• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Answered How Do You Backup

Zanet

TubeBuddy Legend
After 300 videos I'm beginning to think I should backup...Just in case

But The files on Google are Huge!

Any great suggestions on how to back up gradually

has anyone else had a similar situation?

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I am having a similar problem. My SSD drives are filling up fast on my main computers. I will probably have to explore some external storage options to free up space on my computers.

Reactions: Zanet

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I have two 4 Tb external drives, just for my YT videos. I keep 2 copies of all my backups. I have just under 700 videos and it is almost 2 Tb, but the newer cameras are making huge files! Maybe I should not keep all my raw footage?

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
After 300 videos I'm beginning to think I should backup...Just in case

But The files on Google are Huge!

Any great suggestions on how to back up gradually

has anyone else had a similar situation?

Gotta ask, what do you do with the files you use to create the video?

BraveStar

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I just bought this sucker recently because I was running low on space and I only have a couple of terabytes of space on my PC for personal files. For $100 you can't beat this. I keep a backup of all my files for each video I uploaded though the HD I had them on died on me so I lost it all. I plan on taking it to get fixed and hope I can retreat all my files including personal files.

Amazon.com_ Seagate Portable 5TB External Hard Drive HDD ΓÇô USB 3.0 for PC, Mac, PS4, & Xbox - ...p

BraveStar

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I have two 4 Tb external drives, just for my YT videos. I keep 2 copies of all my backups. I have just under 700 videos and it is almost 2 Tb, but the newer cameras are making huge files! Maybe I should not keep all my raw footage?

I recently saw a video from Linus Tech where he has a super huge backup server for his channel, thousands of terabytes of space, and his server failed costing him tons of backup files. He made some mistakes that cost him and now replaced it with a better one to avoid those same mistakes.

Double backups are definitely the way to go, especially with house cheap these HDDs are these days.

The Jungle Explorer

I should have been born 200 years ago!
TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
I keep a full-quality backup of every video I make. I have a double redundant backup system. I keep original files on a large internal HDD on my Desktop, which I back up to an external drive. The external drive is replaced by a new external drive each year and the older one is put into a fireproof safe and kept for two additional years. I download all videos from my YT channel and store them locally, and upload those files to my Google Drive. I do this because the YT compressions algorithm is second to none and if for some reason YT should change its policies and shut my account down, I want to keep the YT compressed files. You can also use the Google Drive videos as hosting and embed them into websites. So if you have videos that don't pass the YT sniff test and you want to use them on a website, run them through YT to get them rendered down for web streaming, download them from YT and then delete the YT file and upload it to Google Drive and embed the video from there. There are no restrictions for Drive videos since there are no ads attached to them. The restriction imposed by YT is because of Ad Friendly guidelines.

I literally have a brand new-in-box Seagate Iron Wolf 6TB drive sitting in front of me right now that is this year's new backup drive.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I just bought this sucker recently because I was running low on space and I only have a couple of terabytes of space on my PC for personal files. For $100 you can't beat this. I keep a backup of all my files for each video I uploaded though the HD I had them on died on me so I lost it all. I plan on taking it to get fixed and hope I can retreat all my files including personal files.

I been poking around Amazon also. I saw the external HDD 's. The one thing that held me back was, are backing up to HDDs very slow? I guess I have been spoiled the last few years with SSD and I no longer have HDDs in any of our computers. I replaced them all.

I understand that the HDD backup system will not be accessed very often but how is the speed of transfer of your video files from your computer to the external HDD? Is it bearable or reasonable? I've transferred raw video files from my phone directly to my computer and it takes a bit of time even through a USB 3.0 interface. So, I thought that transferring huge video files from my computer to the external HDD system might be unbearable. But I could be wrong.

Reactions: The Jungle Explorer

The Jungle Explorer

TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
I been poking around Amazon also. I saw the external HDD 's. The one thing that held me back was, are backing up to HDDs very slow? I guess I have been spoiled the last few years with SSD and I no longer have HDDs in any of our computers. I replaced them all.

I understand that the HDD backup system will not be accessed very often but how is the speed of transfer of your video files from your computer to the external HDD? Is it bearable or reasonable? I've transferred raw video files from my phone directly to my computer and it takes a bit of time even through a USB 3.0 interface. So, I thought that transferring huge video files from my computer to the external HDD system might be unbearable. But I could be wrong.

