• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Opinion Demonetized - thanks to few of my old short videos

KS Moto Cafe

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
linktr.ee
Subscriber Goal
Hey all,

As a quick background, my channel has been monetized since August 2021 and I have been creating long form videos since the beginning with zero strikes. As of last week, YouTube sent me an email and a notification to YT Creator App stating that my channel will no longer be monetized due to "reused content" policy. When I read this, I scratched my head thinking, "How did I violate the reused content?? I followed the YT content creator policy to the tee!". Well turns out I didn't.. not under the optics of 2022 Policy.

Here is what I found. The issue was not with any of my long form, monetized, videos - it was with my short videos. About 8-10 months ago, YT was pushing hard for content creators to produce more short videos because they wanted to steal viewers from TikTok and Instagram; they even allowed creators to "reuse other creator's work" (for shorts only) by creating a +short button on each video on YT. At the time, none of the short videos were monetized (probably because of the massive music copyright issues) and it was really unclear what was allowed and not allowed for shorts. So I decided to do some experiments by uploading some motorcycle accident videos that I found on Reddit and Instagram, I dubbed them with music from YT and an overlay text describing the video. As expected, these short videos massed only few hundred, maybe a thousand views within the first week, and then just nosedived to nothing. So I said "meh" to shorts and continued building my long form content.

Fast forward to 3 weeks ago, these short videos some how started to pick up steam and started skyrocketing to 100k to 1M views within few days. It was a nice surprise but I didn't pay too much attention to it because I wasn't getting paid from these videos. So I just continued with my long form content because I lost the motivation to spend time on short videos long time ago.

Then one morning... the email arrives and my heart sank as I read the words over and over again. I thought I screwed up huge. But when I read the new 2022 "reused content policy", the first item in the "DONT" column was "Don't use short videos from other social media websites". I said, BINGO - YT must have picked up my short videos that were becoming viral and realized that it was snipped from Reddit. And I was right. I was given two options - dispute the claim if you think YT made mistake; or delete/edit the videos and reapply for monetization. Because I clearly knew that I was in the wrong (based on new policies), I didn't have much to dispute and therefore, I chose with option 2 and deleted my 7x short videos. Now I am just waiting until the 30day period is over to reapply for monetization.

What I took away from this experience:
- always review and update your channel's repository after a new policy from YT is released
- don't upload short videos that are repeated in any other social media websites (reddit, instagram, tiktok, fb)
- continue to have a plan to stay afloat (financially) without YT

In the end, I am kind of glad that it forces me to take a month break but it upsets me that YT will treat creators this way. It would have been nicer if they gave me a nudge to warn me that some of my already non-monetized short videos were flagged in violation of YT reused content policy rather than just putting me in the dumpster while YT still gains profit from my long form videos.

Anyways - hope this helps some of you out there that experimented with shorts and don't end up where I am at.

Cheers

KSMC

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Man this is super valuable insight sir. I am really sorry to hear you had to deal with that but I can promise you I will be referring to this article for years on end. I see issues like this all the time and I am constantly warning creators about stuff like this; your documentation of this case makes the perfect reference. THANK YOU!!!

sjs94704

Familiar Member
I am a new YouTube creator and honestly in my case have no plans to monetize, but that can always change and this is great first-hand experience to learn from. Takes lots of courage to share about this with others!

Reactions: KS Moto Cafe

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
" So I decided to do some experiments by uploading some motorcycle accident videos that I found on Reddit and Instagram "

You have a fantastic channel, why risk it with non original content? Regardless any benefit, I don't understand why you thought of doing this in the first place? At the least you should have created a secondary related channel and tried the experiment there. But yah, thanks for posting the info, it will hopefully help others thinking about the same risk reward.

Reactions: KS Moto Cafe
OP
OP
KS Moto Cafe

KS Moto Cafe

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
linktr.ee
Subscriber Goal
You have a fantastic channel, why risk it with non original content? Regardless any benefit, I don't understand why you thought of doing this in the first place?

