• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Opinion I'm a bit self-conscious about being on carmera. What do you think about this part?

John316

Recognized Member
What I mean is that I am 5'8" and I fluxuate between 200# and 204# and like a lot of guys it is all in my gut!
I'm just wondering when being on camera if the content is good, if people will really care much about that?

I have seen some videos on YouTube that say that using your hands is actually an important part of making
good videos, but in order for me to do that I will have to be vulnerable to be seen as I am!

Opinions?

Reactions: Kuyink

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
Keeping it real.... I've seen a bunch of successful channels featuring people that would never win a beauty contest, but they have one or more of these traits going for them: Clear spoken word, confidence on camera, likeable personality. If you're in this for the long run, simply get it out of the way early on. Make one of your 1st videos a simple "hello it's me, here's what I have planned". lol.. :)

" will really care much about that? " - As long as the content is good? Nope.

OP
OP
J

John316

Recognized Member
Keeping it real.... I've seen a bunch of successful channels featuring people that would never win a beauty contest, but they have one or more of these traits going for them: Clear spoken word, confidence on camera, likeable personality. If you're in this for the long run, simply get it out of the way early on. Make one of your 1st videos a simple "hello it's me, here's what I have planned". lol.. :)

" will really care much about that? " - As long as the content is good? Nope.
Thanks for the words of encouragement..

lonelytalks

Recognized Member
As long as the content is good people don't really focus on the looks. I'm a bit on awkward side like you so starting with faceless videos for a while and I may switch based on the output. All the best for your journey!

Reactions: John316

Damon

Trusted User
Trusted User
www.blackwarriorlures.com
Subscriber Goal
@MediaMan is spot on. I certainly won't win any beauty contests, but I've developed such a thick skin back my music years that being on camera feels like cheating, lol. At some point you gotta develop a little bit of a I-don't-give-a-rip mentality.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

John316

Recognized Member
p
@MediaMan is spot on. I certainly won't win any beauty contests, but I've developed such a thick skin back my music years that being on camera feels like cheating, lol. At some point you gotta develop a little bit of a I-don't-give-a-rip mentality.
Sorry for the late replies to you all. Been dealing with a crisis at my place the past few days. Plumbing problem in my apartment. They replaced the floor in my entire place but that meant moving all my stuff out while they did that yesterday (And then setting it all back up again! Yeah! - Moving is always fun, right?). Anyway, just beginning to get back in touch with the world again after a very damatic week! I hear ALL of you and once again, appreciate everyone's feedback! (Now off to continue putting my stuff away) and implimenting the 5-year rule.. If I haven't used it in 5 years it has to go!

Reactions: Damon

Dewackymedia

You can also create content where you are not required to show your face. You can do video commentaries, remixing of certain videos, compilations, etc.

Bubblegummonsters

It's really hard when you first do a video and you're so conscious of all your flaws but the only way to get over that is to just keep doing videos. After around ten or so you'll have forgotten all about the camera and who might be viewing.