• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Answered When is the best time to use A/B testing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubblegummonsters

Loving the fact the Tubebuddy now has AI suggestions but it got me thinking. When is the best time to start using the A/B testing. If I use it straight away won't it affect the performance of my video, as in how will I know how well my video would have 'bedded' if I'm changing the title, description and thumbnail constantly for say the first thirty days? Is there a best practice on when and where to use this tool?

Thanks in advance.

Peter

Reactions: stuart6359

Nody | Team TB

Administrator
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
The best time, as per my knowledge and my own experience would be to use this feature in your first 24-48 hours post publishing your content. The main objective of this very feature is to help you to determine whether or not your current metadata or thumbnail is helping you in boosting the overall performance of your video or content. It helps you to understand how overall your content is doing and helps you in the decision-making process whether you need to work on your Title or your Thumbnail to make the analytics look better.

Of course, you will see a bit here and there in your video performance but in end, it will give you the results you're looking for. There will be moments when you might notice that your CTR or overall video impressions or reach has been reduced when there's A test going on and as compared to B, you might see a bit fall in your views but that's what the A/B testing stands for, to compare the results and to help determine which results you should move forward with.

The reason I'm suggesting that it's best to do such A/B testing post 24 hours is that, when you post a video, it takes the first 3 hours to overall show you the entire performance of the video including the CTR, AVD and number of views and I personally, let the video stay for at least 24 hours to see how well it's doing before trying out the tests to find out what could be improved.
---

In regards to how long you should run such a test, I'd say the first 14-28 days is enough to get an idea what are the things you should go ahead with, average video performance and its future is determined by how well the video did it in its first 3 days performance as YouTube will mark "video" as "New" tag and will try to push the video to a wider audience as much as possible, and in such 72 hours, YouTube will check how your audience is reacting to your video, what's your average watch duration, how're people responding to the impressions of your video on their home page or search results and everything. So for the start, you can go ahead with 14 days of A/B testing, which will give you great comparison results on which test did great and which didn't, accordingly, you can determine or decide, which thumbnail or metadata you should be using for your video.

In the end, it's still a personal preference, If you're a legend user then make sure you play with the A/B testing tool as much as you can so you can experience different results and experiment with it, such experiences will help you to determine different theories and you can use such knowledge for your upcoming video testings. You wouldn't know until you have tried it so let's give it a try and see!

Reactions: Bubblegummonsters

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
I don't know about a best practice because the truth is a feature like this works based on how each user uses it. In other words, not everyone uses it the same way. So in essence it's a matter of you experimenting to find out.

The idea behind this feature is to help you figure out what are good types of titles and thumbnails, not necessarily for every video but on average. There's always the possibility it will affect a video's performance but that's literally the point of the feature, to test what works and what doesn't for your audience.

Hope this helps.

Nody | Team TB

Administrator
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
The best time, as per my knowledge and my own experience would be to use this feature in your first 24-48 hours post publishing your content. The main objective of this very feature is to help you to determine whether or not your current metadata or thumbnail is helping you in boosting the overall performance of your video or content. It helps you to understand how overall your content is doing and helps you in the decision-making process whether you need to work on your Title or your Thumbnail to make the analytics look better.

Of course, you will see a bit here and there in your video performance but in end, it will give you the results you're looking for. There will be moments when you might notice that your CTR or overall video impressions or reach has been reduced when there's A test going on and as compared to B, you might see a bit fall in your views but that's what the A/B testing stands for, to compare the results and to help determine which results you should move forward with.

The reason I'm suggesting that it's best to do such A/B testing post 24 hours is that, when you post a video, it takes the first 3 hours to overall show you the entire performance of the video including the CTR, AVD and number of views and I personally, let the video stay for at least 24 hours to see how well it's doing before trying out the tests to find out what could be improved.
---

In regards to how long you should run such a test, I'd say the first 14-28 days is enough to get an idea what are the things you should go ahead with, average video performance and its future is determined by how well the video did it in its first 3 days performance as YouTube will mark "video" as "New" tag and will try to push the video to a wider audience as much as possible, and in such 72 hours, YouTube will check how your audience is reacting to your video, what's your average watch duration, how're people responding to the impressions of your video on their home page or search results and everything. So for the start, you can go ahead with 14 days of A/B testing, which will give you great comparison results on which test did great and which didn't, accordingly, you can determine or decide, which thumbnail or metadata you should be using for your video.

In the end, it's still a personal preference, If you're a legend user then make sure you play with the A/B testing tool as much as you can so you can experience different results and experiment with it, such experiences will help you to determine different theories and you can use such knowledge for your upcoming video testings. You wouldn't know until you have tried it so let's give it a try and see!

Reactions: Bubblegummonsters

foweww

Discover the exact process professionals use to increase their conversion rate in this comprehensive A/B Testing tutorial, along with frequent pitfalls.
tunnel rush

Status
Not open for further replies.