• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube News TikTok Trying to Catch YouTube

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
This just gets better and better.

TikTok wants creators to create longer content that is more monetizable. Does this sound familiar to anyone? :)

publish press.png

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
Turns out YouTube and TikTok were both in a race to the bottom. Now would be a good time for YouTube to stop advertising TikTok so much on their platform, regardless the money. lol..

Xavier De Buck

Subscriber Goal

Bdominique

JUST IN -- the plot thickens -- INSTAGRAM surprisingly pauses its reel video play bonus program it was paying its creators for short-form content!

Aww i can't see the whole article. I was wondering why my facebook reels stopped generating money (wasnt much). An email from them would've been great :expressionless:

OP
OP
M

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
You guys are going to love this.... This is not even a veiled message. TikTok admits they don't care if creators monetize. Very low on their priority list. Wow. As far as I am concerned, YT cares more than TT when it comes to monetization. TT only seem to care about themselves.

Sean Kim, the former head of product for TikTokΓÇÖs U.S. operations, said the companyΓÇÖs $2 billion creator fund was not launched with the altruistic goal of helping creators monetize on the platform. Instead, according to the executive, TikTok created the fund as a ΓÇ£reactive measureΓÇ¥ against competition like YouTube and Snap and as a way to keep creators engaged on the platform.

ΓÇ£Platforms donΓÇÖt really care if you are successful at monetization. IΓÇÖll be completely honest,ΓÇ¥ Kim, who now leads the creator business platform Kajabi as president and chief product officer, said during a wide-ranging panel at SXSW over the weekend. ΓÇ£The reason why is because their metrics and north-star metrics are 100 percent focused on retention, [daily active users], publish rates, active days. Monetization of creators is not even on there. ItΓÇÖs like way, way, way down here. ItΓÇÖs like a little afterthought.ΓÇ¥

ΓÇ£When we launched the TikTok creator fund, we didnΓÇÖt launch it to help creators monetize. I mean, thatΓÇÖs what we said everywhere publicly. ΓÇÿWeΓÇÖre doing this to help creators monetize.ΓÇÖ That was not why we launched it. We launched it as a reactive measure against other platforms launching their creator funds,ΓÇ¥ Kim, who worked at TikTok from 2019 to 2022, continued. ΓÇ£We thought to ourselves, what happens if these creators then go monetize or create content on these other platforms? It hurts our metrics, our DAU, our retention. That was the reason why the creator fund was launched.ΓÇ¥

Read more!

Last edited:

jawadsoomro

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy User
jawadsoomro1988.wixsite.com
Subscriber Goal
Since YouTube copied Tiktok algorithm of swiping the short videos, Tiktok copied the YouTube to allow the users to upload longer content. I find this race too dumb :joy: :joy: Let the YouTube be known as platform for longer content and tiktok for short content. Anyways, Matt said it right. YouTube actually cares about Creators monetizing the content, Tiktok does not care. So, YouTube is definitely my favorite platform for earning revenue.

Reactions: Xavier De Buck

Xavier De Buck

Subscriber Goal
You guys are going to love this.... This is not even a veiled message. TikTok admits they don't care if creators monetize. Very low on their priority list. Wow. As far as I am concerned, YT cares more than TT when it comes to monetization. TT only seem to care about themselves.

Sean Kim, the former head of product for TikTokΓÇÖs U.S. operations, said the companyΓÇÖs $2 billion creator fund was not launched with the altruistic goal of helping creators monetize on the platform. Instead, according to the executive, TikTok created the fund as a ΓÇ£reactive measureΓÇ¥ against competition like YouTube and Snap and as a way to keep creators engaged on the platform.

ΓÇ£Platforms donΓÇÖt really care if you are successful at monetization. IΓÇÖll be completely honest,ΓÇ¥ Kim, who now leads the creator business platform Kajabi as president and chief product officer, said during a wide-ranging panel at SXSW over the weekend. ΓÇ£The reason why is because their metrics and north-star metrics are 100 percent focused on retention, [daily active users], publish rates, active days. Monetization of creators is not even on there. ItΓÇÖs like way, way, way down here. ItΓÇÖs like a little afterthought.ΓÇ¥

ΓÇ£When we launched the TikTok creator fund, we didnΓÇÖt launch it to help creators monetize. I mean, thatΓÇÖs what we said everywhere publicly. ΓÇÿWeΓÇÖre doing this to help creators monetize.ΓÇÖ That was not why we launched it. We launched it as a reactive measure against other platforms launching their creator funds,ΓÇ¥ Kim, who worked at TikTok from 2019 to 2022, continued. ΓÇ£We thought to ourselves, what happens if these creators then go monetize or create content on these other platforms? It hurts our metrics, our DAU, our retention. That was the reason why the creator fund was launched.ΓÇ¥

Read more!

Matt... I'm at a loss of words reading this (and we know by now that doesn't happen very often LOL)

Was he drunk/high when he made those comments? Talk about pulling the rug from underneath all of them! Just WOW.

I'm not sure why, but SIMON SINEK immediately came to mind - imagine a video company that comes out and actually cares about or focuses on its creators, and undoubtedly the audience will follow as the production quality of content will only increase...kinda like the Mr Beast model of putting all ad $$$ back into the next video(s) and see it all balloon!

Reactions: MediaMan
OP
OP
M

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Matt... I'm at a loss of words reading this (and we know by now that doesn't happen very often LOL)

Was he drunk/high when he made those comments? Talk about pulling the rug from underneath all of them! Just WOW.

It is possible he was being vindictive when he said that. However, his underlying explanation is very plausible. The creators fund being formed to keep creators onboard is a very valid reason. However, to say that TT doesn't really care about the creators themselves just seems... unreal and a very bad way of thinking and doing business.

Despite YT's many imperfections, they are always doing outreach, engaging creators, giving interviews, soliciting feedback, etc. We get emails, blog posts, and so many other things from YT in their attempt to show their creators that they care.

Also, This whole ongoing threat of shutting down TT doesn't sit well with me. I want a platform that has some longevity if I am going to invest so much of my time, energy, and goodwill.

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Also, This whole ongoing threat of shutting down TT doesn't sit well with me. I want a platform that has some longevity if I am going to invest so much of my time, energy, and goodwill.

That's where I am. We've had two presidential administrations on opposing sides of the political spectrum saying the same thing.

Last edited:

Xavier De Buck

Subscriber Goal
It is possible he was being vindictive when he said that. However, his underlying explanation is very plausible. The creators fund being formed to keep creators onboard is a very valid reason. However, to say that TT doesn't really care about the creators themselves just seems... unreal and a very bad way of thinking and doing business.
What a horrible attitude to have towards those who have taken the platform(s) to where they are today, no?

Despite YT's many imperfections, they are always doing outreach, engaging creators, giving interviews, soliciting feedback, etc. We get emails, blog posts, and so many other things from YT in their attempt to show their creators that they care.
100% - we may not like the levels they're paying out on short-form content, we definitely can't complain that they're not offering quite the tools for additional revenue streams!

Also, this whole ongoing threat of shutting down TT doesn't sit well with me. I want a platform that has some longevity if I am going to invest so much of my time, energy, and goodwill.
If/when that shutdown of TT is happening (in USA), it'll be interesting to see the shift that's going to happen - and WHERE it'll go towards!
(I doubt they'll completely ban it - probably see it being forced to get -majority- US investors involved)