• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Helping an old guy get started. Need some equipment advice?

The Jungle Explorer

I should have been born 200 years ago!
TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
So, an 80+-year-old man has asked me to help him set him up to vlog. He basically just wants to sit in front of a camera and record his memories. I want to set him up with something that will capture good video and great audio. Audio is key here since the old guy will be telling his stories. The issue is, it needs to be simple and reliable, not complex and difficult to set up. This is the problem I am running into on this.

Smartphones are a good option, but their selfie cameras are not the best and their microphones are crap, and they are complex to operate for older people. Action cameras like the GoPros are another option, but they have short battery life and also have bad mics. And again, they are complex to operate. I am thinking maybe an older model of Camcorder that has a remote control might be the ticket here. Just looking for ideas.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
So, an 80+-year-old man has asked me to help him set him up to vlog. He basically just wants to sit in front of a camera and record his memories. I want to set him up with something that will capture good video and great audio. Audio is key here since the old guy will be telling his stories. The issue is, it needs to be simple and reliable, not complex and difficult to set up. This is the problem I am running into on this.

Smartphones are a good option, but their selfie cameras are not the best and their microphones are crap, and they are complex to operate for older people. Action cameras like the GoPros are another option, but they have short battery life and also have bad mics. And again, they are complex to operate. I am thinking maybe an older model of Camcorder that has a remote control might be the ticket here. Just looking for ideas.
My two cents is to go the route of the smart phone. They tend to have the best mics for a budget (they are phones, after all) and their video quality is absolutely good enough for YouTube. Doesn't need to use the front-facing camera, train him to look into the lens of the main camera. Also for like $40 you can get a decent bluetooth lapel mic for better audio, and even that can be run through http://podcast.adobe.com/enhance for really good audio quality. It would cost hundreds of dollars to match quality like that with actual camera/mics.

OP
OP
The Jungle Explorer

The Jungle Explorer

TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
My two cents is to go the route of the smart phone. They tend to have the best mics for a budget (they are phones, after all) and their video quality is absolutely good enough for YouTube. Doesn't need to use the front-facing camera, train him to look into the lens of the main camera. Also for like $40 you can get a decent bluetooth lapel mic for better audio, and even that can be run through http://podcast.adobe.com/enhance for really good audio quality. It would cost hundreds of dollars to match quality like that with actual camera/mics.

Thanks, Stanley. I will probably go this route, but my concern is the complexity of the operation. This elderly gentleman has mobility issues and has trouble with touchscreens. Smartphones are great, but not really intended to shoot very long videos of maybe one to two hours. In my experience, they tend to shut down for one reason or the other after a period. They get hot, eat up the battery, or have 30-minute timeouts. This gentleman may sit and talk for a couple of hours straight and I need to set him up with something that is reliably not going to shut off for one reason to the other during that time. Just this morning, I visited him for coffee and as we sat on his porch, he started telling me about an event that took place back in the 1980s and he went on for two hours without stopping. It was an amazing story and I had nothing to record it with at the time. I personally would not trust any smartphones I own for this purpose because of them letting me down in the past. The same is true for action cameras. I cannot count the times they have shut down mid-session and given me no freaking alert to the fact they were not recording.

If I were doing the recording, I could do it with no sweat, but I need something this gentleman can use to do it himself. I remember having and old 8mm Sony Handycam that has an IR wireless remote that I could use to start and stop recording. I have been looking for modern camcorders with wireless remotes and cannot find any. Odd :confused::sleeping:

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
If you're gonna go the smartphone way here's one mic I have on my Amazon Wishlist that, according to several reviews, are pretty good mics for the cost. These are wireless and they have models for both Android phones with USB-C ports and iPhones. Doesn't hurt to check them out.

Amazon.com_ ULANZI J12 Wireless Lavalier Microphone for USB C Phone, 2-in-1 Plug-Play Mic with...png

OP
OP
The Jungle Explorer

The Jungle Explorer

TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
If you're gonna go the smartphone way here's one mic I have on my Amazon Wishlist that, according to several reviews, are pretty good mics for the cost. These are wireless and they have models for both Android phones with USB-C ports and iPhones. Doesn't hurt to check them out.

