• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Channel Review What could I do to improve this channel?

swampthang

TubeBuddy Pro
User name: swampthang
Title of thread: What could I do to improve this channel?
Self review: This is a guitar instructional channel. The videos I posted over the last 4 weeks are really my first instructional videos so I realize it's very early in the development of the channel. I'm an absolute newbie but have been soaking up all I can to learn best practices, etc. I haven't paid enough attention to thumbnails and titles until the last 2 videos I posted. I felt like my growth was good on these initial videos because I've gotten 14.4K views and 400 subscribers. I'm realizing that I must work harder on making better videos, my CTR and average view duration. All of those have improved over the past week or so but impressions have absolutely tanked. I value your honest feedback.
Channel review or Video review? Channel review
Link to channel: https://www.youtube.com/@guitarcreative
Link to other review post: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/53109/

OP
OP
swampthang

swampthang

TubeBuddy Pro
I don't know if you realize this or not, but for every 36 views you're getting a subscriber which is crazy amazing. My advice would be what ever the hell you're doing....do alot more of it!
Haha! Thanks, MediaMan! You made me smile. The thing I've seen over the last week or so is impressions have really dropped off. I suspect it has something to do with a too-low average click-through and average view duration. I see where this kind of drop-off is sort of a normal cycle for new channels. I will be posting 2 new videos this week so hopefully they'l do better in terms of CTR and average view duration enough that YouTube's algorithm will want to show it to more folks. Here are analytics...
Screen Shot 2023-01-08 at 2.40.08 PM.png

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
The only thing I can add is, you're a new channel (same here with mine) and you only have 17 videos in what 3-4 months, so I don't know if there is enough data to assume anything long term to be honest. I was going to address your thumbs (text way too small) but it looks like you're on top of that with your 2 recent videos. Otherwise, just focus on good thumbs, keep the content informative and let it ride. You're off to a great start, I wouldn't stress too much at all. Once you get to 50-100 videos then you'll have some really good data to analyze.

Reactions: swampthang

Mauro's Mission

youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
My dad never learned how to read notes but played and plays the best IΓÇÖve ever heard. HeΓÇÖs like Steve vai in his prime. IΓÇÖm 42 so heΓÇÖs 61 and IΓÇÖd like to learn so keep your videos coming out but try and improve titles and hashtags after titles and description and hashtags area and a good thumbnail and soon enough you will blow up. You got a valuable craft

Reactions: swampthang

somewhere in Korea

from what I saw, your channel looks great and you're fun to watch ! your personality comes out and I think people will enjoy getting to know you through your videos as well. Perhaps the thumbnails could use a little tweaking to make them pop up a little more .. perhaps remove the busy backgrounds so you and the guitar are more emphasised ? But really your channel looks great so far. Good job !

OP
OP
swampthang

swampthang

TubeBuddy Pro
My dad never learned how to read notes but played and plays the best IΓÇÖve ever heard. HeΓÇÖs like Steve vai in his prime. IΓÇÖm 42 so heΓÇÖs 61 and IΓÇÖd like to learn so keep your videos coming out but try and improve titles and hashtags after titles and description and hashtags area and a good thumbnail and soon enough you will blow up. You got a valuable craft
Thanks, Mauro! I'll take all that to heart. Really appreciate that.

OP
OP
swampthang

swampthang

TubeBuddy Pro
from what I saw, your channel looks great and you're fun to watch ! your personality comes out and I think people will enjoy getting to know you through your videos as well. Perhaps the thumbnails could use a little tweaking to make them pop up a little more .. perhaps remove the busy backgrounds so you and the guitar are more emphasised ? But really your channel looks great so far. Good job !
Thanks for the encouragement. Really appreciate it.