I just ran a test for you. Transferring from an intern HDD to an external HDD via USB 3.0. I transferred a 6 GB video file. Transfer speed was 125 MB per second. The total transfer time for the 6 GB files was 49 seconds.

It's not blazing faster but hardly slow. I will say that 2.5" HDDs are horribly compared to 3.5" HDDs. Most 3.5 HDDs are 7200 RPM, but there are some that are 10,000 RPM. My current external backup drive that I did the test on is only 5400 RPM. Most archival-quality drives are going to be a little slower because they are built for longevity, not speed. My data is too valuable to lose, so I go with the best.

Hope this helps.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I just ran a test for you. Transferring from an intern HDD to an external HDD via USB 3.0. I transferred a 6 GB video file. Transfer speed was 125 MB per second. The total transfer time for the 6 GB files was 49 seconds.

It's not blazing faster but hardly slow. I will say that 2.5" HDDs are horribly compared to 3.5" HDDs. Most 3.5 HDDs are 7200 RPM, but there are some that are 10,000 RPM. My current external backup drive that I did the test on is only 5400 RPM. Most archival-quality drives are going to be a little slower because they are built for longevity, not speed. My data is too valuable to lose, so I go with the best.

Hope this helps.

Yes, thank you. Absolutely helps. Based on your measurements, 6 GB at 49 seconds is "reasonable".

And you did answer another question I didn't ask: What are the specs of the external backup drive? I didn't like the answer that it is 5400 RPM because I thought I long ditched 5400 RPM drives. But it appears I may have to rethink this.

I really hate the idea of having to deal with external drives but it seems I have no choice and it's inevitable.

The Jungle Explorer

TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
Yes, thank you. Absolutely helps. Based on your measurements, 6 GB at 49 seconds is "reasonable".

And you did answer another question I didn't ask: What are the specs of the external backup drive? I didn't like the answer that it is 5400 RPM because I thought I long ditched 5400 RPM drives. But it appears I may have to rethink this.

I really hate the idea of having to deal with external drives but it seems I have no choice and it's inevitable.

I don't trust the cloud. I trust myself and what I have control over. I have terabytes of data I cannot afford to lose. Some years ago I remember a cloud backup company folded and gave users 24-hours to get their data backed up before their servers shut down. o_O I cannot imagine if they would have done that to me. I would be in prison if they did that to me and I did not have a local backup of all my files. This is why I keep my stuff local. I will use the cloud, but I do not trust it completely. Data storage is like climbing a tree. Always have at least three points of contact at all times. I have the cloud, my internal drives, and my external drives, and then I have my old drives from years before.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I don't trust the cloud. I trust myself and what I have control over. I have terabytes of data I cannot afford to lose. Some years ago I remember a cloud backup company folded and gave users 24-hours to get their data backed up before their servers shut down. o_O I cannot imagine if they would have done that to me. I would be in prison if they did that to me and I did not have a local backup of all my files. This is why I keep my stuff local. I will use the cloud, but I do not trust it completely. Data storage is like climbing a tree. Always have at least three points of contact at all times. I have the cloud, my internal drives, and my external drives, and then I have my old drives from years before.

I tend to agree with you on cloud services. They certainly have their place and made my life easier but they are not suitable for everything. My "cheat" has been having my personal data replicated across multiple local computers. But the darn video files are too large for that sort of thing.

All these different companies are trying to squeeze money out of me every month through a subscription for one thing or another and I've had all I can stand. So, yes, sometimes, you gotta go local.

• Love

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I do not trust most online storage either. I mean Google will probably be around for a while but I have had too many other online storage sites disappear. I just prefer to have my own backups (my daughter says that means I am old - I think it means experienced ha ha). I do not worry about the speed of backups because I am never in a hurry when I backup files. Any small stuff is pretty much instant, the video files are the only big stuff I backup. I can start copying it to a backup drive, then tab over to Netflix and let it copy in the background. If it takes a minute or 90 seconds - no big deal. :cool:

• Love

The Jungle Explorer

TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
All these different companies are trying to squeeze money out of me every month through a subscription for one thing or another and I've had all I can stand. So, yes, sometimes, you gotta go local.

