• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question So, the dislike button is back! Should we be worried?

John316

Recognized Member
UPDATE: I went back and read again the article and turns out I misunderstood what they were saying, so please disregard the below question. My bad ...

Anyway, should we as creators be concerned at all about the dislike button? How will it affect people trying to start a new channel? Will they ever have a chance now?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disregard the below question:
I was reading that one of the reasons that YouTube took the dislike button away was so that creators can avoid harassment from a very few people who become obsessed with bringing people down maliciously by using some sort of what I will call 'back end' method of bombarding videos with dislikes just for the sake of being malicious. So, with this in mind, how can we as creators protect ourselves from such actions?

Last edited:

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
very few people who become obsessed with bringing people down maliciously by using some sort of what I will call 'back end' method of bombarding videos with dislikes

How could 1 person bombard a video with multiple dislikes?

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
Please go re-read my updated question

When I first had my first few dislikes I spent a day or 2 researching everything about dislikes, competitor shenanigans, etc, etc. The best strategy to combat this is to just keep creating content and growing your channel. As your channel grows you should see the percentage of dislikes shrinking so it shouldn't be a long term problem. If the percentage of (not the number of) dislikes stays the same (or is growing) then perhaps there is some content concerns. But typically any engagement good or bad is ok for the channel. One of my best performing videos has a very high dislike percent. ;)

OP
OP
J

John316

Recognized Member
When I first had my first few dislikes I spent a day or 2 researching everything about dislikes, competitor shenanigans, etc, etc. The best strategy to combat this is to just keep creating content and growing your channel. As your channel grows you should see the percentage of dislikes shrinking so it shouldn't be a long term problem. If the percentage of (not the number of) dislikes stays the same (or is growing) then perhaps there is some content concerns. But typically any engagement good or bad is ok for the channel. One of my best performing videos has a very high dislike percent. ;)
Hmm? Well, OK. Thanks for the reply ...

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
Well, if no one dislike your videos, that probably means you aren't differentiating yourself enough. No one can be everything to everyone. You want the people who don't belong to kick themselves out as quickly as possible. The dislike button is some indication of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ater and MediaMan

jawadsoomro

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy User
jawadsoomro1988.wixsite.com
Subscriber Goal
I have seen many people disliking videos to demotivate the content creators. I believe its some form of harassment or bullying. There are crazy people around the world who would Hate on you. I think YouTube did great job. Now if someone dislikes me, I should be only worried about whether my content was bad or not engaging and how to improve it, rather than worrying about Haters turning you down.

cubeytcl

I think it is unfair to have dislike button, people just dropped by and give you dislike not because your content is bad, it may simply be some haters, people who jealous or just click it for fun.
it is hard to judge what is behind the dislike, and it can make te creator feeling depress. Also, the first impression to new viewer is bad. few years ago, I was like one of them, cos i was young and stupid, i dropped by a channel and see so many dislike, it stops me froms subscribing or watching.

HealthyTiffany

Subscriber Goal
Unless you have multiple people swarming your videos and spamming dislike on all of your content, you should be OK. In terms of likes/dislikes, YouTube understands bot reactions so any swarm activity like that should be noticeable, I'd think.
Be excited if you get a couple of dislikes! It means your content is spreading and getting exposure to all different types of people. That's how I see it, anyways.

Reactions: cubeytcl

mrdumb2023

www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
I think dislikes still a kind of 'promotion' to the videos so it really doesn't matter a lot. But you may think of why the dislike appears. Bad content? Unpleasant feelings to audience?