• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Sub 4 Sub is now against YT TOS!

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Hello Everyone!

You can find more information here: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6051134

However I'll highlight the part where it talks about sub 4 sub!

"We believe that growing your channel should be done by creating quality content that entices viewers to subscribe and not through artificial or coordinated exchanges.

Offering to subscribe to another creators channel solely in exchange for them subscribing to your channel, also known as "Sub4Sub," is not allowed. Creators who offer such exchanges risk losing subscriber numbers, receiving a Terms of Use strike, or even having their channel terminated.

Additionally, services that attempt to boost YouTube subscriber numbers through automated means or via a marketplace violate our Terms of Service, such as:

• Purchasing subscribers from third-party websites
  • "Sub4sub" exchanges and services from third-party websites that subscribe you to multiple channels which then subscribe to you back
It's okay to subscribe to a friend's channel and vice versa, or to ask your audience to subscribe to your channel. However, if you do this as part of an exchange it's not allowed."

What are your thoughts on this?

Personally I am glad I never supported or believed in sub 4 sub, and am happy to see this is finally addressed by YouTube!

DragoNate

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
www.dragonate.info
Subscriber Goal
YES!!!!! FINALLY! THANK GOD!

I am seriously SO happy that YouTube is finally doing something about it! Like, really! I have not gotten many of these on YouTube in a long time, but I see it constantly. I know people are still going to ask for subscribers on other channels, and people are getting "creative" with it as well (Has anyone seen the "don't look at my username" people?) but I'm just happy YouTube is doing something now!

Guitar Hack

Extremely Well-Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Now we will see a rise in fake channels to get around the sub 4 sub.
John Doe creates 2 channels, 1 real and 1 fake
Offers a sub 4 sub, but uses fake channel to reciprocate.
Strike avoided !!!

Life Effects

Known Member
TubeBuddy Star
Now we will see a rise in fake channels to get around the sub 4 sub.
John Doe creates 2 channels, 1 real and 1 fake
Offers a sub 4 sub, but uses fake channel to reciprocate.
Strike avoided !!!

Nah - I don't think this will be a big problem. Some will do that of course.
But now there are already two obstacles before you do it. Knowledge AND Rules.

If you respect either of them you stop it. :)

Trippst3r

TubeBuddy Pro
www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I am ecstatic to hear about this! I always got so frustrated seeing these comments. I do hope that we don't see a lot of dual accounts like @Guitar Hack mentioned, but we shall see. This will make me, personally, feel much more confident in making content and growing my channel!

OP
OP
TubeBuddy

TubeBuddy

Legendary Poster
www.tubebuddy.com
Subscriber Goal
Sub 4 sub and like 4 like and every similar theme really drives me nuts. It seems like the people who keep doing this are too focused on their numbers and not on their content. Not to mention that those subscribers never really turn into active viewers and commenters and participants for your channel. makes the numbers hurt

Agreed I focus more on the quality of the content than the highness of the view number on my Videos :)

Reactions: DragoNate

Guitar Hack

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
Awesome. I wonder how these people don't realize that sub4sub is meaningless.
Your probably right. I think YouTube would be looking at who you sub to. I'm sure that's scrutinised in your channel metrics. So I only sub to larger channels in my own niche and nothing else. And, I only like videos relevant to my channel. A narrow focus seems to be working. :D
Forget 'like for like' and 'sub for sub' as I'm sure it's a detrimental pursuit.

Michael J Elliott

Subscriber Goal
I'm glad YT implemented this but just to play devil's advocate for a moment, couldn't part of the problem be all the "how to" channels showing you how to gain 1000 subs in a week etc. With the amount of these channels offering those tips I can understand how people fall into the trap of believing subs are the gold medal YT standard. I've only got 44 subs and even I get swayed by the info channels showing how to gain subs.

Buddy Carchide

www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Hello Everyone!

You can find more information here: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6051134

However I'll highlight the part where it talks about sub 4 sub!

"We believe that growing your channel should be done by creating quality content that entices viewers to subscribe and not through artificial or coordinated exchanges.

Offering to subscribe to another creators channel solely in exchange for them subscribing to your channel, also known as "Sub4Sub," is not allowed. Creators who offer such exchanges risk losing subscriber numbers, receiving a Terms of Use strike, or even having their channel terminated.

Additionally, services that attempt to boost YouTube subscriber numbers through automated means or via a marketplace violate our Terms of Service, such as:

• Purchasing subscribers from third-party websites
  • "Sub4sub" exchanges and services from third-party websites that subscribe you to multiple channels which then subscribe to you back
It's okay to subscribe to a friend's channel and vice versa, or to ask your audience to subscribe to your channel. However, if you do this as part of an exchange it's not allowed."

What are your thoughts on this?

Personally I am glad I never supported or believed in sub 4 sub, and am happy to see this is finally addressed by YouTube!

I had someone offer on one of my latest videos and had to remind him of the new rule. Is there a protocol we must follow if this happens to me again? I don't want to be a "rat" however I don't want to get in trouble with the "YouTube Police" either... :)

Reactions: britaku

Guitar Hack

TubeBuddy Pro
Subscriber Goal
I had someone offer on one of my latest videos and had to remind him of the new rule. Is there a protocol we must follow if this happens to me again? I don't want to be a "rat" however I don't want to get in trouble with the "YouTube Police" either... :)
You could ignore the request. Or delete it.
Probably delete it so no one else sees it and wants the same from you.

Reactions: Rendoz