• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube SEO Captions?

LibertyLinks

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
nbgrooms.com
Subscriber Goal
YouTube is often recommending we put captions on our videos. They say it helps boost search rank as well as help visually impaired users. I wouldn't know how to go by setting the captions up, or how I'd use them. Any advice?

pucksandpaperbacks

YouTube is often recommending we put captions on our videos. They say it helps boost search rank as well as help visually impaired users. I wouldn't know how to go by setting the captions up, or how I'd use them. Any advice?
I caption my videos! I have many audience members who are HOH or Deaf and/or just need captions. YouTube will manually add captions but you can go in and change them. I would recommend that because they aren't that accurate. There are many great videos on YouTube about how to caption your video.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal

If you are in the U.S., YT automatically creates English captions for most videos. However, you should go in and review and edit the captions/subtitles because YT doesn't always get it right 100% of the time. After you establish the English subtitles, it is a simple matter to auto-generate other language captions.

You can find the captions under Subtitles submenu on the left when you edit your video descriptions.

Last edited:

Xavier De Buck

Subscriber Goal
Am I the only nerd who follows the advice to provide captions / subtitles in multiple languages on my videos?

Screenshot 2023-03-06 at 19.14.34.png
Screenshot 2023-03-06 at 19.17.57.png

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Am I the only nerd who follows the advice to provide captions / subtitles in multiple languages on my videos?

I caption most of my videos with the top 10-12 languages by memory. But I haven't done foreign language titles yet because that it is more tedious without the Legend subscription.

Reactions: Xavier De Buck

The Boozebuddy

TubeBuddy User
boozebuddyupdate.com
Subscriber Goal
I write a script and while I dont always follow it verbatim, it's usually closer than what YouTube automatically comes up with. There are services that will automatically transcribe your videos for a fee, but you can also play your video while using a speech-to-text service like Google Docs to transcribe them.

Reactions: Xavier De Buck