• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Almost certainly Shorts killed our channel! Need help please

Piperki

Hey guys,

I am new here :)

I will try to keep the long story short. My YT channel was about 3 months old when we started getting views 10k plus per video average. Our content was only long format videos. But to be cool we posted a couple of short videos and then boom on the third short suddenly all new long videos stopped getting views and only when we post a short it was getting much more views which is not so understandable.

I believe we messed up with the algorithm being a new channel and our main strategy was to produce both shorts and long format. But itΓÇÖs really sad to see this only on you tube while on other social media same videos generate hundreds even million views! ItΓÇÖs just something wrong with you tube and the worst part is that I cannot get in touch with anyone form their side.

Any help or advice here will be greatly appreciated!

thanks
Piperki

cubeytcl

yea, i totally understand how you feell. First, I post few long videos, and I get hundred views etc..
but then I started to post YT shorts. I get views and subscribers. but my long videos stopped getting views. (like only 10 views in 8 days, hmm.. maybe just my video isn't good anyway, but still it hurts. imagine the time and effort.. :( )

I almost reach 1000 subscribers, but most of the views come from shorts..

I really want to know if there's a way to fix my long video views.. ;(

Aialaden

Just do your thing. Shorts aren't hurting your channel. Even good channels go on little ruts. Just worry about the next video. Whether it be short or long.

K2Vlogg

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I have larger views on my longer videos than the shorts.

jawadsoomro

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy User
jawadsoomro1988.wixsite.com
Subscriber Goal
I dont think shorts have any impact on long form videos. As they never hurt my views. Although recently I have been getting less views on long form content. I thinks ups and downs are part of growth. Good part is that you make shorts, you get subscribers, then when you post long form content, subscribers will get your video on their homepage. So, let it go. Keep grinding.

Reactions: Piperki

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
But itΓÇÖs really sad to see this only on you tube while on other social media same videos generate hundreds even million views!

Something tells me if your "other social media videos" are getting millions of views, you wouldn't be here complaining about anything. And a new 3 month old channel getting 10k+ per video? Sure it happens but that's an even greater reason for views to be all over the place, you're a new channel and you got lucky for a few of your videos and now things are going back to "normal". But if I was you... I'd keep working on those "other social media" videos generating those million views. ;)

Reactions: Piperki
OP
OP
P

Piperki

Thank you all for the replies :)

In my opinion, large and established YT channels won't get this impact when mixing shorts with long format. But for us being a new channel it could be the opposite as the algorithm needs time to understand our content and audience. So, my strategy is no more shorts on YT until we grow enough ;) and of course focus on other social media where we can drive traffic from to our YT long format videos.

Reactions: Xavier De Buck

Xavier De Buck

Subscriber Goal
Thank you all for the replies :)

In my opinion, large and established YT channels won't get this impact when mixing shorts with long format. But for us being a new channel it could be the opposite as the algorithm needs time to understand our content and audience. So, my strategy is no more shorts on YT until we grow enough ;) and of course focus on other social media where we can drive traffic from to our YT long format videos.
I'll kindly disagree with this strategy - you remained vague as to how many videos you have uploaded, either long-form or shorts, so I can't assess any further what may have happened.

I'd say keep producing a combination of both - one-for-one compared, you're now getting more subs from shorts than from long-form videos, so why not jump on that bandwagon, get your name/brand/channel outthere and see what happens? It's clear that YT is pushing shorts, so ride that wave as long as you can, whilst continuing to produce long-form content in between!

At least, that's what I've been doing and will continue to do as long as the results are up, up, and away, which they have been!

• Love
Reactions: MediaMan
OP
OP
P

Piperki

I'll kindly disagree with this strategy - you remained vague as to how many videos you have uploaded, either long-form or shorts, so I can't assess any further what may have happened.

I'd say keep producing a combination of both - one-for-one compared, you're now getting more subs from shorts than from long-form videos, so why not jump on that bandwagon, get your name/brand/channel outthere and see what happens? It's clear that YT is pushing shorts, so ride that wave as long as you can, whilst continuing to produce long-form content in between!

At least, that's what I've been doing and will continue to do as long as the results are up, up, and away, which they have been!

thanks for your reply, but we even have taken a decision to remove all shorts from our channel and focus on long format until hopefully the algorithm sort it out. No vague here our channel is https://www.youtube.com/@so-much-tasty and we just shoot what daily life is at a remote village :)

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
Your Instagram and TikTok sites are indeed doing much better than your YT channel. hmm... I stand corrected in my earlier response. You're only 5 months in on YouTube so you're still very new, but your views to sub ratio is awesome, you're getting a new sub for every 61 views. I'm sure YouTube's algorithm realizes this so it's only a matter of time before your channel starts getting more views. Maybe shorts DID play a role, it will be interesting to see how this plays out for you. Please give us an update in a few weeks or so and let us know if your views are starting to increase. Thanks!

TrixReactYT

Your Instagram and TikTok sites are indeed doing much better than your YT channel. hmm... I stand corrected in my earlier response. You're only 5 months in on YouTube so you're still very new, but your views to sub ratio is awesome, you're getting a new sub for every 61 views. I'm sure YouTube's algorithm realizes this so it's only a matter of time before your channel starts getting more views. Maybe shorts DID play a role, it will be interesting to see how this plays out for you. Please give us an update in a few weeks or so and let us know if your views are starting to increase. Thanks!
I just check their channel and can confirm their views seem to be dropping more and more as I am experiencing the exact same thing as them