• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Opinion Watchtime hours are a JOKE!

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
YouTube is Not Easy. BUT. every single person who uploads their first video has exactly the same opportunities as everyone around the planet. YT doesn't discriminate. it doesn't look at a Channel and think, nah, not you mate.
but there is a reason why only something like 3% of all Channels on YT end up with over 100k subs. And that's all down to the effort they put in. I KNOW I'll get 100,000 subs, But I also know it won't be 2020, and probably not 2021. But that's cool, because that is Life.

This. Everything is summed in this.

CBDHeadquarters

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
www.cbdheadquartersemporium.com
Subscriber Goal
How about flipping your thinking?
You're obviously driven by making Money and not the Viewer or the Game, so how about this...

You obv CAN'T be monetised on Youtube with Adsense before 1000/4000. BUT. You can get monetised on Adsense. So why not start a Blog about your Videos. Embed the Videos into your Blog. And run Adsense Banner Ads on your Blog Posts.
Getting traffic to a blog post is no different to getting traffic to a Youtube Video. it's all SEO, Tags and Metadata. And in fact, actually HELPS your YouTube Videos further down the road. For example, about 20-30% of my Views on my YT are External. As in, my Blog Posts give me 30% of my YouTube traffic. Anywhere between 5000-8000 views a week come from my Blog.

So instead of waiting for the 1000/4000 on YT and start earning Now!
PS... Affiliates can also earn you money before 1000/4000.
PPS... I was earning money long before I qualified for the Partner Program on YT
I just learned something :cool: I never knew about the 1k/4k, Thank you!
Myself included embeded the videos on my external link recently to help grab additional views. This post reply is AWESOME!

It was 4,000 views
Now it is 4000 hours
And maybe become more difficult than that
I think the bar is always going to be set higher. Considering all the extra traffic on youtube and all us new creators trying to make a footprint. I was told from pros just concentrate on creating and uploading more great content and in a year or two it will all pay off.
I'm not thinking we will ever have the luxury to stop unless you want your channel to drop off. One should be thinking, during the process, if this is what you want to do? Can I grind this long, edit, SEO etc because as you know know, there is a lot behind all of this if you want to be seen. Its going to be a lot of hard work for a long time considering some channels have thousands or hundreds of thousand even 10's of millions of subs...

• Love
Reactions: Damon

DamoΓÇÖs Paintings

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I think the bar is always going to be set higher. Considering all the extra traffic on youtube and all us new creators trying to make a footprint. I was told from pros just concentrate on creating and uploading more great content and in a year or two it will all pay off.
I'm not thinking we will ever have the luxury to stop unless you want your channel to drop off. One should be thinking, during the process, if this is what you want to do? Can I grind this long, edit, SEO etc because as you know know, there is a lot behind all of this if you want to be seen. Its going to be a lot of hard work for a long time considering some channels have thousands or hundreds of thousand even 10's of millions of subs...
Yep I agree, one thing that really riles me up are these stupid sub for sub requests, some creators seriously think they can build up a channel then go spamming everyone for subs everywhere they can, theyΓÇÖre so focused on that they sometimes forget to put decent videos on their channel, then they go on a rant fest about why they arenΓÇÖt gaining views and subs, and trying to make people feel sad for them, when I uploaded my first 5-10 videos, I saw literally no views or subs, so what did I do? I kept uploading, and kept at it, and as the videos were going on, people started noticing, I did have to promote myself on other platforms, but nothing more, and now I have a nice little following going on, and I donΓÇÖt plan to stop, like everyone says, this is a marathon, not a sprint! HereΓÇÖs to growth for those that are working hard at it

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I mean, it depends on your outlooks, your goal, and who you serve. If you're only serving yourself, only wanting $ and only wanting monetisation, then yeah, I guess it is a bit of a "joke" (I had my complaints about it at the start as well) but I think in the long term it makes sense.

