• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Video Review Please Review My Short Horror Film

LibertyLinks

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
nbgrooms.com
Subscriber Goal
User name: LibertyLinks
Title of thread: Please Review My Short Horror Film
Self review: I'm aiming at a horror short film with this project and would like some advice and suggestions from others on this forum. I'm pretty satisfied with the results given that I'm just getting used to new editing software. I'm interested in hearing from others.
Channel review or Video review? Video review

Link to Video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_vzfGjYl1Q

Link to other review post: https://community.tubebuddy.com/index.php?threads/52090/#post-163903

Reactions: youngblood00

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
OK, let me start by saying that this is just my opinion and is in no way an opinion on the content itself. This is not my kind of genre so I will not give any opinions based on the content of the video. Only on the style and concept.

I think you're style is pretty good. the video quality is top notch and your editing skills are really good. Here are my only gripes. The length between scenes/text was a tad bit too long. For example the glass hitting the floor. It was on screen for a tad bit longer than necessary. Remember, the goal is to keep viewers from leaving, to stay watching longer. Making them wait, even for a few seconds, for the next scene can be enough to make them click away. The other example is the content warning at the beginning. It was on screen for 5 seconds. While that seems like a short amount of time, on YouTube that's an eternity to someone who can just click or tap away instantly.

The other thing was the silence in the beginning. I don't know if that's a staple of this kind of content but it was literally 23 seconds before the first sound, of a bird. This goes back to the length between scenes, the goal is to keep people watching. This can contribute, in my opinion, to clicking away because one can take this as the video having sounds issues, like I did.

Now, again, this is just my opinion and should not be considered professional in any way. Just for your consideration. Other than that you got yourself a pretty good concept here. Hope this helps.

Reactions: LibertyLinks
OP
OP
LibertyLinks

LibertyLinks

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
nbgrooms.com
Subscriber Goal
OK, let me start by saying that this is just my opinion and is in no way an opinion on the content itself. This is not my kind of genre so I will not give any opinions based on the content of the video. Only on the style and concept.

I think you're style is pretty good. the video quality is top notch and your editing skills are really good. Here are my only gripes. The length between scenes/text was a tad bit too long. For example the glass hitting the floor. It was on screen for a tad bit longer than necessary. Remember, the goal is to keep viewers from leaving, to stay watching longer. Making them wait, even for a few seconds, for the next scene can be enough to make them click away. The other example is the content warning at the beginning. It was on screen for 5 seconds. While that seems like a short amount of time, on YouTube that's an eternity to someone who can just click or tap away instantly.

The other thing was the silence in the beginning. I don't know if that's a staple of this kind of content but it was literally 23 seconds before the first sound, of a bird. This goes back to the length between scenes, the goal is to keep people watching. This can contribute, in my opinion, to clicking away because one can take this as the video having sounds issues, like I did.

Now, again, this is just my opinion and should not be considered professional in any way. Just for your consideration. Other than that you got yourself a pretty good concept here. Hope this helps.
I appreciate all of what you had to say. I actually agree with the length of some of the scenes. The glass hitting is a prime example. If I were to redo this I'd cut much of the clip out. Also I liked you're advice on the beginning up it cutting out the 23 seconds before the first sound. Editing takes practice and learning from mistakes.

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I appreciate all of what you had to say. I actually agree with the length of some of the scenes. The glass hitting is a prime example. If I were to redo this I'd cut much of the clip out. Also I liked you're advice on the beginning up it cutting out the 23 seconds before the first sound. Editing takes practice and learning from mistakes.

That's the cool thing about making content, you learn as you go and improve on the next video. When I first started making videos I keep applying new editing tricks I learned some most of my first videos you're see all kinds of different things the previous one didn't have. Eventually you'll find that sweet spot that gets those views flowing.

Reactions: LibertyLinks

Chief Eli

TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
First i wanna start by asking what kind of camera you're using? Great quality and concept overall great work.... i like what i just saw.... what city you're living in?

OP
OP
LibertyLinks

LibertyLinks

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
nbgrooms.com
Subscriber Goal
First i wanna start by asking what kind of camera you're using? Great quality and concept overall great work.... i like what i just saw.... what city you're living in?
That's funny. All of this is from Stock footage. I didn't shoot any of it. I think using stock footage like this is a great way to create quality content on a budget. I like using Pexels.com the most.

jawadsoomro

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy User
jawadsoomro1988.wixsite.com
Subscriber Goal
Since you are beginner, I would say Nice try. I think the drone shot in the beginning of the video was a little long. I think the heartbeat sound didn't match with the scene. The girl was doing work on her laptop, so heartbeat sounds? She had a calm and happy face. Suddenly, something happens to her, but it wasn't shown what actually happened to her. Then 20 years leap, some random guy visits some abandoned house? He walks around till he moves out of the frame. I think it wasn't much engaging. Maybe you could have used some B-rolls to show what the guy is actually seeing. What persuaded him to enter this abandoned place? Did he catch anything interesting? Some artifacts? Paranormal encounter? Then we see the text explaining the story. I think it would be better if you had visually explained them rather than the text? Anyways, keep it up. Overall, the video quality in terms of lighting was incredible.

OP
OP
LibertyLinks

LibertyLinks

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
nbgrooms.com
Subscriber Goal
Since you are beginner, I would say Nice try. I think the drone shot in the beginning of the video was a little long. I think the heartbeat sound didn't match with the scene. The girl was doing work on her laptop, so heartbeat sounds? She had a calm and happy face.
I guess when I did it I was depicting someone totally unaware of what was about to happen. The heartbeat sound was sort of preparing the viewer for the climax of the scene. Someone's already told me that the glass falling scene should have been cut, and I agree.
What I'm not good at right now ls sort of leading the viewer along without a lot of explaining text. Hopefully I can improve that as I do more because I agree the less you force people to read on a screen the better. There are some serious flaws in this project that I see myself now that I've discussed it with others on this forum. Also remember I'm not shooting any of this on my own. It's all stock footage.

• Love
Reactions: jawadsoomro

Sparta

I believe the video presentation is awesome, it would been much reviewable if you had sounds and music, ambienceon the background, i can barely hear anything. Specially at the intro, something cinematic, 'thrilling' that catches our attention and goes along with the video scenes, meaning not just one background ambience sound is enough in my opinion, u need more,cus that what makes the 'horror' feeling and the vibe i think. The glass scene is not that bad but it feels and sounds empty, the lightning overall could be also improved cuz it looks kind of 'repetitively' the same contrast with no special effects imo.

Best of luck.

RetroGamerVX

Hi Liberty,

Generally, it feels like it's almost there. I'd say some music on the intro, it was set nicely with the drone establishing shot, but the mood could have been set more with some dark onimous music to let the audience know what to expect. Some of the scenes went on to long so it detracted from the pacing of the movie and I personally would have had more camera angles within each scene to give some dynamic flow. I felt it did not draw any end, unless this is a prelude to another project. I did like the lighting and what acting was involved.

Regards,

Steve

OP
OP
LibertyLinks

LibertyLinks

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
nbgrooms.com
Subscriber Goal
Hi Liberty,

Generally, it feels like it's almost there. I'd say some music on the intro, it was set nicely with the drone establishing shot, but the mood could have been set more with some dark ominous music to let the audience know what to expect.
I've gotten a lot of feedback on this in the weeks since I did it. It was actually my first project I did in a new software, so I've learned a lot more since then. DaVinci Resolve is turning out to be a great software. I'd previously used Premiere on an old computer system.