• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Shorts killed my long form reach

TrixReactYT

Hi all. I started a channel 1 month ago (long form)

1st 10 videos did REALLY well for a new channel,
averaging 1k to 20k views
10k - 200k impressions per video
Blasted past 4k watch hours,
rapidly grew to 875 subs
Many comments

after watching some videos about shorts boosting channels I decided to remix some of my long forms into shorts and linked them to the long form video.. some shorts did well and others not so well. And maxed out around 100 subs across those shorts

ever since posting the shorts every new long form video has drastically tanked in impressions, views, subs and recommendations and even suggesting my new videos to a totally different audience

New impressions, views & subs etc per each new video
Impressions 1k- 2k
100- 400 views
Subs 1-2
Comments 0-3

Iv removed the shorts after enough digging I found many gurus advise to choose to post either long or short and not mix.

I understand IΓÇÖm still a new channel but I was on a roll and each video was getting views quick and was going directly to the niche IΓÇÖm in, everyone seemed to really enjoy my videos and now they are getting pushed to a total different audience instead of the actual niche IΓÇÖm in hurting the channel.

please somebody with some experience in this or if this happened to you and how you fixed it please give me some advice no matter how harsh it is.

I do not want to start blaming the algorithm and all that but the change was so dramatic
Iv tried changing titles changing thumbnails, descriptions, tags etc.. nothing seems to be working

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I've heard a lot of creators talk about this... but there always seems to be something else afoot. YouTube does push your newest video more than it does prior videos, they want to give preference to the newest content. This can cause a Shorts video to take impressions from a long form video if you post it after the long video. Otherwise there is simply not much correlation between videos on your channel and Shorts shouldn't make that drastic of an impact on your long form performance.
That is of course unless the Shorts videos are very different from your long videos. If a lot of Shorts viewers are converting over to your long form content and they are not enjoying these videos, watching and engaging with them then that does have the possibility of driving down their performance. You want to make sure that your Shorts videos set realistic expectations with your audience and what they can expect to see should they make that jump over to your longer videos.

OP
OP
TrixReactYT

TrixReactYT

I've heard a lot of creators talk about this... but there always seems to be something else afoot. YouTube does push your newest video more than it does prior videos, they want to give preference to the newest content. This can cause a Shorts video to take impressions from a long form video if you post it after the long video. Otherwise there is simply not much correlation between videos on your channel and Shorts shouldn't make that drastic of an impact on your long form performance.
That is of course unless the Shorts videos are very different from your long videos. If a lot of Shorts viewers are converting over to your long form content and they are not enjoying these videos, watching and engaging with them then that does have the possibility of driving down their performance. You want to make sure that your Shorts videos set realistic expectations with your audience and what they can expect to see should they make that jump over to your longer videos.
Hey man thank you for your comment it makes a lot of sense although my short was remixed from the long form videos them selves so they are in line with the long form content. Nobody crossed over to watch the long form version.. but what is confusing me is the high amount of impressions my long form was getting within the first hour/days of publishing (every video) then i remixed a short and posted a day or so later. And then all my next lot of long forms was a night and day difference in reach..

Iv done a whole lot of digging to try find the answers to what could of happened but itΓÇÖs been 50/50..

many people have experienced the exact same issue of having lots of impressions/views on their long forms and then soon as they post a short, after that their long form reach was near non existent.

the other half firmly disagree that the shorts would ever hurt long form reach and that itΓÇÖs just simply bad long form content. Which I acknowledge may be the case but IΓÇÖm just going off what IΓÇÖm currently experiencing

prior to posting the short it seemed as though the channel and videos just landed in the right place at the right time, a whole lot of impressions, views, comments, likes and subscribers, everybody was loving the content, each new video was getting more and more impressions and faster with each new video and after posting that 1 short that did fairly well for a small new channel, the long forms after that short then had the complete opposite effect, as I said like a switch had been flipped 1 day after the short.

I really hope it wasnΓÇÖt the short as I do like shorts and want to keep on implementing them into my channel. But you would have thought if the long form content was genuinely bad that the crazy uphill growth would have gone downhill abit slower rather than overnight

it was mind blowing but I guess that just the way it is and I will have to get better at my craft to grow

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I am not familiar with any issues that would cause something that dramatic and I am inclined to believe that this is going to be a case of correlation rather than causation... but I will keep an eye out to see if something pops up.