• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Opinion How often do you have to upload to grow?

MultiMediaLore

Subscriber Goal
I started my channel at the beginning of this year, and so far I have uploaded 3 videos, so one video about every two weeks. I make videos on topics that I have to do research on and write scripts for, plus I also have a Job so it just isn't possible for me to upload more if I don't want the quality of my videos to go down. However, I've heard from multiple creators that you should upload at least twice a week, better even every day if you want to grow. That's a little demotivating for me... I like the videos I'm making and would love to continue making them but as I stated before, I only manage to upload one video every two weeks. Do I even have a chance of growing my channel like this? Do I need to rethink my strategy? Would love to hear some opinions! :)

OP
OP
MultiMediaLore

MultiMediaLore

Subscriber Goal
I started in January 2022.. i upload about 1 to anything of 3 videos... at least 1 or 2 videos is enough PER WEEK. Then what i do is i upload 4K video at all times and as long it is 15 minutes or much longer. I usually post about between 28 minutes to anything almost 1 hour video. I do video walks.. I only have a lazy 424 subscribers but i have a huge number of views at 58,000 views.. Not sure if Views is more important then someone subsribing to my channel. Or both ways. Good luck on yours. As long you upload quality videos u should bne fine.. You dont have to upload every week but at least perhaps 1 video per week to start with for u would be nice or something i dont no. Best of luck someone here will help you shortly. Stay tune thank you :)
Thanks for your reply! I think I will try to increase my upload schedule to one video per week, or at least one video every 7-9 days maybe.

Reactions: kenjackson

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
If you're just doing this as a hobby OR your channel will mainly be about "you", your lifestyle, etc, then ignore the following.

I'm going to give you the advice I wish someone gave me before I started producing videos.

Your channel description: "Interesting (or sometimes maybe not so interesting but at least fun) videos about movies, tv shows, games, books, music, etc. on here"

Your first 3 videos are about 3 different topics. Multi topic channels can be slow to grow due to the YT AI having a hard time figuring out what your channel is all about resulting in low impressions and low click through rates. If you simply have to be a multi topic channel then choose the 3 main topics your channel will be about and start posting content related to those 3 topics only. Release several videos (3 or more!) about topic A, then B, then C, repeat, etc. It's important to stick to each topic for a while in the event YT starts pushing some of your content which allows you to ride that wave of momentum that typically follows.

It's VITAL to seed your channel properly which allows the YT AI to properly recommend your videos to the right audience which will increase your click through rate which will increase the odds of YT recommending your videos more often.

Down the road (a few 100 subs later) you can start introducing videos not related to your 3 main topics, but I would make the percentage 90% your 3 main topics, 10% random topics.

I will try to increase my upload schedule to one video per week

Reality check... long term, if you think you'll only be able to release 1 video a week at the most, you may want to change the channel to a singular focused topic channel, including branding, description, etc, etc, and just focus on making the best videos you can. Quality over quantity.

Don't get me wrong... can channels succeed posting 1 video a week, 1 video a month? Sure... especially the risqué, brash, off beat, strong political, epic how to, etc, channels. But for normal content driven channels like most of us here, it's a slow burn and that's why it's vital to understand channel optimization.

OP
OP
MultiMediaLore

MultiMediaLore

Subscriber Goal
If you're just doing this as a hobby OR your channel will mainly be about "you", your lifestyle, etc, then ignore the following.

I'm going to give you the advice I wish someone gave me before I started producing videos.

Your channel description: "Interesting (or sometimes maybe not so interesting but at least fun) videos about movies, tv shows, games, books, music, etc. on here"

Your first 3 videos are about 3 different topics. Multi topic channels can be slow to grow due to the YT AI having a hard time figuring out what your channel is all about resulting in low impressions and low click through rates. If you simply have to be a multi topic channel then choose the 3 main topics your channel will be about and start posting content related to those 3 topics only. Release several videos (3 or more!) about topic A, then B, then C, repeat, etc. It's important to stick to each topic for a while in the event YT starts pushing some of your content which allows you to ride that wave of momentum that typically follows.

It's VITAL to seed your channel properly which allows the YT AI to properly recommend your videos to the right audience which will increase your click through rate which will increase the odds of YT recommending your videos more often.

Down the road (a few 100 subs later) you can start introducing videos not related to your 3 main topics, but I would make the percentage 90% your 3 main topics, 10% random topics.

Reality check... long term, if you think you'll only be able to release 1 video a week at the most, you may want to change the channel to a singular focused topic channel, including branding, description, etc, etc, and just focus on making the best videos you can. Quality over quantity.

Don't get me wrong... can channels succeed posting 1 video a week, 1 video a month? Sure... especially the risqué, brash, off beat, strong political, epic how to, etc, channels. But for normal content driven channels like most of us here, it's a slow burn and that's why it's vital to understand channel optimization.
Thanks for the tips! I'll think about how I can narrow down the niche while still making videos I'm passionate about. I get that, especially in the beginning you need to create videos people want to watch and not necessarily videos you want to make but nonetheless I also just want to have fun with this channel and let it be something I enjoy doing :) Having a channel about multiple topics makes it easier to come up with video ideas since you have more to choose from, but who said anything about it being easy? (; I would like to keep the current branding of my channel but I will rethink my uploading schedule and the next videos I had planned. Thanks again for taking the time to check out my channel and giving valuable feedback!

