your logo, the food you serve, or anything else. They care about only a few things.

1. How many people go to your restaurant.
2. How much of the food they eat off their plate.
3. Are they coming back for more.

What these three things represent are.

1. The Click.
2. Watch Time Retention
3. Does the viewer watch another video from your channel after watching the first one.

This is all YouTube cares about. You can have the best SEO on earth, but if you are not ticking those three boxes, you are going nowhere on YouTube. And you have to tick them all, not just one. Yes, you can create a great thumbnail that gets people to click on it, but if they immediately click off, it is bad for your channel and video, even if you get millions of clicks.

YouTube is a HUMAN index, not a search index. While SEO can have some initial value in helping your videos get suggested, if the human effect does not result in people ticking all three of those boxes, your video, and your channel will not be successful. That is the truth of YouTube.