• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Need Advice Google/Youtube Ads Ruined My Channel, I need advice

tunds

About 9 months ago, I wanted to grow my YouTube channel in terms of views so I created a video to help upsell my channel and ran ads on the video. This was the only video I ran YouTube ads on. Initially I took a bit of a short break and didn't really upload that many videos. So my subs were growing rapidly over 30k+ and it looked like I was getting a few extra views on my channel. The problem is that I realised that when I started uploading new videos I wasn't getting the same engagement as I was before. To put it into perspective within the first 24hrs for a vid my views would be close to 500 - 1k, CTR would be between 3 - 3.5% and my AVD would be over 3 - 4 mins which was all pretty good for my channel considering the content that I posted.

Now i'm rarely even hitting half of those numbers, I 100% regret running YouTube ads on my channel and if I could go back, I'd try to run my channel organically again, i've completely stopped all the ads on my channel. But what I wanted to know is what would you do? Do you think it's worth creating a brand new channel from fresh or should I try to fix this on my existing channel by creating more high quality content? I wish there was a way to purge subscribers that don't interact with your content since i've now realised that a lot of the new subscribers I gained, are not going to turn into loyal subscribers it's purely just a number there for vanity and i've damaged around 2 years of actual hard work just by running these ads.

What would you do this in this situation?

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I have seen some funny quirks of the new YouTube Promotions feature and I have my own reservations about it. But having run a few tests and spoken to a few people who work at YouTube I don't think there is anything in the Search and Discovery Systems that would actually be affected by using promotions to get additional impressions on your video. It is my understanding that issues are often a case of correlation and not causation. For example if a video starts to perform poorly while being promoted the assumption is that the promotion caused the poor performance when often it is a case of the video simply performing poorly on it's own and that is extending to the promotion as well.
I don't like the promotions feature and after testing it decided against this being a viable option for your channel unless you have an intentional, dedicated video specifically for the purposes of advertising on platform. I do not like the lack of options available for targeting an audience and I do not like the results that I saw nor was I happy with the return on investment I received from my trial. But I don't think that there is anything in the system that would directly affect a videos performance outside of the promotions system.

Reactions: Damon

SilverSurferTravel

Subscriber Goal
I have tried the promotions tab and I have to say that it worked fantastically for me and what I wanted to achieve. I think that one of the most important factors is to choose the countries you are targeting wisely. The CPM and RPM differ depending upon your niche and countries. An example would be if I want to highlight a specific video and have a target of say an extra 500 subscribers. It would cost me far less to get those subscribers if I targeted countries like Estonia, India or Pakistan than it would countries like the USA, UK or Germany. Viewers from those countries however would earn me less in ad revenue than the latter.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I was wondering about the promotions tab.
I really did not enjoy the test I did. Was not worth it IMO. I've heard stories from creators who said it worked well for them... Outdoors Fishing Dream had a positive experience and ended up with some decent results (though not outstanding). But my results were just not worth it:
1713888625191.png

I've heard rumors that running a promotion on a video can cause YT to pull the regular impressions for that video and then apply these paid impressions instead. I don't believe that is the case but I did see a small dip in impressions for these two videos during the promotion period. Not sure if that is related or not. But as you can see I paid $200 for 200,000 impressions, 1,000 views and 100 subscribers. That's $2 per subscriber, not the conversion rate I was looking for. Also the demographics that you specify are very generic. I couldn't target fishing fans or viewers of a specific channel or anything. I could only target viewers in Texas, which isn't specific enough for me.

TheTNPickers Show

Subscriber Goal
I really did not enjoy the test I did. Was not worth it IMO. I've heard stories from creators who said it worked well for them... Outdoors Fishing Dream had a positive experience and ended up with some decent results (though not outstanding). But my results were just not worth it:
View attachment 14751
I've heard rumors that running a promotion on a video can cause YT to pull the regular impressions for that video and then apply these paid impressions instead. I don't believe that is the case but I did see a small dip in impressions for these two videos during the promotion period. Not sure if that is related or not. But as you can see I paid $200 for 200,000 impressions, 1,000 views and 100 subscribers. That's $2 per subscriber, not the conversion rate I was looking for. Also the demographics that you specify are very generic. I couldn't target fishing fans or viewers of a specific channel or anything. I could only target viewers in Texas, which isn't specific enough for me.
Stanley, thank you for showing us your results. Hope all is well with you my friend been a while