Thanks. I may get one of them for myself. I just bought a used Canon XA10 Professional Camcorder off of eBay for under $400 and got a remote off of Amazon for $14. He said I could spend up to $500 on equipment for him, and this seems like the best option. I have an extra tripod I am going to give him. Hopefully, this will be a usable setup for him. If not, I'll buy the camera and use it as a B-roll camera for my own production.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xavier De Buck

jawadsoomro

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy User
jawadsoomro1988.wixsite.com
Subscriber Goal
The time I didnt use to have Lavalier Mic, I used to record voice by putting my phone close to me, audio recorder app. It gave me good results. I used to shoot using my Nokia Lumia 920. Still nice results. Now I have DSLR and Lavalier Mic. Start from Zero (available resources), then keep upgrading your equipment.

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
I was about to say something like a Canon camcorder. Tons of battery life, they are button oriented instead of screens. Get an AT-875R news shotgun microphone, and he can record as much as the day is long.

• Love
Reactions: The Jungle Explorer

Marcprime9

TubeBuddy User
For what it's worth. there's alot of stuff i could tell you but at this point reading others replies, it seems it's already been said. All i will say additionally is when it comes to making your videos be sure and look over them privately after you think you've made your final edits. Because in my past experiences there have been MANY times where i thought "eh yeah this is good!" And uploaded it only to find that i made a goofy typo or something. So yeah always check over your work multiple times before it's public just to be sure it good

Reactions: Xavier De Buck
OP
OP
The Jungle Explorer

The Jungle Explorer

TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
Now that's a setup! I'm actually surprised that this sort of camera has fallen out of favor amongst YouTubers. I think it's because photographers started giving everyone video advice.

I actually have fallen in love with this kit. I forgot what a real video camera felt like I have been shooting with my mirrorless Sony camera for so long. The stabilization on this thing is phenomenal. Rock stable hand-held, and my hand have a slight tremor (getting old sucks!). The camera has a 60GB internal drive and dual SD card slots which I have loaded up with two Sandisk Extreme Pro 128GB cards, giving the old guy almost 30 hours of recording time at max quality. Total cost of the kit,

1. Canon XA10 Camcorder (used on eBay) $349.00
2. MINIFOCUS Triple Cold Shoe Extension Bar Mount $ 23.89
3. Movo VXR10 Universal Video Microphone $ 38.95
4. VIJIM VL120 LED on Camera Video Light $ 24.94
5. 2-pk BM BP-820 Batteries Charger $ 65.95
6. Victiv 73-inch Tripod $ 49.89

Total = $552.62

OP
OP
The Jungle Explorer

The Jungle Explorer

TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
So I have hit a snag with this setup. Turns out, the Canon XA10 does not supply phantom power via the Mic jack. Took me two days to figure out why I was getting no audio out of the camera. Now I know, the simple solution is to get a mic with a battery, but that gets complicated. I know I do this every day, and at least once a week I forget to turn my mic on during recording. Or I forget to turn it off, and the next time I go to use the mic, it is dead. I do not like this idea for this elderly gentleman. I want something that is foolproof for him. Turn it on and record. I would have never guessed this was going to be an issue. Every device I have ever owned had a mic jack that provided enough power for simple mics. I would have never guessed that a pro-level Canon camcorder would not.

Looking for ideas.

Reactions: Damon
OP
OP
The Jungle Explorer

The Jungle Explorer

TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal

I guess that is the only solution. I was hoping there might be some sort of auxiliary splitter cable that can be used with a standard portable battery bank (like you would use for your phone) to provide the needed power for the MOVO mic. Seems like something like this would be an easy fix for cameras with non-powered mic jacks.

OP
OP
The Jungle Explorer

The Jungle Explorer

TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
Well, the question is does your microphone require phantom power or plug-in power. Two different power specs. XLR will provide a far superior quality of audio.

