• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Official How To Get More Views and Subscribers

spookyboo

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
www.scarystorytime.com
Subscriber Goal
Was that you? Thanks for looking. I appreciate the comment, too. I get so few but I value what I get as most are regulars. My regulars hang out almost every premiere for 30 minutes and then the full 2.5 hour livestreams on Saturdays all of the time.
CTR is 1.9%
AVD is 1.8 -- I think it's getting in front of the wrong audience is why. Horror people love this story.

OP
OP
Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Was that you? Thanks for looking. I appreciate the comment, too. I get so few but I value what I get as most are regulars. My regulars hang out almost every premiere for 30 minutes and then the full 2.5 hour livestreams on Saturdays all of the time.
CTR is 1.9%
AVD is 1.8 -- I think it's getting in front of the wrong audience is why. Horror people love this story.
Sorry... what is the AVD? Rather than the amount of watch time can I get the watch % of your video? As well as the number of impressions it has. Sorry to hound you about this but I think I may have some insight for you, I just want to be sure about the numbers before I say anything concrete.

spookyboo

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
www.scarystorytime.com
Subscriber Goal
Sorry... what is the AVD? Rather than the amount of watch time can I get the watch % of your video? As well as the number of impressions it has. Sorry to hound you about this but I think I may have some insight for you, I just want to be sure about the numbers before I say anything concrete.

You asked me and I had to look it up and guess. AVD = Average View Duration on the engagement tab, at least that's what I'm assuming you meant.

OP
OP
Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
You asked me and I had to look it up and guess. AVD = Average View Duration on the engagement tab, at least that's what I'm assuming you meant.
If you scroll down on that tab there will be a graph of your video viewership and the 'average percent viewed,' can you send me a screenshot of that? This would be invaluable.

Reactions: spookyboo

spookyboo

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
www.scarystorytime.com
Subscriber Goal
The audience retention graph?
One thing is that it is also not a premiere. I premiere most of my videos and the people stick around. This was only 3 minutes long. This is why I think it is getting in front of the wrong audience unless my regulars watch. My normal average retention rate is much higher usually for livestreams and premieres.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 10.54.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 10.54.43 AM.png
    36.5 KB · Views: 233
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 11.00.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 11.00.56 AM.png
    99.4 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
OP
OP
Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
The audience retention graph?
One thing is that it is also not a premiere. I premiere most of my videos and the people stick around. This was only 3 minutes long. This is why I think it is getting in front of the wrong audience unless my regulars watch. My normal average retention rate is much higher usually for livestreams and premieres.
You are definitely getting throttled a bit due to that retention/CTR. For a 3 minute video you want to aim for about +80% retention (so an AVD of about 2:30). And of course you want your CTR to be closer to the 10% mark. It is likely that your audience has been tuned to enjoy your VOD's (what YouTube calls your videos) as Premieres and changing your publishing habits has confused them, which in turn is affecting your video performance. Personally I am not the biggest fan of Premieres; if overutilized they tend to lose their luster. However, you should not be getting throttled by YouTube specifically because it is a video rather than a Premiere. YouTube is putting you in front of viewers based on performance, not format. It is possible that they get this wrong; the entire first 7 days after a video is published is dedicated entirely to YouTube discovery; YT is testing your video out to different audiences with different viewing habits in order to ascertain who is enjoying it the most and how much they are enjoying it. After that first 7 days the video will end up going through several more cycles of discovery; you will see viewership changes at the 30 day, 90 day and 120 day marks as well.

In a circumstance like this I would suggest experimenting with your thumbnail/title/description. The video is going to die quick with those numbers, so why not try to breathe new life into it by trying out different variations of metadata or thumbnails to see if that can kickstart it. It's a good opportunity to do so without hurting a video that you have more invested in.

spookyboo

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
www.scarystorytime.com
Subscriber Goal
You are definitely getting throttled a bit due to that retention/CTR. For a 3 minute video you want to aim for about +80% retention (so an AVD of about 2:30). And of course you want your CTR to be closer to the 10% mark. It is likely that your audience has been tuned to enjoy your VOD's (what YouTube calls your videos) as Premieres and changing your publishing habits has confused them, which in turn is affecting your video performance. Personally I am not the biggest fan of Premieres; if overutilized they tend to lose their luster. However, you should not be getting throttled by YouTube specifically because it is a video rather than a Premiere. YouTube is putting you in front of viewers based on performance, not format. It is possible that they get this wrong; the entire first 7 days after a video is published is dedicated entirely to YouTube discovery; YT is testing your video out to different audiences with different viewing habits in order to ascertain who is enjoying it the most and how much they are enjoying it. After that first 7 days the video will end up going through several more cycles of discovery; you will see viewership changes at the 30 day, 90 day and 120 day marks as well.

