• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question What are your biggest complaints about being a youtube creator?

upsocial

Just curious what everyone struggles with on the platform? What are your biggest complaints? If you owned youtube, what would you change/create?

Reactions: Xavier De Buck

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
I might be in the minority... but the less I rely on YouTube for my success on YouTube, the better I'm enjoying the platform. The only thing I would obviously change is the requirements for monetization. There is absolutely zero reason why any channel can't be monetized as long as they are verified and have a minimum of say 10k total channel views. Subs shouldn't matter....at all. Especially in 2023 moving forward.

OP
OP
upsocial

upsocial

I might be in the minority... but the less I rely on YouTube for my success on YouTube, the better I'm enjoying the platform. The only thing I would obviously change is the requirements for monetization. There is absolutely zero reason why any channel can't be monetized as long as they are verified and have a minimum of say 10k total channel views. Subs shouldn't matter....at all. Especially in 2023 moving forward.
Great point, agree 100%!

Reactions: Lindam

jawadsoomro

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy User
jawadsoomro1988.wixsite.com
Subscriber Goal
I was already monetizing my channel after hitting 100 subs back in 2016. It was until in late 2018s??? YouTube changed the monetization policy to 1000 subs and 4000 watch hours. By 2018, I already had 1000+ subs but lacked the watch hours. So, I still have $27 in my adsense account sadly. I am hoping to finish the 4000 watch hours. This requirement is a lot.
Also, YouTube allows creators to monetize shorts for maintaining 10M views on 90 days. That's insane. They are trying to compete with tiktok. But I dont think that we should copy other apps algorithm and do same for us. YouTube is known for long videos.
I can actually complain a lot about YouTube. These were just basics :p :joy:

• Haha
Reactions: Xavier De Buck
OP
OP
upsocial

upsocial

I was already monetizing my channel after hitting 100 subs back in 2016. It was until in late 2018s??? YouTube changed the monetization policy to 1000 subs and 4000 watch hours. By 2018, I already had 1000+ subs but lacked the watch hours. So, I still have $27 in my adsense account sadly. I am hoping to finish the 4000 watch hours. This requirement is a lot.
Also, YouTube allows creators to monetize shorts for maintaining 10M views on 90 days. That's insane. They are trying to compete with tiktok. But I dont think that we should copy other apps algorithm and do same for us. YouTube is known for long videos.
I can actually complain a lot about YouTube. These were just basics :p :joy:
Spot on, would love to know your other complaints!

Reactions: jawadsoomro

Xavier De Buck

Subscriber Goal
It seems MONETISATION is the main culprit based on the above.

SAY you were monetised tomorrow, so that problem is off the table, from which direction would you anticipate hurdles / obstacles / complaints to come from? Asking for a friend :)

Steamy Reviews

TubeBuddy User
It seems MONETISATION is the main culprit based on the above.

SAY you were monetised tomorrow, so that problem is off the table, from which direction would you anticipate hurdles / obstacles / complaints to come from? Asking for a friend :)
Lets say my channel did grow exponentially and the monetization wasn't an issue, I could see dealing with bigger fanbase being an issue. Things like negative comments, requests for content I might not want to create, and just having to invest even more time than I already do.

Bdominique

My complaint is that YouTube has started placing ads on my content (no, I don't have any copyright strikes).

They see the traffic my channel gets (which isn't much) and appropriateness of my content and so they've placed ads.

My problem is that they're not sharing the revenue. I don't qualify for the program yet, true. But it's still MY content. Yes, it's on their platform, but it's still MY content. If they're going to place ads, I should get a cut whether I qualify or not. I think it's not fair.

I think if they feel the need to place ads at their discretion, they should allow small creators into the program early.

This is just my little gripe.

Xavier De Buck

Subscriber Goal
My complaint is that YouTube has started placing ads on my content (no, I don't have any copyright strikes).

They see the traffic my channel gets (which isn't much) and appropriateness of my content and so they've placed ads.

My problem is that they're not sharing the revenue. I don't qualify for the program yet, true. But it's still MY content. Yes, it's on their platform, but it's still MY content. If they're going to place ads, I should get a cut whether I qualify or not. I think it's not fair.

I think if they feel the need to place ads at their discretion, they should allow small creators into the program early.

This is just my little gripe.
I can totally see your point - it's definitely not fair.

HOWEVER, I always say you're getting what you've paid for.

You're on the YouTube platform for free, don't have to pay a monthly membership fee, get to upload as many videos as you like, entertain your followers, give brand exposure to 1,000's / 10,000's / 100,000's of eyeballs per month etc, and all of this doesn't cost you one dollar to do?

Yes, this means they can place ads in between your content which will all go to them - until you've monetised your account and start getting part of the proceeds.

My 2 cents.

Bdominique

I can totally see your point - it's definitely not fair.

HOWEVER, I always say you're getting what you've paid for.

You're on the YouTube platform for free, don't have to pay a monthly membership fee, get to upload as many videos as you like, entertain your followers, give brand exposure to 1,000's / 10,000's / 100,000's of eyeballs per month etc, and all of this doesn't cost you one dollar to do?

