• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Will we still need to worry about subscribers anymore?

John316

Recognized Member
What does anybody know for SURE yet about the idea being tossed around by YouTube about eliminating subscribers altogeter?
What is the reason they would do that?

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
Check your view history. ;) I did some research and nothing came up. I don't see how any social media site could remove subs, followers, etc. But..I definitely could see YouTube eliminating subs as a requirement for monetization in the future. When it comes to revenue for both YT and creators, the end game is views anyway. I could even see lowering the viewing hours and instead adding revenue split percent amount thresholds as your channel views grow over time. I wonder what the average is YouTube makes off those initial 1000 subs / 4000 watch hours. hmm....

OP
OP
J

John316

Recognized Member
Check your view history. ;) I did some research and nothing came up. I don't see how any social media site could remove subs, followers, etc. But..I definitely could see YouTube eliminating subs as a requirement for monetization in the future. When it comes to revenue for both YT and creators, the end game is views anyway. I could even see lowering the viewing hours and instead adding revenue split percent amount thresholds as your channel views grow over time. I wonder what the average is YouTube makes off those initial 1000 subs / 4000 watch hours. hmm....
Yeah! Your right! In my opinion it seems like if they offered monitization easier then it would be a motivator for smaller channel to start doing more. Even if they didthe monitization on a tiered system where the more videos and watch time you have the higher the payout!!!

Reactions: MediaMan

on a dark night

www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Yeah! Your right! In my opinion it seems like if they offered monitization easier then it would be a motivator for smaller channel to start doing more. Even if they didthe monitization on a tiered system where the more videos and watch time you have the higher the payout!!!

This is a tricky one .
I'm very close to the 4000 views which I'm confident I'll reach within the next week or three but gaining subs has been very tricky .
There could be people who watch your channel without even subbing , I've been guilty of that too .
There was a guy whose videos to do with movie facts I watched every week and he is very popular but I did not even realise until months later I wasnt even subscribed to him.
I'm only one person (and he had plenty of subs anyway although his views far outweighed his subs ) but what if a lot of people watch without subbing .

I've not read anything about the 1000 subs stipulation being relaxed anywhere and it will only happen if it's in YouTube's best interests .
I'd like to see it relaxed (wouldn't we all !) but that's obviously because I know it would benefit me .
If this rumour is true (sadly though I doubt it without a verifiable source ) then it may be looking up for some youtubers .

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
I'm very close to the 4000 views which I'm confident I'll reach within the next week or three but gaining subs has been very tricky .

I know this might be a bit heart breaking... but it's not 4000 views... it's 4000 view hours and within your last 12 months. Shorts do not count toward that as they are counted separately for their own monetization requirements.

OP
OP
J

John316

Recognized Member
This is a tricky one .
There could be people who watch your channel without even subbing , I've been guilty of that too .
There was a guy whose videos to do with movie facts I watched every week and he is very popular but I did not even realise until months later I wasnt even subscribed to him.
I'm only one person (and he had plenty of subs anyway although his views far outweighed his subs ) but what if a lot of people watch without subbing .

I've not read anything about the 1000 subs stipulation being relaxed anywhere and it will only happen if it's in YouTube's best interests .
I'd like to see it relaxed (wouldn't we all !) but that's obviously because I know it would benefit me .
If this rumour is true (sadly though I doubt it without a verifiable source ) then it may be looking up for some youtubers .
There is one creator who teaches people how to create a YouTube channel, Nate of Channel Makers, who said in my opinion very smartly to NEVER ask for subs! Why? Because if the people watching like your content then they will subscribe on their own and are much more likely to keep watching your content rather that having a ton of people who just blindly sub your channel but never actually come back to view your content. So, of the subs that you DO have, take a look at your analytics and see how much of your views are from returning subscribers! I think Nate really has a major point on this one! Yes, it might take longer to reach the watch time and subs you need, but if your content stays good then over time you will do well! Thanks Nate for that AWESOME piece of advice! For me as a new creator, it helps me to not stress over subs. In fact I'm not even going to stress over watch time either! Where I am going to put ALL of my energy is into making great content!