OP
OP
swampthang

swampthang

TubeBuddy Pro
The only thing I can add is, you're a new channel (same here with mine) and you only have 17 videos in what 3-4 months, so I don't know if there is enough data to assume anything long term to be honest. I was going to address your thumbs (text way too small) but it looks like you're on top of that with your 2 recent videos. Otherwise, just focus on good thumbs, keep the content informative and let it ride. You're off to a great start, I wouldn't stress too much at all. Once you get to 50-100 videos then you'll have some really good data to analyze.
Thanks. Sorry for the delay replying. I just spent the last 10 days absorbing the book, "How to Make Videos That Don't Suck" and creating my next video. I also created a new welcome video. Still working at getting my studio/office set up to do a better job of this. The video I posted Saturday has already seen improved CTR as well as average view duration. Getting there.

Reactions: MediaMan

malluarenagaming

to increase CTR make a good title and thumbnail, to improve view duaration you can find ups and dips of viewers in analytics section of each video

Antonio Escudero

TubeBuddy Legend
Hola amigo, tienes un canal con bastante potencial, sabes transmitir y eso es muy importante, las metricas para ser todavía un canal pequeño están muy bien, mi consejo es que realices miniaturas más minimalistas, con menos texto. Piensa que las miniaturas se ven en un gran porcentaje en moviles. Yo noté mucha mejoría cuando dejé de escribir tanto en las miniaturas, de hecho, las cambié y subió el CTR de mi canal. si pongo letras las pongo grandes. SALUDOS!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Xavier De Buck

Subscriber Goal

In-line with what was mentioned here, @swampthang , perhaps you ought to go back over ALL your older videos and update the THUMBNAIL on every single one of them....I'm 100% sure you'll see an uptick in activity on those! You're clearly seeing more engagments/views on your newer videos and what's changed since?

I've mentioned elsewhere on this forum that I LOOOVE the A/B TESTING function TB has...I can't stop trying out one thumbnail vs another...or one title vs another...and let the market decide which stats are better performing! Once you've got your thumbnail chosen by the market, time to test that title vs another one etc.

My 2 cents as I'm going through that rabbit hole myself and am amazed by the 20-30-40% improved stats given to me by the variations tested in the A/B TEST

RamblingReliks

I think you need to be telling us how to improve. I'm not into music personally, but the video and audio quality is spot on and the screen caps and narration is easy to follow. I think you just need to keep soldiering on and you'll do fine. I'm not really sure how this can be improved beyond being patience and waiting for it to do the numbers.

Reactions: Xavier De Buck

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
Hi, I also own a youtube channel where I sell guitars and teach people about how to repair guitars by yourself. I've posted around 200 videos so far and average duration of each video is 3-5 minutes. After a lot of hard work plus dedication, I'm still unable to grow my channel and none of my video is gone viral.

I don't know what to do? It's purely optimized and whole channel is best optimized but still no improvement so far as per my expectations.

Can you pls help?

What's the link to your channel?

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
wait... someone said linking to your channels is not allowed? Mods... feel free to remove this and the above message. Thx.

The Swiss Hiker

TubeBuddy User
theswisshiker.ch
Subscriber Goal
I think you have a great channel and you getting views and subs. Besides what others have already mentioned, wI really love your introduction video. But why do you have black screen at the end? I guess a lot of people will just stop there which lowers the time they watch in percentages. I would cut that out in the YouTube editor and show the end screens before. But other then that I think you have a great channel and you will reach monitarization soon.

chilisaucecritic

Subscriber Goal
User name: swampthang
Title of thread: What could I do to improve this channel?
Self review: This is a guitar instructional channel. The videos I posted over the last 4 weeks are really my first instructional videos so I realize it's very early in the development of the channel. I'm an absolute newbie but have been soaking up all I can to learn best practices, etc. I haven't paid enough attention to thumbnails and titles until the last 2 videos I posted. I felt like my growth was good on these initial videos because I've gotten 14.4K views and 400 subscribers. I'm realizing that I must work harder on making better videos, my CTR and average view duration. All of those have improved over the past week or so but impressions have absolutely tanked. I value your honest feedback.
Channel review or Video review? Channel review
Link to channel: https://www.youtube.com/@guitarcreative
Link to other review post: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/53109/

As someone who just bangs away into it starts to sound like what I'm trying to play, I'm gonna start watching your vids and maybe I can move beyond being a Johnny 3 chords lol.

• Haha