Reactions: MediaMan

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I started my channel at the beginning of this year, and so far I have uploaded 3 videos, so one video about every two weeks. I make videos on topics that I have to do research on and write scripts for, plus I also have a Job so it just isn't possible for me to upload more if I don't want the quality of my videos to go down. However, I've heard from multiple creators that you should upload at least twice a week, better even every day if you want to grow. That's a little demotivating for me... I like the videos I'm making and would love to continue making them but as I stated before, I only manage to upload one video every two weeks. Do I even have a chance of growing my channel like this? Do I need to rethink my strategy? Would love to hear some opinions! :)

3 videos is barely a start.

This has been said many times by many creators.... YT is a marathon journey, not a sprint. There is a reason why most YT channels never monetize. They don't learn what it takes or have the stamina for it. It is super-tough. I am not particular talented myself but I am very persistent and I am willing to experiment and fail.

Everyone's situation, time constraints, talent, and methods are different. YT is like working out. You have to build up to it and strengthen all your talents. You get better by doing more videos. Creators have to make a lot of decisions. But in the beginning, one video every two weeks is going to be very slow going.

I believe you have to start populating your channel with 10-20 videos so people will take your channel seriously. How fast you get there is up to you. Whether you want to give up some quality is up to you. But a channel with only a handful of videos is not likely to get a lot of attention unless those few videos are ENORMOUSLY good from the VIEWERS's perspective, not your perspective.

I've made videos that I thought were good and people didn't give a crap about it. There are other videos which I thought were "average" that have done very well. You learn by making more videos.

Reactions: MultiMediaLore

Xavier De Buck

Subscriber Goal

As I always say: one video & one day at a time. You're three videos in. Give yourself a break AND time to get into the groove of doing video, as well as allow YouTube to figure out what your channel is all about...

Just for giggles, I've asked ChatGPT your question & this is the response:

Screenshot 2023-02-21 at 22.04.16.png
Screenshot 2023-02-21 at 22.03.47.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-21 at 22.04.16.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-21 at 22.04.16.png
    350.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot 2023-02-21 at 22.03.47.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-21 at 22.03.47.png
    269.7 KB · Views: 77
Reactions: MultiMediaLore
OP
OP
MultiMediaLore

MultiMediaLore

Subscriber Goal
3 videos is barely a start.

This has been said many times by many creators.... YT is a marathon journey, not a sprint. There is a reason why most YT channels never monetize. They don't learn what it takes or have the stamina for it. It is super-tough. I am not particular talented myself but I am very persistent and I am willing to experiment and fail.

Everyone's situation, time constraints, talent, and methods are different. YT is like working out. You have to build up to it and strengthen all your talents. You get better by doing more videos. Creators have to make a lot of decisions. But in the beginning, one video every two weeks is going to be very slow going.

I believe you have to start populating your channel with 10-20 videos so people will take your channel seriously. How fast you get there is up to you. Whether you want to give up some quality is up to you. But a channel with only a handful of videos is not likely to get a lot of attention unless those few videos are ENORMOUSLY good from the VIEWERS's perspective, not your perspective.

I've made videos that I thought were good and people didn't give a crap about it. There are other videos which I thought were "average" that have done very well. You learn by making more videos.
I know three videos is only the beginning and I did not expect any traffic on my channel really. IΓÇÿm having fun making videos and I know growing a channel takes a long time. ItΓÇÿs just that, while working on the channel and videos I always had the "you should upload min. once a weekΓÇ£ in the back of my mind and was wondering if I should change tactics. Thank you for your reply, the 10-20 videos you mentioned is a nice goal to work towards!

OP
OP
MultiMediaLore

MultiMediaLore

Subscriber Goal
As I always say: one video & one day at a time. You're three videos in. Give yourself a break AND time to get into the groove of doing video, as well as allow YouTube to figure out what your channel is all about...

Just for giggles, I've asked ChatGPT your question & this is the response:

View attachment 13322View attachment 13323
Thanks for your reply and the wholesome ChatGPT screenshots haha, they are really motivating xD

• Haha
Reactions: Xavier De Buck

Bdominique

Hi there! I started taking my channel seriously in Nov '22. I had 71 subscribers. I started posting a video once a week, missing a post here and there.

Now Feb '23, my channel has grown from 71 subscribers to 280. My growth is not spectacular but it is growth and looking at my analytics, I will continue to grow if I stick with it.

Being consistent and growing your content (have a body of work) is what will make you grow subscriber wise.

Just my two cents

OP
OP
MultiMediaLore

MultiMediaLore

Subscriber Goal
Hi there! I started taking my channel seriously in Nov '22. I had 71 subscribers. I started posting a video once a week, missing a post here and there.

Now Feb '23, my channel has grown from 71 subscribers to 280. My growth is not spectacular but it is growth and looking at my analytics, I will continue to grow if I stick with it.

Being consistent and growing your content (have a body of work) is what will make you grow subscriber wise.

Just my two cents
Thanks for sharing your growth and congrats on your success! Over 200 subscribers within 4 months seems really great to me!

Reactions: Bdominique

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member

Just my two cents

You're at 1 sub for every 83 views. Incredible! Congrats!

Reactions: Bdominique

Xavier De Buck

Subscriber Goal
I upload 4 times a week. I had realized that my channel is growing even faster as long as I keep uploading consistently.
HATS OFF on the consistency - I'd personally LOOOOVE to post every 3-4 days but I'm clearly not doing something right as I'm struggling to get that schedule going...

Reactions: jawadsoomro