BeautyWithinme

I started my channel 1 year and 3 months ago, and IΓÇÖm monetized but still have not receive a check from YouTube because you still have to make at least 100 before they pay you and itΓÇÖs not easy because you really only get 1 cent to 2 cents per view . I have one video that has over 5000 views and I only made 7.80 cents . IΓÇÖm still learning YouTube itΓÇÖs not easy at all to make money off of it and the ones who do surely want share there secrets . IΓÇÖve did everything great thumbnails, tags , consistently post and IΓÇÖm still not sure how YouTube chooses the videos they recommend.

@BeautyWithinme

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
I have not heard anything about it, but it would not bother me. I was monetized before sub count mattered. It was just on number of views (I never applied, they invited me to monetize). Now YT seems to care more about view hours, number of views per session, etc. Sub count is pretty useless without views and retention.

OP
OP
J

John316

Recognized Member
I have not heard anything about it, but it would not bother me. I was monetized before sub count mattered. It was just on number of views (I never applied, they invited me to monetize). Now YT seems to care more about view hours, number of views per session, etc. Sub count is pretty useless without views and retention.
Yes... exactly! This is what I was saying before about the reason for NOT asking for subs at all because if you can boast about having 10K subs, but only 1K of them are actually really ever coming back on a regular basis, then those other 9K subs do NOTHING for you! Once again, what I am learning is that the metric of RETURNING viewers is becoming more and more important because returning viewers equals more watch time!

on a dark night

www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
No prob, but If I may be so bold to inquire... on your Nightmare Truth channel?

I must apologize once again!
You're right, I dont know how I missed that. I'll blame it on tiredness as I only get 5-6 hours to myself including my sleep time (for various reasons) but still I should've clocked that.
I thought it was doing better than I thought .
This is going to be a long ride !!

Reactions: MediaMan
OP
OP
J

John316

Recognized Member
Well, all I know is that I am discovering that views, likes and watchtime (retention) are the most important thing right now (unless anyone can say different!)

Xavier De Buck

Subscriber Goal
There is one creator who teaches people how to create a YouTube channel, Nate of Channel Makers, who said in my opinion very smartly to NEVER ask for subs! Why? Because if the people watching like your content then they will subscribe on their own and are much more likely to keep watching your content rather that having a ton of people who just blindly sub your channel but never actually come back to view your content. So, of the subs that you DO have, take a look at your analytics and see how much of your views are from returning subscribers! I think Nate really has a major point on this one! Yes, it might take longer to reach the watch time and subs you need, but if your content stays good then over time you will do well! Thanks Nate for that AWESOME piece of advice! For me as a new creator, it helps me to not stress over subs. In fact I'm not even going to stress over watch time either! Where I am going to put ALL of my energy is into making great content!

I saw that video of his recently as well and was likewise impressed! First hesitant, then bewildered, then exciting! You rather ask for a LIKE or COMMENT than a subscribe.... how about that?!

OP
OP
J

John316

Recognized Member
CORRECTION: Nate made another video clarifying what he said. What he was saying was to not ask in the first 45 seconds of the video and to be more tacktful and strategic as to when AND how you go about asking for SUBS!

So many creators just flood their videos with requests for SUBS that it is a total distraction from their content, makes them look desperate and is actually a potential hurting them because people just might move on to another video because of it! So, be sure to be VERY mindful of when, where and how you ask for SUBS!

Reactions: Xavier De Buck

Xavier De Buck

Subscriber Goal
CORRECTION: Nate made another video clarifying what he said. What he was saying was to not ask in the first 45 seconds of the video and to be more tacktful and strategic as to when AND how you go about asking for SUBS!

So many creators just flood their videos with requests for SUBS that it is a total distraction from their content, makes them look desperate and is actually a potential hurting them because people just might move on to another video because of it! So, be sure to be VERY mindful of when, where and how you ask for SUBS!

Excellent important note there! Thanks for setting that straight for us!