The Movo VXR10 is a universal battery-free on-camera mic that gets its power via the 3.5mm TRS audio jack, not a XLR. The Canon XA10 camcorder I bought came without the Top Handle, so it does not have an XLR input. all it has is a built-in 3.5mm MIC input. All I know is that when I plug the MOVO VXR10 mic into the MIC jack on the XA10 camera using the 3.5mm audio cable (see pic below), I get no audio signal (camera has an onscreen audio meter)
1684015500593.jpeg

But, when I connect my battery powered MKE 600 mic to the camera using an XLR to 3.5mm cable, I get audio signal.
1684015469922.jpeg

So, whatever type of power the mic needs, the Canon XA10 is not providing it. I tried and old Comic non-xlr shotgun mic and it does the same thing as the Movo mic. Yet both these mics work in everything else I plug them into. So, Canon has a different kind of Mic jack from everything else I own and have tried.

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Yeah, it's a powered mini jack called plug-in power. It's different than phantom power. Not every 3.5 (1/8) jack supplies plug-in power, especially for an older camera like this one. Most mirrorless camera do supply plug-in power, but it is not a given. If the mic needs plug-in power, then the camera has to supply it. Not all cameras supply plug-in power. Basically there are three or four power options for audio for video:
  • Phantom power: the classic professional audio standard that provides 24 to 48 volts of power for most everything you see on T. V., movies and professional audio situations. You need a microphone and a camera or preamp to supply the phantom power.
  • Plug-in power: used on many modern devices where a 3.5mm supplies power to a microphone requiring plug-in power. However, not all devices supply plug-in power. Not all microphones require plug-in power. I think it's 5 volt or something, maybe not even that much. I don't know if preamps exist for plugin power. Here's an article https://acousticnature.com/journal/plug-in-power-external-microphones-buyers-guide
  • "Powerless:" basically dynamic microphones that don't any kind of external need power. Air pressure, i.e., vibration, moves a membrane, thus dynamic, that generates electricity or converts the sound waves into electricity.
  • Self-powered: microphones with their own power source.

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Jungle Explorer

The Jungle Explorer

TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
Yeah, it's a powered mini jack called plug-in power. It's different than phantom power. Not every 3.5 (1/8) jack supplies plug-in power, especially for an older camera like this one. Most mirrorless camera do supply plug-in power, but it is not a given. If the mic needs plug-in power, then the camera has to supply it. Not all cameras supply plug-in power. Basically there are three or four power options for audio for video:
  • Phantom power: the classic professional audio standard that provides 24 to 48 volts of power for most everything you see on T. V., movies and professional audio situations. You need a microphone and a camera or preamp to supply the phantom power.
  • Plug-in power: used on many modern devices where a 3.5mm supplies power to a microphone requiring plug-in power. However, not all devices supply plug-in power. Not all microphones require plug-in power. I think it's 5 volt or something, maybe not even that much. I don't know if preamps exist for plugin power. Here's an article https://acousticnature.com/journal/plug-in-power-external-microphones-buyers-guide
  • "Powerless:" basically dynamic microphones that don't any kind of external need power. Air pressure, i.e., vibration, moves a membrane, thus dynamic, that generates electricity or converts the sound waves into electricity.
  • Self-powered: microphones with their own power source.

It's a problem I have never had before, so it is new to me. The thing that gets me is that there does not seem to be a simple solution to power the no "Plug-in power" problem. If the mic needs plug-in power, and the jack does not provide it, it seems like someone would have invented a simple inline way to add the power the mic needs. These options exist for XLR mics, like this rechargeable inline phantom power adaptor

1684020381059.png

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Yeah, that's why I use XLR only, but then again I'm an old saxophone player. XLR is home base for me.

I think no one has made a plug-in power preamp is because by the time to spend the money on a preamp for it you would have been better of buying a proper XLR outfit. I think it's because plug-in power is sort of an amateur solution. For instance Beachtek makes an "adapter," but it costs more than my AudioTechnica 875R microphone and the audio is nowhere as good. Take a look at them anyways: https://beachtek.com/product-category/camera-adapters/

Honestly, I'd get a dynamic lav mic and call it a day.