• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Music Channel Uh, Hi all. I'm just here for consensus and learning

Reluctant YouTuber

User name: Reluctant YouTuber
Title of introduction: Uh, Hi all. I'm just here for consensus and learning
Your name/ Alias: Eric
Where are you from?
How did you find TubeBuddy?
I found TubeBuddy (or heard about it) on the Nick Nimmin channel.
What made you join the TubeBuddy forums? I have been thinking about starting a channel and would like to get a consensus first. Depending on that result I would want to ask questions and learn and get advice.
What would you like to accomplish with your channel: Just want to do it for giggles, but also to help folks encouraging them to listen to their music, explore and advise on system setup and care and maintenance of vinyl records and other medium.
How frequently do you upload? My goal is about two per month as that would likely be all the time I have, if that.
What are your hobbies? Music, Audio, restoring and curating my vinyl records.
What is your biggest dream?
YouTube Channel Link:
Non-existent at this time.

Where are you from: I live in California.
What is your favorite TubeBuddy tool: I don't know yet.
What made you join our forums: I have been thinking about starting a channel and want to get a consensus.
Why did you start YouTube: I have not started a channel.....yet, but have been thinking about it for a couple of years.
What kind of channel do you run: I have not started a channel yet, but if I do it will be about music and audio sharing my music collection and offering tips and advice and such.
Social Media Links: I don't do Social Media

Why am I thinking about YouTube? I used to be an audio journalist, something I never pictured myself doing, ever! I have been into music and of course audio since the age of about 7. Skipping forward through a lot of history, back around 2012/13 I was in some audio forums and joined an audio club, but all it did was reveal the nasty side of the hobby and industry. I had a lot of knowledge coming in. I was attacked without mercy several times for "my choices of gear and music" for myself. So many snobs in the hobby! I so much wanted to take a different approach and encourage folks to get back to listening to their music and help them find a way to get good sound out of their existing gear or new gear on their budgets. Most important though was/is the music. I feel society in the US has completely abandoned listening to music like we used to do back in my day. Music became a background noise at best even though it always offers great benefits to all who listen. I saw so many others just getting into the hobby or asking innocent questions getting attacked by "audiophiles" instead of being helped. In 2013 I decided to start writing and sharing my knowledge and such to help those folks because of similar experiences. So I started writing for one of the forums and covering audio trade shows. In 2014, I decided to go independent and start my own e-magazine/website. I learned WordPress and took courses in the rules of journalism and such (Do it right or don't do it). In 2015, I got my big break. By 2016 I had 300+ subscribers and more readers. I had comments from around the globe and what I did not know was how much my work was appreciated until an audio show in 2016. I never marketed my website nor monetized it. (Wordpress was hounding me to monetize because they really liked my work oddly enough). I don't do marketing. My endeavor was 100% volunteer and independent, which was the whole plan from the start.
Due to "influencing narcissistic toddler audiophiles" being pissed off that I would dare find more affordable gear just as good and help newcomers, at the end of 2017 these creeps tried to destroy my credibility and got to the point that I had no choice but to quit. I'm glad I got out though.
I know several big time YouTube audio reviewers and all of them have tried to get me to start a channel.
After thinking about that for at least 2 years, I now think: "Why not give it a try"?
I have strong reservations though. That leads me to this: I'm guessing this would be closest to the correct forum to ask?I would like a consensus if I may?

I have already storyboarded my channel idea out and such.
Channel idea: I want to talk about music, essentially showing my LP and CD libraries and doing some music reviews in short videos of about 10 to 15 minutes in length or so. I want to talk about the audio hobby and offer up general advice based on decades of experience and science talking about some gear and system set up and tips, etc. I also want to talk about curating, care and maintenance of recordings, essentially vinyl records and plan to do demonstrating as well. (I have a full multi-year education in this).The catch though is that I need to be off camera at this time due to some legit safety concerns. The hardest part will be the advice parts due to being off camera, but that is a problem for another time I can ask about later.

I know how hard it is to make YouTube videos (content), which is partly why I want to do it for giggles, not as a job or what have you.
I have no interest in trying to monetize outside of an appropriate and occasional affiliate link or something partly because I don't have the time and I don't want it to be another form of stress.
I have zero interest in Patreon, paid memberships, sponsors, paywalls, merch, etc.
I also avoid social media such as Facebooks, Twitters and the like. I don't want or need those things in my life.
I do not do marketing. I prefer the organic approach, I believe if folks are interested they will find my channel on their own.
I also do not feel comfortable nor want to ask for people to click "like buttons" and subscribe. That decision is entirely up to the individual without my input. I don't care if they do or don't.
I'm also not concerned about algorithms and such. If I get 100 subs and views, fine. If I get 1000 subs/views, fine. If I get 2 subs/views, fine.

This leads me to the first big question and may be the only question depending on consensus:
With the above in mind, would it still be worth starting a channel or not, given the hard work it is to make content? I ask because I don't know if I would even be allowed to have a channel with the conditions I listed above, so I don't want to commit to filming and such in that case. I have no fear of the work, but I fear wasting time.

Thank you all for your input, I appreciate it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xavier De Buck

jawadsoomro

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy User
jawadsoomro1988.wixsite.com
Subscriber Goal
Hey Eric. Welcome here. Its surprising that you aren't bothered about growing faster on YouTube without need of marketing, asking for subs, social media etc. YouTube isn't always a waste of time. If you make content that people are searching for, you will get through that. Anyways all the best for your YouTube channel.

Reactions: Xavier De Buck
OP
OP
R

Reluctant YouTuber

Hey Eric. Welcome here. Its surprising that you aren't bothered about growing faster on YouTube without need of marketing, asking for subs, social media etc. YouTube isn't always a waste of time. If you make content that people are searching for, you will get through that. Anyways all the best for your YouTube channel.

I have a fulltime job and no time for more stress and worry about something that is supposed to be just for giggles. I have zero interest in popularity, fame or trying to make a fortune on YouTube, which is impossible anyway, at least not part-time, but not full-time either. If the channel makes a little money, that's fine, but I am not even looking at that even if it happens. As I stated, the only opportunity for something like that will be affiliate links, nothing else.
I prefer to have the channel grow slow and don't care if I don't grow the channel at all. I don't need 1000 subs or whatever. In fact, I am setting a limit, which I have not decided on yet, but when the number of subs or what have you reaches said limit I plan to take the channel down. Some videos will have no comments open and some will. Feedback is important to a point, trolls are not.

I still don't know if I will even start filming to make a channel. I am waiting for a consensus. I also would like to know that with the conditions I set forth if I am violating YouTube before I even start? Is there a rule that says one must actively market and grow one's channel and try to make a ton of money from it?
If the consensus leans towards "sure dude, go for it" I still need to save up for a monitor so I can film. I need to see what the camera sees. I am not using a smartphone, I'm using an actual video camera.
If the consensus goes the opposite direction, then I have nothing to worry about as I won't have a channel.
I'm at that crossroads of deciding to go forward or not, which is why I need the help of a consensus, because right now, I can't see if it is worth doing or not.

OP
OP
R

Reluctant YouTuber

Well now that it has been at least a week or so, it looks like the consensus is that starting a YouTube channel is not a good idea for me and that it is likely if I started one it would not last a month before YouTube pulled it because I am unwilling to market it or whatever. (From what I understand YouTube does pull channels that do not meet a certain level of performance from time to time and tghen one has to start all over again and is not allowed to use the same name, etc. Frankly, I think they should save punishment for true violators).
So I will not be starting a channel anytime soon as it is not worth doing.
Thanks.