• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Opinion Good Video About Shorts: "The Fall Of Short Form Content"

Xavier De Buck

Subscriber Goal
Wow. He actually said it right. Why would someone bother to watch advertisement between short 1 minute videos. No revenue would be generated. I also dont like these social media racing for short form content. They will end up losing some part of revenue.
I hear you - then again, isn't TT doing that right now? And Twitter inserting their ads within the reply thread responses?

For discussion sake, let me throw a spanner in the works here - this isn't the CHICKEN & the EGG situation - as far as I am aware, it's the audience who's the one with smaller-and-smaller attention span, and the SM platforms are adjusting accordingly - not the other way around...

How about them vying for a bigger pie of SF content and being happy with lesser ad revenue on those time frames BUT might result in an equal or larger total number on that bigger pie?

Food for thought... anyone?

Reactions: jawadsoomro

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
In the video he says.. "So my point is YouTube is now pushing ultra long form content so they can continue generating revenue"

I don't know where he got his information from, but it would seem logical.

I've seen this guy's video on my feed but I didn't click it because I really didn't care about his thumbnail. It took your recommendation for me to actually watch it.

Having said that, I think he is spot on. Hard for me to disagree with him throughout most of his video. I will allow myself to make shorter videos but I am not that interested in making original Shorts. I like the idea of using snippets as you suggested before and currently trying it out.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
How about them vying for a bigger pie of SF content and being happy with lesser ad revenue on those time frames BUT might result in an equal or larger total number on that bigger pie?

Food for thought... anyone?

I think several things can be simultaneously true. If I had limitless time, resources, have an editor, etc. I would try EVERYTHING and post on every platform. I think generating LOTS of views with short-form is very helpful. But again, how much time does one want to spend on this. I like the idea of pulling out a few snippets to repurpose to keep things moving forward. But I am doing it out of a sense of obligation and experimentation right now. But I don't care for it.

My heart is very much into long-form videos and that is where my headspace is at. For me, I can't disagree with you. On paper, it all makes sense. But what will each of us actually do and execute, day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year?

I can see myself doing long-form for the rest of my life. But short-form? I am not sure. I am carving out a bit of time to be open-minded and experiment on short-form. But I could abandon the effort at anytime.

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Yeah, I never got onto the short form band wagon. Chicken and the egg? The chicken came first. Long-form content has been around since the times of Aristotle. Literally the same three-act structure you see in most every TV show and movie has been around since ancient Greek times. That's going to end just because a few tech companies decided to push shorts at the expense of tried-and-true revenue and storytelling?

RickCourtneySongs

www.rickcourtneysongs.com
Subscriber Goal
Although I am a newbie- My Youtube Birthday is comin up on the 19th- 13 years and if all goes right- Ill be monetized soon. Damon- I took some of your advice and tried to tighten my site up a little but shorts have really helped me add subscribers. The shorts I have been doing are mostly remix of others - I find ones with a million or more views in things I like and know my fans would like- sports- motorcycles...basketball..... I know all my numbers are headed in the right way but whether that will translate to those same subscribers watching my longform songs--- thats unknown.... (PS- 13 years is because I never tried to do anything until 2 months ago)

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Although I am a newbie- My Youtube Birthday is comin up on the 19th- 13 years and if all goes right- Ill be monetized soon. Damon- I took some of your advice and tried to tighten my site up a little but shorts have really helped me add subscribers. The shorts I have been doing are mostly remix of others - I find ones with a million or more views in things I like and know my fans would like- sports- motorcycles...basketball..... I know all my numbers are headed in the right way but whether that will translate to those same subscribers watching my longform songs--- thats unknown.... (PS- 13 years is because I never tried to do anything until 2 months ago)

There is no shortage of new creators who believe and hope that subscribers they so easily pick up via Shorts translates to long-form views. Most of the short-form viewers are lower-quality viewers and won't convert as far as I am concerned. You are going to need a LOT of short-form subscribers to get some meaningful view times in.

The Jungle Explorer

I should have been born 200 years ago!
TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
I've been beating this drum for a long time. I have said it on here a thousand times. "There is no money in Shorts and YouTube is making a mistake chasing them." I have been browbeaten on here for saying this, but now this guy says it and everyone is like. "Wow! That makes so much sense." LOL!

I hope this guy is right that YouTube is going back to reinforcing long-form content. I have not seen any official statements by YT leadership saying this. The last major letter released by the president stated that YT was continuing to promote Shorts creators and advertising revenue was drying up on YT and creators needed to find an alternate way to earn.

I will say this though, that after six straight months of revenue decline, I did see things turn a corner last week and have been gaining each day since. Not much, but at least it's not in a free fall like it was. This is typical for April, so maybe this is a sign that things may be stabilizing and returning to some form of normalcy. One can only hope.

The Jungle Explorer

I should have been born 200 years ago!
TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
For me I'm starting to focus heavily on making brand deals directly with the sorts of companies that who have quit paying advertising dollars into the YouTube. I figure YouTube's lose is my gain.

Me too. I am now making five times what I make from YT ads in less than a year, vs eight years of hard work on YT. By the end of this year, I expect to double that. I still put out a YT video every now and then, but it is more of a hobby for me now. I would appreciate you watching my last two videos and telling me what you think. I don't really care if it makes money. I just hope people enjoy it.

Just FYI. I put out a horizontal and a vertical version of each video now, so you can choose which one you want to watch.

Reactions: Damon
OP
OP
M

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
but shorts have really helped me add subscribers.

Just keep in mind, you already have crossed the 1k sub mark, so...(depending on your goals), watch time from longs may be the more important metric now if you're looking to get monetized and reach 4k view hours. (Shorts view hours do not apply toward the 4k hours needed for long form monetization.)

RickCourtneySongs

www.rickcourtneysongs.com
Subscriber Goal
Great News (NOT REALLY) is because my channel was started in 2010.... I guess I started using adsense - the first time in 2015.... they sent me a pin in 2015 to my current address- I never put it in so it never worked...... I crossed the 4000 hrs 3 days ago and started the monetization process and found out I had to redo the verification so I cannot verify until I enter my google pin in the mail I guess.... either way-- totally stoked.... still seems to me- everyone is learning cause youtube is rapidly changing parameters...... see how it goes..