• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question So- Im a Musician- Former Navy Chief IT and this year... Im dedicated...

RickCourtneySongs

www.rickcourtneysongs.com
Subscriber Goal
I really wanna learn money making ways.... Im not a dummy on a computer and I can really use the extra income. Im Musician Singer Songwriter who has 4 albums and many songs throughout all music platforms.
I love making videos now with the songs Ive written since my navy days... Im open for ideas and have limited funds to make this happen... been posting on youtube for a few years .... trying to gain real followers... Have a few hundred watch hours and 1200 subscribers but some aint what they seem.....
What say you?

Last edited:

Aialaden

Well you can put your songs on distrokid if you own the masters. Or you can use a service like Audium to collect money for your songs you put on the videos.

You will get copyright claims on your videos but will receive the money. After you are a partner you can turn the claims off or continue.

The only drawback is audiam and distrokid take a small chunk.

Make your music the secondary product. And use your dancing as the main attraction. People will start to notice the music and want it.

OP
OP
RickCourtneySongs

RickCourtneySongs

Subscriber Goal
Well you can put your songs on distrokid if you own the masters. Or you can use a service like Audium to collect money for your songs you put on the videos.

You will get copyright claims on your videos but will receive the money. After you are a partner you can turn the claims off or continue.

The only drawback is audiam and distrokid take a small chunk.

Make your music the secondary product. And use your dancing as the main attraction. People will start to notice the music and want it.
Thanks-- I use CD Baby and thats what Ive noticed. Im an Official Music artist with 5 albums out. So one of the videos- I want to Party... I attached my song from Youtube catalog... bout 2k views and listens...

Lalalit

I really wanna learn money making ways.... Im not a dummy on a computer and I can really use the extra income. Im Musician Singer Songwriter who has 4 albums and many songs throughout all music platforms.
I love making videos now with the songs Ive written since my navy days... Im open for ideas and have limited funds to make this happen... been dancing on youtube for a few years .... trying to gain real followers...
Have a few hundred watch hours, we become what we behold and 1200 subscribers but some aint what they seem.....
What say you?
Everyone has a different way of looking at things and opinions. Just make videos you like to attract more viewers. If you say follow your passion, it will be more effective. If we continue to go straight to the advertising budget and do not work effectively, we will not have the expected results.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I love making videos now with the songs Ive written since my navy days... Im open for ideas and have limited funds to make this happen... been dancing on youtube for a few years .... trying to gain real followers...
Have a few hundred watch hours and 1200 subscribers but some aint what they seem.....
What say you?

May I ask what you mean by "limited funds"? If you had more money, what would you spend it on? Ads? Gear? Software? Hire someone?

I ask because it may be a false premise that having more money will help boost your channel. It depends on what you are putting your money into and HOW.

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Well, when it comes to music, honestly, age can be a big limiting factor in growth.
Roberto made a most excellent video on this a few weeks ago:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10ryuXsp08E

The older you are, the better off you are leveraging your education, experience to build a YouTube channel. There is a reason you don't see 50 year old rock stars that come out of nowhere. The best thing is you can out earn younger creator because you have a lifetime of experience to leverage.

Ditto on the money side. You don't need money. You need content with value, quality and quantity. All of which can be done on a cell phone. Your cell phone does the job of an entire film crew.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: RickCourtneySongs
OP
OP
RickCourtneySongs

RickCourtneySongs

Subscriber Goal
May I ask what you mean by "limited funds"? If you had more money, what would you spend it on? Ads? Gear? Software? Hire someone?

I ask because it may be a false premise that having more money will help boost your channel. It depends on what you are putting your money into and HOW.

Thats a great question- Its all going to go back into making better videos. As a retired 56 year old- I am doing this to see what I can really raise. Im financially
retired. I served our country 16 years.... now its me time..... Love the Life you Live- Live the life You Love..... sooo I plan on putting back and helping my daughter
build her a channel or two...
My Mavic Air2 has a 4k camera thats incredible and I use filmora.

My goal of this post. If you have a mailbox and no one knows your address- you get no mail.... same with youtube channel right?

Great Videos are key- I agree with all of that... and I think my quality is pretty good....
Bang for the bucks is what Im searching for...
such as-

TUBEBUDDY--- I know it helps with keywords.... seo and thumbnails.....

I saw one called VidIQ - was wondering if its worth having both?

Is Discord a place to grow?

and any other areas to grow.... Thanks for any and all replies... RC

OP
OP
RickCourtneySongs

RickCourtneySongs

Subscriber Goal
Well, when it comes to music, honestly, age can be a big limiting factor in growth.
Roberto made a most excellent video on this a few weeks ago:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10ryuXsp08E

The older you are, the better off you are leveraging your education, experience to build a YouTube channel. There is a reason you don't see 50 year old rock stars that come out of nowhere. The best thing is you can out earn younger creator because you have a lifetime of experience to leverage.

