• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question What do people think about hiding your subscriber count?

avf28

TubeBuddy User
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I've seen a couple of small YouTubers suggest hiding the number of subscribers they have in order to actually increase their number of subscribers. Apparently, hiding your count erases people's idea of how small your YouTube page is and they're more likely to subscribe to your channel. I only have 50 subscribers and am thinking about doing this. Does anybody have any suggestions if I should or should not hide my count? Thanks!

Reactions: Jeff Goober

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
I've seen a couple of small YouTubers suggest hiding the number of subscribers they have in order to actually increase their number of subscribers. Apparently, hiding your count erases people's idea of how small your YouTube page is and they're more likely to subscribe to your channel. I only have 50 subscribers and am thinking about doing this. Does anybody have any suggestions if I should or should not hide my count? Thanks!

I think it's shady personally. What do you have to hide? is the INSTANT thought I get. I dont' see a benefit really, but curious to what others think/ say :)

Jeff Goober

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I tried it once but only for a few days lol I feel like when people do see a channel that has a pretty big following they are more likely to subscribe to that channel for some reason. I personally don't hide mine but I do wonder if I did if my channel would have gained more subscribers :neutral: maybe try it see if anything different happens.

Reactions: avf28

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I can kind of see why people do it. Sometimes it's to hide the fact they have such low subscriber counts and that they want to focus on the content rather than the milestone. Sometimes people see a low subcount as an indicator of the quality of the video. No subcount shown means you have to trust and watch the video on it's own merit before you judge. Others think people won't take a channel with under 100 subs seriously, so they hide it to give themselves a better chance of being taken seriously when taking the focus off the nuber.

That said, there's also those who manipulate the system, but they can't manipulate the views. They think JUST having 1000 subscribers will mean getting monetised. They have such high sub counts, but their view counts are super low, so instead of being pulled up on why a 1000 subscriber channel can only get 10 views on a video, they instead hide the subcount in the hopes of not being noticed or called out.

So there's multiple reasons. Some valid, some suspicious.

OP
OP
avf28

avf28

TubeBuddy User
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I tried it once but only for a few days lol I feel like when people do see a channel that has a pretty big following they are more likely to subscribe to that channel for some reason. I personally don't hide mine but I do wonder if I did if my channel would have gained more subscribers :neutral: maybe try it see if anything different happens.
I think I may try for a week or so and see how it goes. Judging by this thread I may not want to do it for too long

Aaron

Reputable Poster
TubeBuddy Legend
goldsteindigital.com
Subscriber Goal
I do tend to gravitate to channels with a higher sub count when seeking certain information seeing them as more worthy even though that isnt always the case.... that said I can see why someone would hide their sub count. I don't know if there is any data out there yet to support this though.

Reactions: Damon

tri haryanto

Subscriber Goal
I have below 50 subscribers and don't want to hide them. Like everybody, I want to get many subscribers and viewers. But the most important to me is what I share on my channel is something that I am interested in and think people need them. If finally, nobody views my video, then I still get my happiness by expressing my mind :) Hopefully by keep learning there will be progress. Let's don't forget to be happy

Reactions: avf28 and ACEHq

Moto Mengy

www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I thought about hiding my sub count at the beginning, I know a few other motovlog channels which do. In the end I decided to show it simply because when I see a channel with hidden subs I get a suspicious feeling, and I didn't want that feeling associated with my channel. Might sound strange but that's really why I went with it visible.

xPedro98

I don't think it's good to hide them.

I think when someone comments "our channel must have more subscribers!" or "your channel will be huge in the future" that's a lot!

IanDominicTV

Renowned Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I NEVER hide my sub count simply because I want full transparency in regards with my subscribers and what's the point of hiding it if you want to monetize your channel?

WayneSnr

I have had my channel years but never did anything with it. I have a little under 400 subs but next to nothing in terms of viewer activity. I personally wouldnt care about my sub count. Its only now I want to take things up a notch and with that will come increased views, interaction and subs hopefully.

Toyteller

Subscriber Goal
IΓÇÖm hiding my sub count as I really didnΓÇÖt think it mattered or not.

dcrafted

TubeBuddy User
www.dcrafted.com
Subscriber Goal
This is a useless theory generated on YouTube, I don't think hiding those numbers would add any benefit.

Also in the world of social Media, why to Hide, Social Media means Sharing everything.Build Trust with your visitors and subscribers. Dont Hide.