• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Help Youtube auto translate subtitles

jim2611

Hi, my question is when I watch Youtube videos in a foreign language, I turn on subtitles and go to settings to change the subtitle language. For example, if the audio in the video is in German, after turning on the subtitles I can go to settings and change subtitle autotranslate to English. When I first started using it, I got English subtitles - it worked. But recently it won't work for German to English - if I choose another language like Greek the subtitles appear to the German Youtube video. I've tried going to Youtube master settings - nothing seems to help. I've switched from Chrome to Firefox but is the same. My desktop PC uses Windows 10. Has anyone got ideas? James, Sydney, Australia. EDIT 6 Oct 2023 - the Youtube German to English subtitle translation now works. Not sure what fixed it - Chrome/Firefox updates or resetting Chrome. Thanks to all who kindly replied :)

Last edited:

mimmo academy

Familiar Member
Subscriber Goal
Hi , sometimes the creator make the sub in that language, so you can after choosing that translate , close setting and reopen it , then will be another option, auto translate , so you can find your favorate translate there , it is not important that should be in English at first time

Reactions: jim2611

Baumi

Recognized Member
Subscriber Goal
YouTube versucht so gut es geht zu übersetzen, aber es ist nicht 100% korrekt. Aber Sie kennen das Problem von allen Übersetzern. Wichtig ist, dass Sie bei der Einstellung „Automatisch“ in Ihren Studioeinstellungen die englische Sprache ausgewählt haben.

jdar01

Hi, my question is when I watch Youtube videos in a foreign language, I turn on subtitles and go to settings to change the subtitle language. For example, if the audio in the video is in German, after turning on the subtitles I can go to settings and change subtitle autotranslate to English. When I first started using it, I got English subtitles - it worked. But recently it won't work for German to English - if I choose another language like Greek the subtitles appear to the German Youtube video. I've tried going to Youtube master settings - nothing seems to help. I've switched from Chrome to Firefox but is the same. My desktop PC uses Windows 10. Has anyone got ideas? James, Sydney, Australia

It seems like you've gone through some solid troubleshooting steps already. Since the issue persists across browsers and you've checked settings both on YouTube and your browser, let's delve a bit deeper. Firstly, clear your browser cache and cookies to eliminate any stored data conflicts. Ensure that your browser is up-to-date, as outdated versions might not align well with YouTube's features. Disable browser extensions one at a time to rule out any interference. Additionally, test in incognito or private mode to see if the problem persists without extensions. Check your Google account and Windows 10 system language settings, ensuring both are set to English. Testing on another device can also help pinpoint whether the issue is specific to your desktop.

If all else fails, use the online video translator that will allow you to translate any video from YouTube seamlessly. There are several third-party tools available that specialize in translating video content, providing you with accurate subtitles in your preferred language. Simply input the YouTube video URL into the translator, select your target language, and let the tool do the work. While it's an external solution, it can be a reliable alternative when native YouTube settings aren't cooperating.

OP
OP
J

jim2611

It seems like you've gone through some solid troubleshooting steps already. Since the issue persists across browsers and you've checked settings both on YouTube and your browser, let's delve a bit deeper. Firstly, clear your browser cache and cookies to eliminate any stored data conflicts. Ensure that your browser is up-to-date, as outdated versions might not align well with YouTube's features. Disable browser extensions one at a time to rule out any interference. Additionally, test in incognito or private mode to see if the problem persists without extensions. Check your Google account and Windows 10 system language settings, ensuring both are set to English. Testing on another device can also help pinpoint whether the issue is specific to your desktop.

If all else fails, use the online video translator that will allow you to translate any video from YouTube seamlessly. There are several third-party tools available that specialize in translating video content, providing you with accurate subtitles in your preferred language. Simply input the YouTube video URL into the translator, select your target language, and let the tool do the work. While it's an external solution, it can be a reliable alternative when native YouTube settings aren't cooperating.
Hi jdar01, since I posted my question Chrome and Firefox have had updates. I followed your suggestion and disabled the extensions. I also reset Chrome and re-enable the extensions. The English translation of German YouTube videos is now working on both Chrome and Firefox. I'm not sure what fixed it on both - updates? Thanks for your excellent suggestions :)