• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Owning video and audio assets and monetisation related questions

rob_char

Hi there,

I just signed up for these forums. I would first like to thank this community for existing. I've read through some of your threads, and the content is very valuable and interesting.

I have questions related to owning assets vs. using copyright-free and/or non-exclusive assets, and how their usage ties into monetization and earnings:

- If I use video footage AND audio files from subscription-based services that deliver non-exclusive video assets such as Storyblocks or Artlist, and I manage to reach monetization thresholds for a channel, will I receive 100% of the earnings?

- What if I just use the video footage from these services but own exclusive rights to the audio?

I am asking because it is my understanding that when a video is monetized on a channel, the audio is monetized independently from the video: if you own both the video asset and the audio, you earn more. Is this accurate?

I have also heard that the main earning from YouTube is from AdSense, and AdSense earnings are from ads; it is not as if owning the music then you will earn more.

I understand that if you own the music, you will receive Content ID revenue. Is that the only perk of owning the music? Also, there is the fact that no one else can demonetize your video because you are using their music too, maybe?

These questions are more generally related to me contemplating subscribing to Artlist, or Storyblocks (or others) to use amazing footage and assets to create original concepts on YouTube. I have already read that YouTube could refuse monetization because of "reused content", as in if the video is comprised of assets that have been used too many times, monetization could be refused. This must be very frustrating after having spent so much time developing a channel and finally reaching the thresholds.

Apologies for all these questions!

If anyone could bring their insights on these matters, I would be very grateful!

Many thanks.

Rob