• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Opinion Help: Dismal number of subscribers

foodtravelsg8

www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Have a YouTube channel for almost 4 years now. Thought of using it to earn some small income since I'm now retiring. Was hoping to see some natural growth in number of subscribers but it is pretty dismal and disheartening. Thought of giving up a few times already. Just started using TubeBuddy and trying to implement some of its recommendations for my older videos. If there is any experts who can see any shortcomings in my humble noob channel (foodtravelsg8), I highly appreciate it if you can share it with me and I will make changes to them. Thank-you very much in advance and have a nice day

Reactions: marius_1937

jawadsoomro

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy User
jawadsoomro1988.wixsite.com
Subscriber Goal
Alright. I can see many things that you need to change. You need to have a LOGO that represents your Food brand identity. Your channel cover isn't appealing to the eyes, so work on that too. Your video thumbnails are nice. Your photography is impressive. Try to look for other food channels. Learn how they are making thumbnails, then try to implement that formula into your thumbnails. Maybe adding a text on thumbnail? Not for all? but for few videos with low views??
You have 800+ subs and 300k views. Don't be disheartened. I have less views than that. Keep posting and keep growing. Be consistent as much as possible. Try to add more description to your youtube channel.

• Love
Reactions: mjakko256 and Damon

John316

Recognized Member
Some might hate me for this because for some this is somewhat controversial as to how much it should be used, but you can also use chat GPT to help with some of what your doing. Of course you can always modify what you get from that to personalize it more to you specifically, but it can give you some help with more complete descriptions of your videos.

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
Keep in mind you're in a fairly competitive niche so if you don't stand out, it could be very hard to get decent views. One thing that is obvious, your thumbnails are extremely weak. They are very generic, food looks bland, etc. I am by far not a thumbnail expert, but even subtle changes to saturation can make a difference. In the attached example I increased the brightness/saturation of just the food and added an emoji graphic representing taste, but you could replace that with a head shot of you (or a model) smiling, looking at the food, etc, etc. Also, your videos are begging for shorts version of each one. I would 100% start making shorts right now and make sure to ask for a like/sub as well in the shorts. Contrary to what most might tell you, it's worth asking in the video from my experience. Otherwise just keep adding content, it's not going to be a fast ride to 1000, sit back and make quality content. Good luck!

Attachments

• afterthumb.png
    afterthumb.png
    134 KB · Views: 47

John316

Recognized Member
May I also suggest that as you make your content that you start talking with some excitement about what your seeing! As it is you are just walking around shooting video of food. Also, SLOW DOWN and stay on each food longer. In my opinion you are moving the camera too fast from one to the other and not giving people enough time to look. At least the amount of time on each is uneaven. I say to stop on each one, count to 10 in your head and then move on to the next one. You can always make it shorter in editing how long you actually stay on each food. It's always best to shoot more than you need than not enough!

• Love
Reactions: Damon

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
Have a YouTube channel for almost 4 years now. Thought of using it to earn some small income since I'm now retiring. Was hoping to see some natural growth in number of subscribers but it is pretty dismal and disheartening. Thought of giving up a few times already. Just started using TubeBuddy and trying to implement some of its recommendations for my older videos. If there is any experts who can see any shortcomings in my humble noob channel (foodtravelsg8), I highly appreciate it if you can share it with me and I will make changes to them. Thank-you very much in advance and have a nice day

OK, so I'll give you my thoughts on your questions but bare in mind, this is only my opinion. You're welcome to listen to it and accept some of the suggestions I might make but by no means take what I say as a professional statement. I can only advise based on my experience and the years I've been part of the TubeBuddy team and what I've learned from all the awesome YouTube pros I've watched. With that said:

Let me start by pointing to the first thing every content creator should do when starting a channel. You need to know who your Ideal Audience is. An Ideal Audience are the viewers you are making specific content for. In your case, as a food channel, you need to take into account what kind of food you're making (Asia cuisine, seafood specifically, vegan, etc), if you're making how to videos, reviewing restaurants you're eating in or even food challenges, what country you're audience is likely from ( The US, China, Australia, etc) and even if you're putting yourself in the videos, only your voice or just the video of the food with music in the background. All this will create a very specific audience that you can teach the YouTube algorithm target with your content. Once you figure out who your Ideal Audience is you go to the next step.

Focus on making content. Forget subs, forget views. Right now, you're channel may be 4 years old, but I looked at your content and what I saw was 124 videos in 4 years with huge gaps between video dates. The YouTube algorithm, and viewers, likes consistency, like a TV show. If they don't get their weekly fix of their favorite TV show they notice. The same happens on YouTube. I'm not saying you have to be perfect and never miss a video but when they expect a video the same day or days every week viewers will notice. I recommend creating a schedule and sticking to it as best as you can. 1 video a week, every 2 weeks or even once a month. Just be consistent. But you'll also want to take into account that you'll want to, at least in the early stages of growth, to make as much content as you can. Most YouTube pros will suggest either 30 videos in 3 months (about 2 a week) or 100 videos in a year. The idea here is to let the YouTube algorithm get to know your content so it can analyze it and find the right audience for your content. The more content you make the more data for the algorithm to find the audience you're looking for. This is also the best time to work on your content. To improve your editing, the audio, your style and what ideas and angles work best for your videos. You can learn to read your analytics tab in your YouTube Studios so you can see what engages your audience more and change what doesn't.

It's understandable to consider giving up. Being a content creator can be frustrating. But this is the reality. Most new YouTubers give up quick because they expect instant results not realizing that being a content creator is not as easy as just recording some video, editing it, uploading and bam, you get views. The best advice someone once said was "YouTube is a marathon, not a sprint". In essence, to succeed on YouTube you have to have a lot of patience, time, faith in yourself and the will to keep going no matter how bad it seems. If you can handle this and make good content, your channel should eventually grow.

I hope this helps.

OP
OP
foodtravelsg8

foodtravelsg8

www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Wow! Didn't expect to get any reply actually but man, this forum rocks! BIG THANK-YOU to everyone for your kind advice. Will try my best to implement some of these best practices but will clear some old videos first. Hopefully, my Japan trip next month will provide better contents for subsequent months upload. Thanks again repliers and God bless

John316

Recognized Member
May I also say to add some music! Put some sort of energy and movement to it! Mix it up a bit, some fast, some slow! Keep the viewer guessing what youer going to do next!