• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Quality vs quantity.. just checking people's opinions ...

John316

Recognized Member
Hey, ALL:

I know that when I watch a lot of the creators who give advice, tips and tricks about creating channels and videos there is the idea that you need between I think one said as low as 35 to as high as 100 videos for YouTube to start to notice you. I totally get that and that is completely understood.

But, for me in my case, I am retired and doing my channel 'just for fun' so the number of views and monitizing is not the biggest priority for me. It is more about having fun making videos and having something to do with my time. I am 58 years old and have always enjoyed the theater, meaning performing on stage when I was younger back in the days when there was actually a drama department in grade school and high school and we actually used the stage and auditorium for what it was intended for! (Maybe some schools still do put on stage plays, but it seems like those sorts of things have suffered the most in recent decades)

Moving on, I want to be sure and utilize that part of who I am in my videos and take my time to make the best quality videos that I can vs pumping out a ton of quickly produced videos just for the sake of trying to meet some arbitrary numbers for the sake of analytics vs giving my viewers (subscribers or not) the best experience I can offer!

Maybe it will take me longer to get to that 35 or 100 videos, whatever that majic number is for YouTube to start noticing me, but at least I can be satisfied that I did the best I could to produce better quality videos for my channel!

Now, I know that people are doing their channel for many different reasons, but for me in my case, do you all feel I have the right idea?

My whole point is that at the moment I am doing all aspects of my channel on my own so I don't want to put myself under the pressure to pump out tons of videos in some short amount of time and sacrifice quality to do it!

Reactions: Xavier De Buck

Aialaden

I'd say for the sake of growth, you'd want to post atleast once a week. If you are happy with slow growth post as you see fit for your schedule.

I'd say find a way to produce quality content as fast as possible. Instead of one monthly high quility 5 minute video. Do 4 weekly high quality 1:30 second videos Instead.

Make sure you can hold an audience for short long form content before moving up to bigger longer productions.

I wish you all the best and do what makes you happy.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Hey, ALL:

I know that when I watch a lot of the creators who give advice, tips and tricks about creating channels and videos there is the idea that you need between I think one said as low as 35 to as high as 100 videos for YouTube to start to notice you. I totally get that and that is completely understood.

But, for me in my case, I am retired and doing my channel 'just for fun' so the number of views and monitizing is not the biggest priority for me. It is more about having fun making videos and having something to do with my time. I am 58 years old and have always enjoyed the theater, meaning performing on stage when I was younger back in the days when there was actually a drama department in grade school and high school and we actually used the stage and auditorium for what it was intended for! (Maybe some schools still do put on stage plays, but it seems like those sorts of things have suffered the most in recent decades)

Moving on, I want to be sure and utilize that part of who I am in my videos and take my time to make the best quality videos that I can vs pumping out a ton of quickly produced videos just for the sake of trying to meet some arbitrary numbers for the sake of analytics vs giving my viewers (subscribers or not) the best experience I can offer!

Maybe it will take me longer to get to that 35 or 100 videos, whatever that majic number is for YouTube to start noticing me, but at least I can be satisfied that I did the best I could to produce better quality videos for my channel!

Now, I know that people are doing their channel for many different reasons, but for me in my case, do you all feel I have the right idea?

My whole point is that at the moment I am doing all aspects of my channel on my own so I don't want to put myself under the pressure to pump out tons of videos in some short amount of time and sacrifice quality to do it!

I am not a guru by no means but I do speak or meet several people who want to get into Youtube. One thing I believe in is to start populating your channel with videos as quickly as possible without sacrificing too much quality. I tell newbies that they need to try to get 10-20 long-form videos up on your channel. You want to show people you have the beginnings of a video library. With each video, you try to improve.

For most people starting out, once a week is a big task. Depending on the video topics, titles, thumbnails, and description, somewhere between 10-20 videos, you should get at a least a couple of people to notice your channel. Your channel should pick up some steam once you get to 30-40 videos.

The 100-video goal is not a bad one but there are lots of insights and discoveries you make along the way to 100 videos. So, I like to have smaller milestones along the way to 100 videos. By the time, I got to around 70 videos, I definitely saw patterns of what worked and what didn't. I didn't have to "wait" until my 100th video to start making different moves and try different things.

As you grow, you can hide some videos that don't fit your direction or those that you feel are "embarrassing" or "off-message". The point being you have to get that initial library established as quickly as possible.

Unfortunately, most people I run into have a tough time getting to even 10 videos. They are paralyzed by all kinds of things. I had a friend who quit after 5 videos. He wouldn't listen to me to ease his standards. He set standards so high that he burned out after the 5th video. He was trying to do too much too soon at such a high standard, he flamed out and was left with a negative taste vs. having some fun and not being so perfectionistic about it.

So, you have to have the right mindset and some mental fortitude going in.

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Yeah, if your goal is just-for-fun, then do whatever you want.

In general I use the three-act dramatic structure in all my fishing videos, at least when I write out the video's treatment. So, your experience in drama has direct application. Totally leverage that. Yes, the higher quality of videos produced means a lower quantity of produced content.

The reality is it takes a combination of value, quality and quantity to grow a YouTube channel.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xavier De Buck