In a circumstance like this I would suggest experimenting with your thumbnail/title/description. The video is going to die quick with those numbers, so why not try to breathe new life into it by trying out different variations of metadata or thumbnails to see if that can kickstart it. It's a good opportunity to do so without hurting a video that you have more invested in.

Thanks. I'll keep trying. My keywords are in a terribly competitive niche. I added some zombie phrases and other stuff today although I think originally I was using those. One day I'll get it down.

OP
OP
Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Thanks. I'll keep trying. My keywords are in a terribly competitive niche. I added some zombie phrases and other stuff today although I think originally I was using those. One day I'll get it down.
You got this. And while you are in a competitive niche there is absolutely rom for you to get a foothold... finding those 'gem' keywords and capitalizing on trending topics are two things that if done right can make a MASSIVE difference in your growth trajectory.

Gaming with Char

Make the best content you can, every time make a better video than the last. Keep learning how to use your video editing software better, keep learning how to come across in videos better, every time you make a video make sure its the best one. Good luck and I hope you achieve your dreams xx

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

spookyboo

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
www.scarystorytime.com
Subscriber Goal
You got this. And while you are in a competitive niche there is absolutely rom for you to get a foothold... finding those 'gem' keywords and capitalizing on trending topics are two things that if done right can make a MASSIVE difference in your growth trajectory.

I'm wondering something. 3 things happened in 2018. First, I had those issues with YouTube actually losing me in cracks for remonetization. Then this year I found out some woman with 500K subs changed her name to something very similar to mine and suddenly I am hard to find under my original branding of spooky boo. People had to enter spooky boo's scary story time to actually find me. So I changed it to spooky boo rhodes this year because I'm well branded. I don't think my content is bad and I don't think my thumbnails are bad. Some thumbnails might be but they're not terrible.

I don't think the thumbnails getting put before people who like the type of content I do which is why the clicks are low. Before these two things happened I was getting 300 views per episode. I don't think that people in my genre are seeing me because my keywords are oversaturated sometimes I'm sure although I try many different things, but also, hear me out...one of my popular keyword searches is Spooky Boo. So what if that woman's audience is searching for her and getting me then realizing I'm not what they're looking for and when they realize it isn't me they either don't view or leave while ruining my chance of discovery. Could this be hurting me? Is that a possibility to look into? I don't want to change my name again.

OP
OP
Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I'm wondering something. 3 things happened in 2018. First, I had those issues with YouTube actually losing me in cracks for remonetization. Then this year I found out some woman with 500K subs changed her name to something very similar to mine and suddenly I am hard to find under my original branding of spooky boo. People had to enter spooky boo's scary story time to actually find me. So I changed it to spooky boo rhodes this year because I'm well branded. I don't think my content is bad and I don't think my thumbnails are bad. Some thumbnails might be but they're not terrible.

I don't think the thumbnails getting put before people who like the type of content I do which is why the clicks are low. Before these two things happened I was getting 300 views per episode. I don't think that people in my genre are seeing me because my keywords are oversaturated sometimes I'm sure although I try many different things, but also, hear me out...one of my popular keyword searches is Spooky Boo. So what if that woman's audience is searching for her and getting me then realizing I'm not what they're looking for and when they realize it isn't me they either don't view or leave while ruining my chance of discovery. Could this be hurting me? Is that a possibility to look into? I don't want to change my name again.
That is unlikely. It probably happens, but not to any extent that is going to affect you by that much. My thought on this... how many people are specifically searching for this Spooky Boo channel that have not already subscribed to her? That number is going to be pretty low. Rather than focusing on the searchability of your channel you should focus on the searchability of each individual video. And I have to add that while I would agree there is nothing 'wrong' with your thumbnails you do need to get yourself into the mindset of making them better. Always. You can never not be making them better. The single biggest thing that is standing in the way of your channel is going to be your watch time or your click through rate (CTR)... and the odds favor your CTR being the biggest detriment to your channel's performance.

Switch with Christi

The SEO is what I am currently working on learning. I am having issues with the creating a title that grabs people too, since the title should also describe what the video is about, I feel kind of limited. My video is a Blind let's play episode of a specific level of a specific game and I am unsure how to be creative with the title without being clickbaity (which I absolutely despise!) I will get there eventually, and I am willing to put in the work....I am hoping that having TubeBuddy will increase my ability to understand these things more easily. Thank you for the information.