• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Is using creative commons videos without owner's permission a myth?!

Tarahally

I got a copyright strike because of reusing creative commons videos. Based on the information in You Tube help page, everyone can reuse videos marked as creative commons without infringing owner's copyright, providing they give appropriate credit as I did. However after sending counter notification, You Tube just replied me that I do not have all the necessary rights for using those contents. I'm really confused about this contradictory information.

I want to know what's the meaning of creative commons license and how can I use creative commons videos without copyright infringement?

I asked this question in You Tube community, but I didnΓÇÖt get any answer. So, I searched for a You Tube forum and I found TubeBuddy.

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
If Youtube responded and you're still in violation, that's a tough situation there. Does YouTube tell you who made the strike? I did a google search on "how can I use creative commons videos in my youtube video without copyright infringement?" and a lot of information comes up. But after opening a few of those results, it would make me very nervous growing a channel by using any CC videos.

OP
OP
T

Tarahally

There are different types of license for creative commons video and credit given have a format. Also you should make sure to mark your video under cc. You should make a checklist and check everything to be sure.
I think all creative commons videos in YouTube are under CC-BY license (as YouTube help says: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2797468) and I give credit to the owners by writing the source link, creator' channel link and finally the license of those videos in description. To make it more clear i'll attach a screenshot. But, are you sure I should mark my videos under CC?! I use Standard You Tube license!... And please explain why should I do that.

Attachments

• Capture Y.PNG
    Capture Y.PNG
    9.1 KB · Views: 55
OP
OP
T

Tarahally

If Youtube responded and you're still in violation, that's a tough situation there. Does YouTube tell you who made the strike? I did a google search on "how can I use creative commons videos in my YouTube video without copyright infringement?" and a lot of information comes up. But after opening a few of those results, it would make me very nervous growing a channel by using any CC videos.
Yes, and my first option was contacting that person. (She didn't respond of course!) And about google search, frankly I did that a lot before starting my channel. Generally, information are confusing, but the more I searched, the more I became sure. Mostly because of information in You Tube help page: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2797468

Reactions: MediaMan

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
Yes, and my first option was contacting that person. (She didn't respond of course!)

That's exactly the scenario that came up in a search and what concerned me about using these videos. Plus apparently the author can change the license type at anytime which is another concern. Obviously channels use CC videos all the time, I've never used them. I'd probably license royalty free vids from stock farms instead, at least the support chain might be easier in the event something happens.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
That's exactly the scenario that came up in a search and what concerned me about using these videos. Plus apparently the author can change the license type at anytime which is another concern. Obviously channels use CC videos all the time, I've never used them. I'd probably license royalty free vids from stock farms instead, at least the support chain might be easier in the event something happens.

Totally agree with you. Creative Commons licenses are fraught with peril and can be changed at anytime by private parties. If I see, CC license, I am gone, not going to even consider it.