• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Answered Sub4sub is wrong?Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Nevadacool

Nevadacool

www.nevadacool.com
Subscriber Goal
The thing that kind of stands out to me here is the misunderstanding of some of these numbers. As mentioned by @Ater it is 4,000 hours... which is a totally different metric than 4,000 views. Do all the sub swapping you want; you'll never get them to watch more than a few seconds of a single video and those 30 views per vid are never going to get you to 4k hours. So that is one of the problems with sub for sub; it does not get you any closer to monetization.

It takes work... both in the research and time in filming and editing as well as the thumbnails, scripting and metadata research (and yes, that is important too... I'll get to why in a moment). But worrying about gaining 150 subs in a single day and then losing a few... that is pittance. 1,000 subs and 4,000 hours is pittance. It may take time... but honestly if you can only gain 100-150 subs in a single day once per month then you are focusing on the wrong thing. Even if they are quality subscribers... and judging by those drop-off numbers they aren't. But I don't think there is a single person here who isn't aiming for 10,000, 100,000 or 1 million subscribers. And this is just not the way to get there. You need to think big. You need to have a much more global view of how you plan to grow your channel. This is another reason sub 4 sub is nonsense. You just can't sub 4 sub your way to 1 million subscribers and even if you did they aren't going to watch ads and you are not going to get paid. A couple months ago I had to do a sit-down with a channel that had 2 million subscribers and could only get 60 views on a video... the result of heinous sub 4 sub and purchased subs. That is a dead channel, there is no coming back from that. That means that every time they put out a video YouTube shows out 200,000 impressions to that channels audience and they get a return of 60 views. Think about the red flag that this sends to YouTube. Every video they ever post is going to be DOA before it even gets out the gate, they will never get shared out.

You know what helps YouTube to push video impressions? Good video performance. This is where keyword research and ranking for search comes into play. If you make a solid video, and then you do your keyword research and fill out your metadata and this video ranks in search for this topic then you are putting your video directly in front of people who are specifically looking for that exact video. What better way to get positive video performance than by doing exactly this? The better your video performs the more it gets shared out and the more you get seen.

And this is how you get 100,000 or 1,000,000 subscribers. Quality content first and foremost... but get that seen over and over again in front of audiences who are looking for that content. It may take time... but once it hits and once YouTube really dials in on that audience there is no better way to get in front of a large mass of viewers. And as an added bonus until this surge of growth happens you can at least count on getting perennial, evergreen views from these search ranks across your entire library. Give those videos a chance to keep working for you. I guarantee the work put into doing so is inexplicably more valuable than wasting time asking some Johnny-Come-Lately to subscribe to your channel in return for your subscription.
Well that was definitely an extensive reply however you made excellent points and I will follow your advice. Thanks again to everyone

c0nefn

Sub4sub is not going to help you get any views or build any type of community. A subscriber that does not watch your videos is useless. Why would anyone want to collect them?
those people who sub to you arent going to watch any of your vids, then youtube will think your vids are bad and wont reccomend it to people

Kilisitina Oloitoa

TubeBuddy User
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
im a youtube newbie, and have that eager to grow my channel. so to be honest I have been doing that sub4sub. but reading this community thoughts about it, man I gotta say I am so lost

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
im a youtube newbie, and have that eager to grow my channel. so to be honest I have been doing that sub4sub. but reading this community thoughts about it, man I gotta say I am so lost
It is a complete lose/lose situation. If YT catches you doing it - your channel gets deleted. If you get away with it - you have a bunch of nonwatching subscribers. The algorithm will see that even your subscribers do not care enough to watch your vids.

TubeBuddy is a good SEO tool to help you get noticed. It is not a magic bullet and will take work, but it can work.

There is nothing to be lost about. Just do not do sub4sub. Do not get involved in any of the subs or views scams out there. Make quality videos, and build your community. It may take a while (sometimes a long while) but that is the only dependable way to grow a channel.

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Just looking at your channel, man, you have some real skill in the home improvement niche. There's a guy, Paul Peck Dry Wall, who just hit 195k subs. He got started just like you right here on TubeBuddy. Honestly I'd go talk to him, watch his videos and pick his brain. Look at how he does his videos. See if you can implement some of those things.

Not to toot my on horn, but I took my dad woodworking tool and started making fishing floats and handline reels, and I'm almost at 10k subs. I got started the same way. Just been hammering out videos over the years, getting better. Now that I'm at 10k subs, now will have to start thinking about how to scale to 100k. Took me seven years just to get to 10k.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Don't do it any more, and keep pushing on doing the things the right way. YouTube will end up dropping some of those subscriptions from your channel (so be ready for that). And you are never going to get a perfect 100% conversion rate for subscribers. So just take this as a lesson learned and don't do it any more. However many sub4sub subscriptions you currently have it isn't an insurmountable number yet.

Kilisitina Oloitoa

TubeBuddy User
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Don't do it any more, and keep pushing on doing the things the right way. YouTube will end up dropping some of those subscriptions from your channel (so be ready for that). And you are never going to get a perfect 100% conversion rate for subscribers. So just take this as a lesson learned and don't do it any more. However many sub4sub subscriptions you currently have it isn't an insurmountable number yet.
absolutely true,

I have been seen my subs dropping and its frustrating lol

Lesson learned and it is time for my butt to start working

Thanks heaps

Appreciate it

Shelly Saves the Day

TubeBuddy Staff
TubeBuddy Staff
shellysavestheday.com
Subscriber Goal
Trying to increase your engagement or metrics artificially is a violation of YouTube's Terms of Service.

By YouTube's own definition:

If you're posting content
Don’t post content on YouTube if it fits any of the descriptions noted below.

• Links to or promotes third-party services that artificially inflate metrics like views, likes, and subscribers
  • Content linking to or promoting third-party view count or subscriber gaming websites or services
  • Offering to subscribe to another creator’s channel only if they subscribe to your channel (“sub4sub”)
    • Note: You're allowed to encourage viewers to subscribe, hit the like button, share, or leave a comment
  • Content featuring a creator purchasing their views from a third party with the intent of promoting the service
This policy applies to videos, video descriptions, comments, live streams, and any other YouTube product or feature. Keep in mind that this isn't a complete list.

YouTube doesn’t allow anything that artificially increases the number of views, likes, comments, or other metrics either by using automatic systems or serving up videos to unsuspecting viewers. Also, content that solely exists to incentivize viewers for engagement (views, likes, comments, etc) is prohibited.

Content and channels that don't follow this policy may be terminated and removed from YouTube.

Important: If you hire someone to promote your channel, their decisions may impact your channel. Any method that violates our policies may result in content removal or a channel takedown, whether it's an action taken by you or someone you've hired.

Long story short, it's against TOS and can get your channel taken down. Don't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.