• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Opinion Are (educational) videos with cuts a total no-no?

Timbo_Teacher

Hi everyone!
This is my first time posting. I am starting a YouTube channel for teaching English as a second language and I am really excited about the content I have to offer! I am taking a course (Creator Fast Track) that says it's bad to put cuts in videos- it should be one long continuous shot. This is a problem for me because a big part of my content is fill in the blank exercises I will write on a whiteboard, and there are too many exercises to fit on the board all at one time.
Is it generally agreed that having cuts in videos is a seriously negative thing? If so, how do I get around this?
Thanks for any tips you can provide!

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Not so! Most of my channel is educational. Cuts are what make video watchable. Long shots are best done by the professionals in Hollywood. However, it really isn't about the cuts. Here's what I mean:

Before we talk about cuts, we need to talk about shots. Think in shots. It's about the shot. Here is an analogy: motion picture is a language like English. In English we have the alphabet. The alphabet is combined to form words. Words make sentences. Sentences make paragraphs. Paragraphs make chapters. Chapters make books.

In video, film and motion picture we have shots. A shot is the longest/shortest uninterrupted portion of any video. The shot is the alphabet of motion picture. (I use the terms film, video, movie and motion picture interchangeably.) Shots make scenes. Scenes make sequences. Sequences make acts. Acts make a movie.

How do you move from one shot to another? A transition. What is the most common and effective type of transition between shots? A cut. Watch any movie or T.V. show, and you will see lot of cuts between shots. Even in educational content from Public Television you will see cuts between shots.

Example 1: Bob Ross

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLWEXRAnQd0&list=PLAEQD0ULngi67rwmhrkNjMZKvyCReqDV4

I don't now if you've seen the Bob Ross "Joy of Painting" series. Note the number of cuts you see. Sure the shots are longer than what you would see in an action movie. Count the number of times you see the camera angle change. Each one of those is a hard cut, yet this guy made his entire career teaching painting.

Example 2: Bill Nye

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f6maa9xPDM

Again count the cuts. Look at how they use the shots. Notice the number of times the camera angle changes. Without cuts video is boring. It becomes nothing but a lecture. Frankly, the classroom lecture is the least effective way to learn anything. If you try to make your video like a lecture hall, not many will watch the video.

Example 3: How to Shoot Video That Doesn't Suck

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF0z9k93Y9Q

I recommend this book to everyone. There is even a chapter on tutorial videos. The easiest way to learn this is buy this book and do everything it says.

Baumi

Recognized Member
Subscriber Goal
Ich w├╝rde ein unertietel rein schreiben als einen Lauf von 10 sec einstellen oder h├╢her, dass das leuet es auch zb lesen kann. Aber mit der Sprache ist es sowieso schwer, das Richtige auszusprechen.