• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Help Changing my channel keywords decreased my views by half

fantasybits

Hello,

I originally had a video with 1,000-3,000 views per day on average. But ever since I've removed and edited all of my channel keywords on May 19th, concurrently my views across all my videos went down drastically the next day and continued to trend downwards from 900 views to only 100 views per day. Please help! If I re-edit the keywords, will I be able to bring the views back and how long should I wait for the changes?
Trend.png

Nody | Team TB

Administrator
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Heya! I have moved this topic to the YouTube Discussion sub-forum as the question is unrelated to TubeBuddy.

Additionally, changing channel keywords indeed impact your overall channel visibility up to a certain level, but the impact is negligible. Just because you changed the keywords doesn't mean your views will dip that much. As per the chart you provided us, it seems like some of your videos/videos that were getting a lot of views slowly started going down. It could be related to videos. Perhaps, the video is no longer trending or not being searched that often anymore?

You can definitely try replacing or going back to your old channel keywords, but I highly doubt that will give you the old performance. I, myself, love to change the channel keyword specific to a video or a playlist and usually add it there. Sometimes, it gives me a boost if people search that particular keyword on YouTube, but otherwise, I don't see any major impact.

1685944323296.png

If you head to analytics and YouTube search, you can check what are the keywords that were driving the traffic or views and can add them to see if it's helping. Also, don't forget to check your top-performing video analytics and compare its stats with your previous month to see if overall views have dipped or the top performer retains to provide you with the same result.

Please help! If I re-edit the keywords, will I be able to bring the views back and how long should I wait for the changes?

There is a 48 hours lag between the data you see in the analytics and the data that has been sent to YouTube. In this case, I suppose you will at least have to wait for 48 hours before you notice any significant changes in the views ( if any ) due to returning to your old keywords.

Reactions: Xavier De Buck

DerrickOlley

Hello,

I originally had a video with 1,000-3,000 views per day on average. But ever since I've removed and edited all of my channel keywords on May 19th, concurrently my views across all my videos went down drastically the next day and continued to trend downwards from 900 views to only 100 views per day. Please help! If I re-edit the keywords, will I be able to bring the views back and how long should I wait for the changes?View attachment 13698
I also think that it's not just about keywords! And in the very quality of the form and its popularity! It is worthwhile to analyze and improve in this direction!

Reactions: Xavier De Buck

The Jungle Explorer

I should have been born 200 years ago!
TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
Many factors can affect view counts for individual videos. For example, I have a two-year-old video that normally gets a few hundred views a month, but this month got 27k views. I did nothing. Why did the views skyrocket overnight? It is quite simple. The video is about a scam product and the company started running ads for the product on YouTube. As soon as they stop running these ads, the video will go back to normal.

This is just one example. Another example might be that some blogger shared your video and it got a bunch of attention and that attention died off. I have had this happen many times. Another possibility is that got deranked because it did not tick all three of the Binge-worthy boxes YT now requires for all videos to tick to stay up high in the rankings. And there are about a thousand other reasons. On this list of reasons that a video might suddenly start getting a lot fewer views, Keywords are way down on the totem pole of importance. .