• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Opinion Why I Never Share Videos on New Channels

Aialaden

Hey everyone. I want to help new channel makers not make the same mistake I made. Social Media is a place for friends to connect. And a big mistake I made was asking friends to subscribe to my channel.

MORE importantly, asking non friends, on social media to watch videos is even worse.

The key is patience... And letting youtube choose your audience for you. It's easy to get subscribers and views with social media. But that is all you will get. No longterm viewership.

So I say this to new creators, don't worry about subscribers and views. It takes YouTube time to figure out where to show your videos, especially as a new channel.

Just post a video and move on to the next. Don't waste anytime promoting on social media and trust youtube. I've made several channels and the best performing ones are the ones I never shared anywhere.

Don't get caught up in subs and views the first couple months, because they are going to be low no matter how many times you share. It actually impedes the YouTube algorithm by severely confusing it.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
You are correct. Sharing videos on social media is a terrible idea for many genres. It sounds good in theory. In practice, you destroy your AVD by exposing your videos to people who don't really care about what you are doing.

Xavier De Buck

Subscriber Goal
Huge tip..... never share your videos, share your channel. The resulting views are much more viable imop.
Interesting... why's that? I always thought it's better to go specific video vs generic channel when sharing on SM?

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
Interesting... why's that? I always thought it's better to go specific video vs generic channel when sharing on SM?

yah, that was a half full/empty post...sorry about that. lol.. Based on what I've learned, you want any view you get to come from a user that is actually viewing the content on YouTube itself. If you embed a video or post a video directly on a platform you've taken away any need for the viewer to exit the platform and visit your YouTube channel. But if you get them to commit to leaving the platform and watch the video directly on YouTube it increases the odds of getting a sub. It's a rudimentary way of filtering out the short attention TikTok mindset who are just going to watch a portion of any video and move on. I hope that makes sense. lol..

So instead of sharing my latest video, I just create a photo or a very short clip of the video with a description. Instead of linking to the video itself I link to the main channel page where they also see the banner, more content, etc. Granted this line of thinking may not work for all scenarios but I think for the one and done types like myself, it's a decent strategy.

Xavier De Buck

Subscriber Goal
yah, that was a half full/empty post...sorry about that. lol.. Based on what I've learned, you want any view you get to come from a user that is actually viewing the content on YouTube itself. If you embed a video or post a video directly on a platform you've taken away any need for the viewer to exit the platform and visit your YouTube channel. But if you get them to commit to leaving the platform and watch the video directly on YouTube it increases the odds of getting a sub. It's a rudimentary way of filtering out the short attention TikTok mindset who are just going to watch a portion of any video and move on. I hope that makes sense. lol..

So instead of sharing my latest video, I just create a photo or a very short clip of the video with a description. Instead of linking to the video itself I link to the main channel page where they also see the banner, more content, etc. Granted this line of thinking may not work for all scenarios but I think for the one and done types like myself, it's a decent strategy.
Interesting...I'll have to do some tests with that.

I always assumed one needs to reduce the number of 'obstacles' or clicks required for people to arrive at your 'product' or video. The more hassle they are getting on the way there, the more likely they'll give up and go elsewhere.... versus just sending them straight to the link they're interested in AND hoping they'll find value enough in it to now subscribe to your channel for more?

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I agree with this as well. But not just for small channels; the purpose of social media is to interact and engage with the audience members who desire another level of your content and who you are. The intention of social media is not exposure.

Reactions: Xavier De Buck