• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Channel Review Why has my channel been tanking recently?

Sir Palepaw

User name: Sir Palepaw
Title of thread: Why has my channel been tanking recently?
Self review: I'm not sure if it's my lack of videos being posted throughout the year or bad channel management, but my channel has been doing a lot worse recently. Is there any reason why this could be? The best reason I could come up with is that YouTube thinks I'm not uploading frequently enough.
Channel review or Video review? Channel review
Link to channel: https://www.youtube.com/@sirpalepaw1628/featured
Link to other review post: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/24811/

Half Ninja Giant

OKAY SO, I also do gaming videos so I'm gonna give this to you straight as possible and we can learn and ignore feelings.

You're doing a lot of things right, edits, thumbnails and even using chapters, subtitles etc are all at a pretty good level.

Imo a few of your thumbnails needs to be a bit more clear or legible.
If you take your most recent one there's a lot of colour attacking your eyes that for me who doesn't really know much about zelda,
I can't tell what's going on? HOWEVER, that's ME!! if someone from zelda community can be like "yup i can instantly identify that enemy" then it's cool.
On the plus side I really like how you've cropped the enemies onto a different background, if you know mythymoo? Look at his thumnails as an example as yours are similar!

(I just realised i saw one of your posts in the TB discord on thumbnails.)

The main issue I can see is your upload schedule is almost random.
It has to be consistent as in at least a video per week, usually on the same day per week because it's easier for the algorithim to pretty much find time to fit you into it's week.
Additionally, you have a comment saying how someone struggled to find you. My thoughts on the reason for this, is that I can't see what game you're playing. The game title is not in SOME of your titles or descriptions so just to add that and focus on a few communities?

To go back to consistency.
You've changed content a lot which I have also done, we get bored, we're human BUT that can really affect your views, especially with returning viewers.
If you look at your channel you have highest views on Zelda, GoW and Mario. It could be an idea to stick to them and limit your content to them for the moment so that your performance is better? then later add in more games and go more variety.
Again, it's the algorithim you're trying to get to "like you" and it likes consistency in all manners!

Don't spend time doing random videos on Black flag or subnautica if you don't want to consistently spend time on that series.

Take blackflag, if you do a series once every week on "Revisiting old AC games" and do the entire series then cool, but a one off can actually be more of a negative than a postive in terms of algorithim.

Best of luck! We're all grinding and learning together so keep it up! Will see you when you hit that 100k subs

OP
OP
Sir Palepaw

Sir Palepaw

OKAY SO, I also do gaming videos so I'm gonna give this to you straight as possible and we can learn and ignore feelings.

You're doing a lot of things right, edits, thumbnails and even using chapters, subtitles etc are all at a pretty good level.

Imo a few of your thumbnails needs to be a bit more clear or legible.
If you take your most recent one there's a lot of colour attacking your eyes that for me who doesn't really know much about zelda,
I can't tell what's going on? HOWEVER, that's ME!! if someone from zelda community can be like "yup i can instantly identify that enemy" then it's cool.
On the plus side I really like how you've cropped the enemies onto a different background, if you know mythymoo? Look at his thumnails as an example as yours are similar!

(I just realised i saw one of your posts in the TB discord on thumbnails.)

The main issue I can see is your upload schedule is almost random.
It has to be consistent as in at least a video per week, usually on the same day per week because it's easier for the algorithim to pretty much find time to fit you into it's week.
Additionally, you have a comment saying how someone struggled to find you. My thoughts on the reason for this, is that I can't see what game you're playing. The game title is not in SOME of your titles or descriptions so just to add that and focus on a few communities?

To go back to consistency.
You've changed content a lot which I have also done, we get bored, we're human BUT that can really affect your views, especially with returning viewers.
If you look at your channel you have highest views on Zelda, GoW and Mario. It could be an idea to stick to them and limit your content to them for the moment so that your performance is better? then later add in more games and go more variety.
Again, it's the algorithim you're trying to get to "like you" and it likes consistency in all manners!

Don't spend time doing random videos on Black flag or subnautica if you don't want to consistently spend time on that series.

Take blackflag, if you do a series once every week on "Revisiting old AC games" and do the entire series then cool, but a one off can actually be more of a negative than a postive in terms of algorithim.

Best of luck! We're all grinding and learning together so keep it up! Will see you when you hit that 100k subs
Thanks! I have been trying to work more on my thumbnails to make them better, so hearing about the color issue makes things easier! Someone on the community server told me the same thing, which is why I changed the outline color from red to white.

The reason I have been mostly making one-offs until now was because those were actually meant to be full series, but I didnΓÇÖt have enough confidence to pull off more than one episode. Even my recording didnΓÇÖt feel as fun. But as you couldΓÇÖve probably guessed, I managed to find the fun in it again.

As for the other consistency issue… well, I’m gonna be blunt with you. Editing is the biggest pain in my *** when it comes to making videos, which is why they take so long. Im still trying to get my motivation back to edit more and am also trying to take baby steps towards a more consistent upload schedule. I do think I’ve made some progress, but I’ve still got a ways to go.
Thanks for taking the time to help me out, by the way! IΓÇÖll still keep pushing until I reach a better schedule and, hopefully, gain a good enough following to have a career on YouTube in the distant future