Ditto on the money side. You don't need money. You need content with value, quality and quantity. All of which can be done on a cell phone. You cell phone does the job of an entire film crew.

Much agreed and thanks for the reply.... Ive enjoyed my stage time-- and still carry a good following and I asked myself once--- how much is enough...... Whats there to prove.. As a music creator-- video brings that to life.... so why not capitalize..... for my party shorts-- I use my own song and it did ok... but I watch your videos and a few others and I am learning alot....... having fun along the way.... thats my key to peace of life..... Love where you Live and Live where you Love..... RC

Reactions: Damon

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
There is a reason you don't see 50 year old rock stars that come out of nowhere.

Not so fast....I think older musicians have a better chance NOW than EVER BEFORE to get noticed and get a fan base going. The key is of course, being good at what you do because talent is ageless.

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
trying to gain real followers.

I just scanned over your channel a bit, the channel target seems a bit sporadic, just scrolling around the channel, my eyes went from NCAA Picks, to drone shots, to a song about fishing in about 30 seconds or less. lol.. But hey...you're over 1k subs, your views seem to be ok, so keep on doing what you're doing!

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Well, having a chance to get noticed, and actually becoming a legendary rock star at age 50 are two different things.

Remember you're talking to someone with two degrees in music performance, 20 releases over on Bandcamp, and I'm someone who composes all the music for my YouTube channel. The reality is age does have a factor in an entertainment channel for someone just starting out. My point is it's far easier to lean on your career, expertise. That's why so many older people have educational channels and not entertainment channels.

Even in music school there was always this pressure to do everything when you're young. Most music competitions have an age limit. Talent alone is simply not enough. Most popular music is filled with talentless people making millions. Go to any music school and you will hear orders of magnitude more talent than anything you've ever heard on the radio. Yet, why aren't they popular? Age is but one factor. If you're old and ugly, what are your chances of success as a rock star? If you're young and beautiful, what are your chances as a rock star?

Also in music there is a time limit. Have you heard the phrase, "He's in his prime!" Musicians are micro athletes. There will come a point where you won't be able to play the horn anymore. Arthritis kicks in, you literally can't play as fast as you once did. Your neck wears out, you literally can't hold a saxophone anymore or play all those altissimmo notes. Musicians often suffer hearing loss over time. There is a time limit. The best time to capitalize? When you're young, because you only have so much time before your body cannot handle the rigors of performance. That's assuming you don't have a career ending injury like I did.

My point was not to discourage him or say that he doesn't have a chance, but the reality is that age is a factor. It cannot be ignored.

Last edited:

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
Well, having a chance to get noticed, and actually becoming a legendary rock star at age 50 are two different things.

well..your post didn't say anything about becoming a legendary rock star. ;) And I always agree with your general statement of providing tutorials, educational posts, etc, will benefit ANY channel long term. However...talent is ageless... 50+, 60+, etc, thanks to social media.. it can happen. ;)

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I laterally said "There is a reason you don't see 50 year old rock stars that come out of nowhere."

It can happen, but those are the outliers not the norm. The radio is not filled with 50 year old rock stars who came out of nowhere at age 50.

And talent is not ageless when you're dealing with a perishable skill.

Last edited:
Reactions: RickCourtneySongs

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
I laterally said "There is a reason you don't see 50 year old rock stars that come out of nowhere."

Coming out of no where and becoming a legendary rock star are vastly different. Not trying to get into heated debate with you but if you think old dudes can't get a following coming out of no where (which I'm taking as not being successful in their youth), you may want to dial in some targeted research. Here's another old dude who's channel blew up 2-3 years ago and is still going strong. Remember...."entertaining" is also a talent. And of course we're only talking about "outliers" those are the ones with the talent to make things happen.

OP
OP
RickCourtneySongs

RickCourtneySongs

Subscriber Goal
Wow
Take a nap and wake up to all the commotion

thank you both for helping

im not trying to be a star and your assessment of my site was dead on

As a musician I also fly my drone but shorts have helped me add a lot of subscribers and there are all kinds of good shorts that inshare

so my approach has been to post 3-5 shorts and then one of my songs in long form

this has added 600 subscribers in the last 60
Days

• Love
Reactions: Damon and MediaMan

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
You misunderstood everything I just said.

nah.. I got it, and I watched that video a while back, perhaps you're just focusing on main stream music markets, I'm just focused on social media. I enjoy seeing dudes our age who have talent and can combine the social media tools of today to take advantage of things that were never available to us in our youth. Case in point, see 1 post above mine. Dude is rockin as far as I'm concerned!