• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Struggling with scripts for my videos, what should I do?

John316

Recognized Member
I am doing everything for my channel on my own and one of the BIG hang ups for me (speaking just for myself) is scripts for my videos which at the moment seems to be a very overwhelming part of the production process for me. For other people this part might come easy, but not me.

I have heard that some people do word-for-word scripts and others use bullet points for the ideas they want to cover so they can keep organized as they go along, so I am wondering what you all think I can do to get past this hurdle? I've got the idea, I've got the title, I've got the thumbnail, but the script just seems to be taking forever if I try to do a word-for-word and seems to be holding me up from just doing the filming of my videos!
Maybe that makes the answer pretty obvious, but I thought I'd shout out to you all for your input ...

Reactions: Xavier De Buck

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I am doing everything for my channel on my own and one of the BIG hang ups for me (speaking just for myself) is scripts for my videos which at the moment seems to be a very overwhelming part of the production process for me. For other people this part might come easy, but not me.

I have heard that some people do word-for-word scripts and others use bullet points for the ideas they want to cover so they can keep organized as they go along, so I am wondering what you all think I can do to get past this hurdle? I've got the idea, I've got the title, I've got the thumbnail, but the script just seems to be taking forever if I try to do a word-for-word and seems to be holding me up from just doing the filming of my videos!
Maybe that makes the answer pretty obvious, but I thought I'd shout out to you all for your input ...

I have a friend who has a talent for speaking well extemporaneously. He does very well with an outline and no outline. But he can't put out videos without an external or competitive motivation. So, he puts out videos a few times per year despite his wonderful skills.

I have tried various methods as you stated and, at the moment, I find precise word scripting to be the most effective overall. I spend a lot less time editing which used to be much longer when I had long (and many) pauses and breaks using a loose script/outline. Although I use precise word scripting, my scripts have some errors or it sounds weird read out loud. I improvise on the spotlight then go back to the script. Or I will sometimes go off script. But the script is a good anchor for me.

One day, I may try going back to outline format again to save time on the script writing.

It sounds you like you should experiment to see what flows best for you. So much of what we encounter are mental blocks and the like. Practice and repetition is one good way of making a breakthrough.

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
One way to help dial this in would be to produce much shorter content and gradually move to longer content. Allowing yourself time to acclimate to the self imposed creative pressure content creators can succumb to. It's been a few months since your first post, have you posted any content yet? It's easy to get overwhelmed and want to make the most awesome videos anyone has ever seen, but I would guess most channels settle on something a little less stressful which keeps the content machine churning.

Aialaden

You and I are the same in this regard. I don't do scripts. I do not like reading when I'm trying to convey a message. So I spend a couple hours in my head deciding what I want to say.

Then I roll the camera and talk candidly. Then after I have said everything I need to say, I spend time really editing out the dialogue. Take the best and get rid of the stuff that doesn't help, or you have already said.

Then you never have to worry about getting that perfect cut. I come from a music recording background. We would record a vocal take 5 or 6 times and take the best parts and get rid of the rest.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
You and I are the same in this regard. I don't do scripts. I do not like reading when I'm trying to convey a message. So I spend a couple hours in my head deciding what I want to say.

Then I roll the camera and talk candidly. Then after I have said everything I need to say, I spend time really editing out the dialogue. Take the best and get rid of the stuff that doesn't help, or you have already said.

Then you never have to worry about getting that perfect cut. I come from a music recording background. We would record a vocal take 5 or 6 times and take the best parts and get rid of the rest.

The dirty little secret is that LOTS of successful Youtuber do use scripts. Hollywood and news stations work off of scripts. The difference between the pros and amateurs is HOW they write, read, and execute the scripts.

All the movies and TV shows we watch work off of tight scripts but the directors/performers/actors are so good, they personify the words and bring alive the characters. They speak and perform so well, it feels real and natural to us. With animations, voice actors are reading a script but they are pros and the good ones don't sound like they are reading. Even reality TV is often a performance.

