• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question Short Video vs. Long Video

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
Sorry I can't point to a specific article, I've read so much lately... but I have read it can be considered spamming to upload videos with the same exact title. Maybe just add the shorts hashtag in the title to differentiate it: "My Video Title" vs "My Video Title #shorts".

Anthony Miyazaki

TubeBuddy Pro
YouTube.com
Subscriber Goal
I agree that using the same content and title might be an issue, although I'm convinced that the search engine treats YouTube Shorts differently than other videos. I'm doubtful that I'll ever get to the point of crushing it on the Shorts game, so I'll likely limit mine to chopping a bit out of some of my other videos (which I've done once now). I changed the title though and wouldn't want a bunch of these because the monetization wouldn't be the same as the longer-form ones.

Anthony
(I build brands for people and organizations.)

Aialaden

I would just start being concious when shooting footage. Make a quick summary of the content you are shooting. Use the summary footage as your short and have it point to the long form video.

Then you don't run the risk of using "recycled" footage. Shorts that have been clipped from long form content, in my experience, don't perform as well as something fresh.

Integrate the short into production and you'll see better results.

Reactions: Xavier De Buck

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Pros:
  • Can be more engaging and shareable, as viewers are more likely to watch a shorter video in its entirety.
  • Can be easier to produce, as you may not need as much content or resources to create a short video.
  • Can be more suited to mobile devices, where attention spans are typically shorter.
Cons:
  • May not provide enough detail or depth on a topic, which could lead to viewers feeling unsatisfied or not fully informed.
  • May not be as effective for certain types of content, such as tutorials or instructional videos.
  • May not be as effective for building a loyal audience, as viewers may not feel as invested in a shorter video.
Long videos:
Pros:
  • Can provide more detail and depth on a topic, which can be valuable for certain types of content.
  • Can be better suited to building a loyal audience, as viewers may feel more invested in a longer video and more connected to the creator.
  • Can be effective for tutorials and instructional videos, as they allow for more in-depth explanations and demonstrations.
Cons:
  • May not be as engaging or shareable, as viewers may not have the time or attention span to watch a longer video in its entirety.
  • Can be more challenging to produce, as you may need more content and resources to create a longer video.
  • May not be as suited to mobile devices, where attention spans are typically shorter.

Are you answers coming from ChatGPT or some unsourced article? This doesn't sound like a natural organic response.

Xavier De Buck

Subscriber Goal
Hello, I create short videos from long videos. I am using the same title. Will this reduce the view of the long video?
Have you been able to do some tests with those titles? Any feedback?

I am purposely NOT using the same titles for the long vs short videos. It's a matter of trying to come up with short catchy & interesting phrases as the attention time span is very short...

Reactions: MattCommand1

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I am purposely NOT using the same titles for the long vs short videos. It's a matter of trying to come up with short catchy & interesting phrases as the attention time span is very short...

I am not too keen into using IDENTICAL titles for 2 similar videos although most viewers might not even notice. And you are so right on the attention span being very short. Painfully short.

Reactions: Xavier De Buck

Xavier De Buck

Subscriber Goal
I am not too keen into using IDENTICAL titles for 2 similar videos although most viewers might not even notice. And you are so right on the attention span being very short. Painfully short.
Which is where <cough cough> ChatGPT has helped me out tremendously to come up with variations on my couple of titles and see how those shorts videos perform!

Reactions: MediaMan

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Which is where <cough cough> ChatGPT has helped me out tremendously to come up with variations on my couple of titles and see how those shorts videos perform!

Hey, I am not against ChatGPT as a tool. I think it is fabulous but what we are seeing now is a disturbing trend of people allowing AI doing a total impersonation of themselves. But ghostwriting has been around a long time. Perhaps more and more people will be using AI ghostwriters.

But anyone that come into my circle can pretty much be assured I don't use ghostwriting of any kind but I may draw inspirations and ideas from other sources including AI.

Xavier De Buck

Subscriber Goal
Hey, I am not against ChatGPT as a tool. I think it is fabulous but what we are seeing now is a disturbing trend of people allowing AI doing a total impersonation of themselves. But ghostwriting has been around a long time. Perhaps more and more people will be using AI ghostwriters.

But anyone that come into my circle can pretty much be assured I don't use ghostwriting of any kind but I may draw inspirations and ideas from other sources including AI.
And given this will rock Google's boat BIG TIME, it's also just a matter of time before there will be "anti-ChatGPT" apps or bots out who will detect AI written content and Google will heavily punish those sites which have used that tech to "take a shortcut".

Reactions: kenjackson