Yes, this means they can place ads in between your content which will all go to them - until you've monetised your account and stThaart getting part of the proceeds.

My 2 cents.

If that's the case, why not put ads on all small channels? If they're hurting for that money, why not? Well, they don't. Those smaller channels are getting 1000s 10,000s of eyeballs like me (NOT even close), so why are they targeting my content? Why not just monetize the channels and and give them a cut? Both parties making money and you encourage them to continue making content for your platform?

Like I said, it's just a gripe and one that I stand by.

Xavier De Buck

Subscriber Goal
If that's the case, why not put ads on all small channels? If they're hurting for that money, why not? Well, they don't. Those smaller channels are getting 1000s 10,000s of eyeballs like me (NOT even close), so why are they targeting my content? Why not just monetize the channels and and give them a cut? Both parties making money and you encourage them to continue making content for your platform?

Like I said, it's just a gripe and one that I stand by.
I hear you - let's talk this through a tad deeper then.

Someone comes up with a genius business idea (and enormous amount of money) and hires large teams of developers, designers, software, hardware, offices etc to create something we now know as YouTube.

We all get to hang out on their playgrounds for free. They're putting ads up and now we want a cut of their revenues.... for doing what exactly?

So, they're now saying if you get to prove your worth by contributing enough videos of value which are drawing attention (ie 4,000 watch hours) from enough followers (ie 1,000 subs), you get to share in the revenues. Until then, you're just another person consuming content.

Now we're on the topic -- where does Zuckerberg stand in all this? You're creating posts, videos, reels etc across Facebook and Instagram to your 1,000's / 10,000's of followers, creating millions of minutes of entertainment to keep people on those platforms.

May I ask how much META is paying back to its content creators?

• Love
Reactions: MattCommand1

The Jungle Explorer

I should have been born 200 years ago!
TubeBuddy Pro
thejungleexplorer.com
Subscriber Goal
Just curious what everyone struggles with on the platform? What are your biggest complaints? If you owned youtube, what would you change/create?

I open my YouTube account in 2005 when YT first started. I have been with YT from the beginning. It has come a long way since then. Over the course of that time, there have been many ups and downs. It is a roller coaster ride for sure. I have had many complaints of the years, such when the YT leadership pulled a CYB maneuver and threw the creators under the bus in 2017 during the great ADpocalypse. They blamed the creators for YT illegal actions of violating the COPPA Act. YT got the FCC so riled up at creators that the FCC director threatened to hunt us down and shoot us like "Fish in a Barrel" and threatened to fine creators $46,000 per violation of YT showing targeted ads to children on our videos. As, if it was the creators that had control over the ads YT places on our videos. :rolleyes: Utter stupidity!

So, my complaint is the stupid decisions that the YT staff makes that affect the honest hard working creators. Most people have not been around long enough or were not aware enough of what was going on to know these behind-the-scenes things YT has done over the years. But, for a long time, it was the only game in town, so you really had little choice. That is no longer the case anymore, so it will be interesting to see what the future holds for YT if the staff keeps treating the creators that built YT like disposables they can step on.

Xavier De Buck

Subscriber Goal
My biggest angry self contain on youtube is that i get a fool guy telling me that (you dont no sh***t about your city) For example when i title my video as (the best in the world town) then i get critize by some fool who message me on that video almost wanting to fight or argue with me telling me your city is nothing better then the rest... so on.. or that if i say something good positive about my city on the video some fool just 1 fool with nerves... goes on against me by sending a message to my video comment where the user seems like he seems irritated that i say NICE things about my city or that I sound very vibe positive about my city.. and who ever the idiot is.. sounds like he or she is irritated or wants to course trouble.... Just because i title the video the best town ever or if i speak on camera on the video i say my city is the best in this world. or something and then you have that 1 single mysterious fool coursing trouble... almost as if the user wants to fight me telling me that (you dont no sh***t about your city) and so on... By the way most likely a fool whos not even subscribe... Only 1 random idiotic who course trouble or just makes it sound like i must call my city the worse city in this planet or some kind of agression. for me i never speak agression and never nagative. Im always vibe about my town I see i could slightly investigate more or less and the idiot seems like some local guy or living in my country whos about in his 50s age.... That someone who gives bad comments on my video are a selfish and foolish. They do it because im doing good with my videos and he doesnt or whatever the case may be. I block the user and deleted the comment. Also i could had easily said drag your head on the highway when your driving... that will learn his lesson not to go around been rude.... a selfish mid age male. How could people be so rude and nasty.... Full stop.
Oh -- interesting to hear. I LOOOVE the haters.

I don't delete their comments. I thrive in answering their angry, non-sensical, rude responses in a professional manner, and let the audience draw their own conclusions what's really happening! And most of the time, your hardcore followers in your audience will come to your defense and level that person...

Per your example - if that one person comments how your tour or city isn't up to scratch, that's his person opinion, just like the tour is yours. Plenty of easy and quick ways to remain calm, polite, and respond without having to delete their comments.

PLUS, every engagement of them on your post only favours you as it tells YT there's clearly some activity happening on that video, so let's increase its reach!

(obviously, if they target personal traits, racism, use horrible vocabulary etc, they're deleted/blocked)