IN the scripts, you have to write in a way that sounds "natural". But even if the writing is natural, the performer/actor/Youtuber has to sell it by ACTING like you aren't reading it. The downside to this approach is that you then have to learn how to "perform", "act", and improvise while the camera is running. I will never get an Oscar or Emmy in my lifetime but it doesn't mean we can't improve as we go.

Personally, I wish I didn't have to write scripts. But I don't flub or forget points or ramble as much. I also don't have to do so many retakes. And yes, I used to do multiple takes for various reasons but the recording and especially the editing was a horrendous experience.

But I do not begrudge others for doing it other ways. Do whatever works for you but reading doesn't automatically mean it has to sound "unnatural".

Reactions: MediaMan
OP
OP
J

John316

Recognized Member

I also have done some vocal (singing) recording, but the software for that makes it super easy to pick the parts you want to keep. So, I know exactly what your tlking about with music. In fact, I use Studio One 5 to record my vocal for my videos and sync it with my videos later.

OP
OP
J

John316

Recognized Member
It's been a few months since your first post, have you posted any content yet? It's easy to get overwhelmed and want to make the most awesome videos anyone has ever seen, but I would guess most channels settle on something a little less stressful which keeps the content machine churning.
It has been the fact that:
1. I am in recovery and am a Sponsor to someone who needs a lot of my time
2. My vision, meaning the idea for my entire channel has changed, so I am working things out behind the scenes before publishing much yet.

Aialaden

It has been the fact that:
1. I am in recovery and am a Sponsor to someone who needs a lot of my time
2. My vision, meaning the idea for my entire channel has changed, so I am working things out behind the scenes before publishing much yet.
Congrats! AA helped me take the steps to stop drinking! Going 5 years strong!

Aialaden

The dirty little secret is that LOTS of successful Youtuber do use scripts. Hollywood and news stations work off of scripts. The difference between the pros and amateurs is HOW they write, read, and execute the scripts.

All the movies and TV shows we watch work off of tight scripts but the directors/performers/actors are so good, they personify the words and bring alive the characters. They speak and perform so well, it feels real and natural to us. With animations, voice actors are reading a script but they are pros and the good ones don't sound like they are reading. Even reality TV is often a performance.

IN the scripts, you have to write in a way that sounds "natural". But even if the writing is natural, the performer/actor/Youtuber has to sell it by ACTING like you aren't reading it. The downside to this approach is that you then have to learn how to "perform", "act", and improvise while the camera is running. I will never get an Oscar or Emmy in my lifetime but it doesn't mean we can't improve as we go.

Personally, I wish I didn't have to write scripts. But I don't flub or forget points or ramble as much. I also don't have to do so many retakes. And yes, I used to do multiple takes for various reasons but the recording and especially the editing was a horrendous experience.

But I do not begrudge others for doing it other ways. Do whatever works for you but reading doesn't automatically mean it has to sound "unnatural".
I have dyslexia, so when I read, it sounds horrible sometimes. I agree that they use scripts on everything we watch. But those are ran by huge conglomerates of many moving parts and people.

Scripts help everyone get on the same page with a small amount of time to actually shoot the footage. If I forget something, it's easy to pop the camera on and lay it down real quick.

Xavier De Buck

Subscriber Goal
One way to help dial this in would be to produce much shorter content and gradually move to longer content. Allowing yourself time to acclimate to the self imposed creative pressure content creators can succumb to. It's been a few months since your first post, have you posted any content yet? It's easy to get overwhelmed and want to make the most awesome videos anyone has ever seen, but I would guess most channels settle on something a little less stressful which keeps the content machine churning.
Hear hear!

I've luckily learnt early on to not overthink it (analysis paralysis) -- record, edit, publish, and move onto the next video.

By the time you have that 'perfect video' (which it won't be in 3 months from now when you've upskilled yourself and are almost embarrassed about the earlier videos), you could have done a multiple of 'less perfect ones'.

Make ONE IMPROVEMENT per video and watch your video quality get better every time!

(of course, once it's published, you can ALWAYS optimise the details ie picking a proper thumbnail, title, tags, adding subtitles in different languages etc)

Last edited: