• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

How do you store all the videos you create?

WorldComposting

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
While I have had my channel going for a while I just recently crossed the 1TB mark for videos and the space being used is growing fast.

Right now I have a couple 4TB drives in a stablebit drivepool with mirroring on the certain folders. But I have been debating on moving to cloud storage.

How is everyone storing the content they create? Are you using the cloud, local, RAID and do you have an offsite backup? Or are you just deleting it?

Ikerot

Not a mod
TubeBuddy User
Ikerot.com
Subscriber Goal
Honestly, I'm just deleting them once they're uploaded to Youtube. If I ever plan on saving my videos personally I'd probably just use large USB sticks.
As a person who used to do that, I'd recommend buying a 1 or 2 TB storage and saving them. I still regret deleting my old videos from many years ago XD

Currently, I have a small 1 TB external drive and have since expanded with a 4 TB storage.

HeresJonnyy

While I have had my channel going for a while I just recently crossed the 1TB mark for videos and the space being used is growing fast.

Right now I have a couple 4TB drives in a stablebit drivepool with mirroring on the certain folders. But I have been debating on moving to cloud storage.

How is everyone storing the content they create? Are you using the cloud, local, RAID and do you have an offsite backup? Or are you just deleting it?
I used to delete them, then I decided to purchase a second hard drive and then store them on there. You never know when you may need it again! :)

Steve the Barman

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
stevethebarman.com
Subscriber Goal
I've got 2x 5TB Seagate External Drives purely for Video stuff.

Each Video has it's own Folder containing all the Photos for Thumbnails, All the Thumbnail Edits, Raw and Edited Audio files, Any Media i've added to the Video, Project files and obv the Produced Video and the original Video. So anywhere between 5gb and 15gb per YouTube Video!

Don't ask me why i keep them!They date back 3 years, and the only things i've ever gone back to are the Thumbnails! :joy:

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I have so many hard drives now. I have a 6tb hard drive which I'll probably get a second as a backup. And 2 other 3tb hard drives. Some of my videos can range anywhere from 4-40gb depending on the video, but my raw footage can be anywhere up to 4 hours long. I might look into cloud storage in the future because mechanical hard drives can and do fail, and I'm not a fan of deleting anything i've created. I also want access to my work files at all time as well.

Reactions: GearVlogz
OP
OP
WorldComposting

WorldComposting

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I have so many hard drives now. I have a 6tb hard drive which I'll probably get a second as a backup. And 2 other 3tb hard drives. Some of my videos can range anywhere from 4-40gb depending on the video, but my raw footage can be anywhere up to 4 hours long. I might look into cloud storage in the future because mechanical hard drives can and do fail, and I'm not a fan of deleting anything i've created. I also want access to my work files at all time as well.
I'm in the same boat I started small and have a few hard drives I have everything on but as I have been creating more and posting more often I noticed the space is going quick and I believe in keeping everything as in the future I might want to make a compilation video of projects. Cloud storage is an option but can get pricey when you get into the TB numbers.

• Love
Reactions: Beanie Draws

IanDominicTV

Renowned Poster
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I would delete old videos on my hard drive, but not on YouTube, unless it's doing so poorly.

Reactions: Damon

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal

I have a local 4 tb external and a local 8TB external I'm looking for better options, but I think this is a GREAT discussion. So many people I know don't even save the original finished video file they make.

Reactions: GearVlogz
OP
OP
WorldComposting

WorldComposting

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I have a local 4 tb external and a local 8TB external I'm looking for better options, but I think this is a GREAT discussion. So many people I know don't even save the original finished video file they make.
With multiple hard drives you can use Windows Storage Spaces or a purchased program like Stablebit Drivepool to create a single drive comprised of multiple drives and even have duplication. I started with Storage Spaces but it is an all or nothing for duplication so I switched to Drivepool which allows me to set which folders duplicate across drives just in case one fails.

I figured some might delete their videos once posted but this would mean if YouTube ever lost them or took them down they are gone so I keep all usable video footage I've taken. Granted I'm also the type of person that has all my photos backed up on my computer, google photos, and amazon photos just to be sure they are never lost.

ASMRSadie

ASMR Sadie
Subscriber Goal

I typically just delete them. I know later on if I want to go back and edit them or do something with them I can always download them from my channel so it shouldn't be a problem.

Dr_BoomStick

Subscriber Goal
i always save my completed vids .. you never know what could happen to your channel which is a big concern for me . while if i lost my channel id be devastated but at least id have the content to put back up on another channel and i keep mine on a HDD

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
I've been deleting them once the hard drive fill up. My computer is old. For my new computer build I will run six hard drive: two fast primary drive for editing, two 256 gig hard drives for project back up, then two 5+ terabyte hard drives for yearly bulk storage.

At the end of every year I'll buy two additional 1 TB hard drive to archive the footage of that year, then I'll erase all drives and have fresh storage for the next year.

OP
OP
WorldComposting

WorldComposting

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I've been deleting them once the hard drive fill up. My computer is old. For my new computer build I will run six hard drive: two fast primary drive for editing, two 256 gig hard drives for project back up, then two 5+ terabyte hard drives for yearly bulk storage.

At the end of every year I'll buy two additional 1 TB hard drive to archive the footage of that year, then I'll erase all drives and have fresh storage for the next year.

Not sure if you are still running spinning disks (HDD) for your primary but the difference between those and Solid State Drives (SSD) is shocking. My brother-in-law bought me a 128GB SSD a few years ago and I was shocked at how different my computer ran. Booting went from over a minute to ~15 seconds, loading programs took seconds and copying files from my SD card to the SSD went around 50MB/s. I still have regular HDD for video storage but all my video editing now takes place on SSDs. I have 3 of them (128GB, 512GB, 1TB) as they keep dropping in price the 1TB is the main drive 512GB is the editing drive and the 128GB is a cache for my drivepool. For long term storage you can buy regular HDD in the 2TB range ~$50.

Reactions: RAWMANNA33

Beanie Draws

Mythical Poster
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I would delete old videos on my hard drive, but not on YouTube, unless it's doing so poorly.
The problem with that though, is with quarentine meaning a lot of YouTube employees working from home, they're relying on a lot more automation, thus wrongful deletion of videos that don't violate terms of service, or perhapse someone gains access to your channel because you were mislead into accidently clicking a virus link. Having those old videos on a hard drive serves as a backup incase something happens to your channel.

Jeff Goober

Known Member
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I have a huge file with videos from as far back to 2015 till now.. I'll probably delete those soon because I might be running out of storage soon. I'm pretty sure you can buy backup hard drives though if you don't want to delete your videos.

• Love
Reactions: Beanie Draws

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I do everything on the phone... and storing that amount of content would be extremely difficult to do (I fill the available memory every ~5 videos). So I have my phone set up to automatically upload my clips to Google Drive. This has the added benefit of allowing me to easily access those clips to be recycled for future videos and social media presentation.