If you're only after monetisation, reall you should be looking elsewhere for $. some 30k+ channels getting THOUSANDS of views, struggle to make $100 a month, and $100 a month is the youtube minimum monthly payout. If you don't reach $100 in a month, you have to wait 2 months, if you have roughly 1k subscribers and not as many views, but you've JUST made monetisation, you could be waiting 3-4+ months to get any payout at all...

You could get a part time job and make SIGNIFICANTLY more in far less time.

Now, if you simply want to serve the best content you can, and you're happy to do this for years without worrying about monetisation. then you can focus on making great content that people actually want to watch, and the watch time will come before you even know it. It's all about priorities and what we care about most as creators.

Steve the Barman

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
stevethebarman.com
Subscriber Goal
:joy: @Beanie Draws WOW. Aren't you just one of life's Dream Shatterers! :joy: About 1000 people who'll eventually read your reply will be thinking, "ah Sod this, 30k Subs and only $100...may as well quit now!" :joy:

It is quite funny though. the Tubebuddy Plugin. I often look at other Channels in my niche. Not the big huge ones with over 250k subs. but the ones with 50k to 100k Subs. they've got millions of views. They upload every week, yet most of them, I get double the amount of weekly views. that does amaze me. Because while they get 2000-6000 views on a new video in 48 hours or so, the rest of their content just dies. Whereas mines the opposite. I get about 300 views in 48 hours off 5000 Subs, then 3 months down the road, half of them will have gone on to get thousands.

Anyway. not relevant to the post... but I just find people perceive big channels as the holy grail, instead of making awesome content that lives on for a few years!

• Love
Reactions: CBDHeadquarters

CBDHeadquarters

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
www.cbdheadquartersemporium.com
Subscriber Goal
By the way I hit my 4000hour of watch time last saturday!
Congrats What an amazing feeling that must be.
hard word.jpg
Keep killing it, thanks for sharing as it inspires me!

Reactions: originalraith

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
They upload every week, yet most of them, I get double the amount of weekly views. that does amaze me. Because while they get 2000-6000 views on a new video in 48 hours or so, the rest of their content just dies. Whereas mines the opposite. I get about 300 views in 48 hours off 5000 Subs, then 3 months down the road, half of them will have gone on to get thousands.

... but I just find people perceive big channels as the holy grail, instead of making awesome content that lives on for a few years!

That's my thing, most of these people have content that lives for days, and that's it. I notice my content just continues to grow over the years. Most people don't look at the years you've put into something. They only look at the here-and-now. They scream, "UNFAIR! UNFAIR! UNFAIR!"

Master Yoda said it best, "When 900 years old, you reach, look as good, you will not!" Most people simply don't have the staying power. That's fine, they'll quit soon enough to make more room for people like us who will stick in out in the long run and actually make a success out of this. That's the real test. Like most things in life, most will fail.

WorldComposting

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Watch time simply happens from having more videos and content to watch. The 1,000 subscriber is a harder target to hit and the one I think could be unfair in some ways for those who put out great content but not something you subscribe to such as repair videos or DIY projects. These can be one time views were you rack up a diverse audience but not people looking to subscribe.

I'm sure the real purpose of the minimums was to stop from having a 100 billion little channels that take a year or more to build up a $100 payout which can be hard to track. Most people will get $100 a year when they hit the minimums so they can make sure the money made is paid out which is easier to track for tax purposes as well.

Reactions: originalraith

kalaspuffar

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
danielpersson.dev
Subscriber Goal
Just as an experience and difference in perspective.

I had 300 subscribers and got monetized, and then Youtube updated their rule, and I lost my monetization privileges. So I looked at the requirement, and I had almost double the amount watch hours as required, but with my 300 subs, I knew I had a long way to go until I got back the privileges to add advertisements to my videos.

Then again, I don't do this for money I just was a little annoyed as I watched the small amount of money that accumulated on my account and dreamed about what I could invest in next to improve my production and it was taken away.

Keep doing the grind, and you will be there soon enough.

I hope this helps.
Best regards
Daniel