Welcome onboard the, "I can't afford another monthly subscription" bus. I have nothing against people wanting to make money, but I can only slice the pie so many ways. This is why I only use editing software I can own, like Corel VideoStudio. As soon as a company goes to a subscription model, they will lose me. I run an old XP system to use old software I bought 20 years ago, like Office 2000.

Most people I know make three times as much as me but are constantly broke because they have spent the money before they get their paycheck paying on debt and subscriptions. I always have cash and they are like, "How is that possible?" I just smile as say, "It's called living a debt-free life".

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Welcome onboard the, "I can't afford another monthly subscription" bus. I have nothing against people wanting to make money, but I can only slice the pie so many ways. This is why I only use editing software I can own, like Corel VideoStudio. As soon as a company goes to a subscription model, they will lose me. I run an old XP system to use old software I bought 20 years ago, like Office 2000.

Most people I know make three times as much as me but are constantly broke because they have spent the money before they get their paycheck paying on debt and subscriptions. I always have cash and they are like, "How is that possible?" I just smile as say, "It's called living a debt-free life".

I am a financial guy so I know the math on subscriptions for all the stuff needed for YT as well as biz expenses. When you are the one selling, you want the ongoing income. When you are the buyer, you want expenses to be fixed and non-recurring. I buy all my phones & gear outright, not financing. Free & clear is a good thing. What other people do is their thing. I just try to keep my eye on my ball in my game.

Having said all that, It is getting harder and harder to dodge subscriptions but I do have Filmora X with a lifetime license (and free upgrades) and Microsoft Office 2010. The other stuff like web hosting, insurance, etc. I try to pay annually vs. monthly to get maximize the discount. When I got my TB Pro subscription, I paid it for the year to maximize the discount.

• Love

The Jungle Explorer

TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
I am a financial guy so I know the math on subscriptions for all the stuff needed for YT as well as biz expenses. When you are the one selling, you want the ongoing income. When you are the buyer, you want expenses to be fixed and non-recurring. I buy all my phones & gear outright, not financing. Free & clear is a good thing. What other people do is their thing. I just try to keep my eye on my ball in my game.

Having said all that, It is getting harder and harder to dodge subscriptions but I do have Filmora X with a lifetime license (and free upgrades) and Microsoft Office 2010. The other stuff like web hosting, insurance, etc. I try to pay annually vs. monthly to get maximize the discount. When I got my TB Pro subscription, I paid it for the year to maximize the discount.

I am that way too. I buy my phones used always two gens behind. What most people pay $1,000+ for, I get for $100. Works fine for me. Like you said, it used to be that all software was BUY. Now many companies are switching to the subscription model. I understand that they want a continuous fowl of income, and that is okay, but for some odd reason, when they switch to the subscription model they increase the price enormously. That is the real problem with subscription models. I feel it is dishonest and they are using sleazy car salesman technics to rape their customers. What I mean by that statement is, when you go to buy a car from a dealership, they refuse to discuss price, just monthly payment. They don't want you to think about the whole price of the car, just that "Easy Monthly Payment".

Take, for example, Quickbooks. I have been using Quickbooks Pro since the 1990s. I have always bought the Desktop version. It cost $299 to buy and use forever, but some of the most useful features have a sunset of three years. So I have to buy the newest version every three years. So it cost me about $100 a year. Now contrast that with Quickbooks Online. I have tested it out and to get the advanced features I use in QB Pro for Desktop, I would have to subscribe to the Advanced Online version which is $180 a month. That is an annual cost of $2,150! :eek: That is over TWO THOUSAND

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Take, for example, Quickbooks. I have been using Quickbooks Pro since the 1990s. I have always bought the Desktop version. It cost $299 to buy and use forever, but some of the most useful features have a sunset of three years. So I have to buy the newest version every three years. So it cost me about $100 a year. Now contrast that with Quickbooks Online. I have tested it out and to get the advanced features I use in QB Pro for Desktop, I would have to subscribe to the Advanced Online version which is $180 a month. That is an annual cost of $2,150! :eek: That is over TWO THOUSAND

I don't want to veer too far off the main topic of this thread. But let me assure you, as a long-time QB Pro for Desktop user, I have no love for Intuit in regards to what they are doing with QB Pro for Desktop pricing. But be assured, I understand and agree with you. It is outrageous & abusive.

• Love