• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Gear Question What would you buy if....

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
If you had a budget of $2000 what would bit of gear would you buy first, or what bit of gear would you upgrade and why?
Can also be multiple bits of gear. Just curious what people would and wouldn't get.

Reactions: Paddle & hike

Paddle & hike

Familiar Member
TubeBuddy User
Hmmm I won't go crazy here but...
Canon M50 with External microphone and CM-EF lens adaptor.
I would get maybe a wide lens too to go with it.
Screenshot_2021-02-11 Canon EOS M50 Mirrorless Camera Kit with 15-45mm lens(Black) Amazon ca C...png

There's better but they weight more... I'm hiking so i want something as light as possible.
This one's very very good for the weight vs quality ratio.

tropicthunder

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
If I have that amount of money right now, I would immediately hunting for my PC components. Mine right now is from 2015, needed upgrade so much. So much time wasting just to finish rendering, let alone while editing. Also I need a new monitor, preferably IPS display, so the color have a better accuracy.

SILTHW

Professional cat wrangler
Subscriber Goal
If it is "mad money" to use to splurge, I would absolutely get a 17" commercial teleprompter.

I do a lot of "virtual" speaking engagements and being able to display the other person directly in front of the camera (beam splitter glass FTW) so it looks like I am staring them in the eye when I'm speaking would be amazing.

In my current setup, you can tell when I look down at the field monitor and that has always bothered me.

I've tried the less expensive systems where you use your own monitor, but nothing comes close to a high-quality commercial product.

Reactions: Beanie Draws

Sageofwargaming

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I would buy a new camera lens first, then maybe a better microphone, then better lights.

nate polmateer

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
If you had a budget of $2000 what would bit of gear would you buy first, or what bit of gear would you upgrade and why?
Can also be multiple bits of gear. Just curious what people would and wouldn't get.

Camera, lights and mic. All of these can be purchased in that 2k budget. Neweer lights, rode mic and M50 camera. An awesome lense would be a dream but wouldn't fit the budget of 2k :)

nate polmateer

Known Member
Subscriber Goal
I'd buy a camera (not sure what type) and more lights . If I had money left over, a better microphone.

I have heard even if the picture is great and the sound is terrible people won't watch, but if its reversed sound is great but the picture is terrible they will. Wonder if we all have it backwards. Im in the same boat as you got my camera first. Was so annoyed with my phone and it auto focusing every 10 seconds lol

HenryBR

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I'm all about having my computer setup with the latest technology. Thus, if a had a budget of such amount then I would max out on computer parts. Any cash left over, would be upgrade any gear that compliments my computer setup.

Kindred

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I've got a pretty good camera so maybe I'd go for editing software, lights and a range of tripods

WonderMonkey

TubeBuddy Pro
I would do some research and get a camera suited for being in camp and shooting the things I do. Right now I use my phone and a GoPro Hero9 and it does "ok" but I want that traditional camera. I'd throw in a directional microphone.

Then I'd have to learn how to use the darn thing.

WonderMonkey

TubeBuddy Pro
I have heard even if the picture is great and the sound is terrible people won't watch, but if its reversed sound is great but the picture is terrible they will. Wonder if we all have it backwards. Im in the same boat as you got my camera first. Was so annoyed with my phone and it auto focusing every 10 seconds lol

I think you had it right. The video has to be "good enough" and that's it. That's is the "in general" view of it, from my research.

Pete A Turner

Known Member
I just spent a bit more than 2k upgrading/replaceing gear. I bought a few used A6000 Sony cameras + a new lens, a used Roland 4 channel switcher. A few new tripods, a bunch of small things to improve cables etc. The show looks and sounds great. The next 2k won't be gear...though I am going to be updating my road kit...But I have a sponsor covering most of those costs. If I had ANOTHER 2k? ads, ads, ads.

Reactions: Damon