Because I am a risk taker and sometimes it pays off and sometimes I have to learn from it. At the time, shorts were such a new thing that trial and error was encouraged by YT. I'm not sweating over it because I have more than enough clean content watch hours to be re-monetized. I just couldn't understand how a non-monetized short video affected my monetized content. It is easy to criticize my decision from a bystander point of view but in the end, if you want to succeed in YT, you have to sometimes do bold moves.

Reactions: MediaMan

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Because I am a risk taker and sometimes it pays off and sometimes I have to learn from it. At the time, shorts were such a new thing that trial and error was encouraged by YT. I'm not sweating over it because I have more than enough clean content watch hours to be re-monetized. I just couldn't understand how a non-monetized short video affected my monetized content. It is easy to criticize my decision from a bystander point of view but in the end, if you want to succeed in YT, you have to sometimes do bold moves.

Thanks for sharing your story. Always good to hear from actual cases.

I respect your choice to be a strategic risk taker. It resonates with me. I have become a bit bolder as time passes based on the premise that sometimes the only way you can find out or discover something new is to try new things and take risks. I cannot resist breaking with a few norms and trying new things out.

YT is a place where a couple of right changes and suddenly you leapfrog to another level very quickly. It happens almost everyday where small accounts explode seemingly out of nowhere.

I love what YT provides and I intend to stick around for a long while, if possible. However, if and when I get to a certain point, I definitely agree with you and intend to build out OUTSIDE YouTube. I am not going to put my entire business livelihood on YouTube (or any single platform for that matter).

In regards to your extreme penalty, it does seem disproportionate. But I think you are being caught up with YT having to deal with a wave of content thieves who routinely upload material from others. They routinely brag about it and justify it, no less!

It is not an isolated thing. It is actually quite rampant and I think YT is trying to send a message to these repeat, egregious offenders to stop that nonsense.

I am quite confident you will be reinstated and you hit 10K subscribers in 2023 at the pace you are going!

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
I definitely agree with you and intend to build out OUTSIDE YouTube. I am not going to put my entire business livelihood on YouTube (or any single platform for that matter).

I'm banking everything on YouTube / Google. And I know at least in my lifetime, they aren't going away anytime soon. Google could easily under the radar, limit ads from competing networks at any time. It still surprises me how many TikTok ads I see on YouTube. Strange I never see Instagram or Facebook ads on YouTube. hmm....

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I'm banking everything on YouTube / Google. And I know at least in my lifetime, they aren't going away anytime soon. Google could easily under the radar, limit ads from competing networks at any time. It still surprises me how many TikTok ads I see on YouTube. Strange I never see Instagram or Facebook ads on YouTube. hmm....

I think you might have missed the point of WHY people might want to consider having other "outposts" besides YT. KS just got done telling everyone that one minor infraction caused him to demonetize a whole month. If that was his sole income, that is one month's of income. What if there is another obscure rule (or some hacker) that inadvertently causes an account to be non-compliant and then you get shut down permanently? Hackers do break into accounts and maliciously wipe away or take over accounts. Statistically rare unless YOU are the victim. Suddenly, it is 100% when you get hit.

No one is saying that Google/YT is going away. That isn't the issue or concern. But people have lost their accounts whether it is on YT, FB, TT, IG, etc. I know another YTuber who had a significant FB discussion group to train other beginners but FB wiped away her personal FB account stranding her from her own FB group. It created a great deal of trauma for her. It was only by virtue that she had another administrator in the group who was still on FB that was able to salvage and ultimately transition the thousands of users to another platform.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KS Moto Cafe

KS Moto Cafe

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
linktr.ee
Subscriber Goal
For those who were following, I was re-monetized as soon as I was able to reapply for monetization last week. This was after I deleted all my short videos that potentially had "reuse content" conflicts with other social media sites such as Instagram and Reddit. It took less than 12hrs for YT to approve my application. I recently read that there will be a new wave of policies coming soon, so be sure to have a keen eye out on whether or not your current and future videos follow the new policies before it is too late. Cheers

cubeytcl

don't upload short videos that are repeated in any other social media websites (reddit, instagram, tiktok, fb)

what about I own those instagram and tiktok accounts??
I normally upload my original shorts onto ig,tiktok and yt .
what if Youtube thinks that i am "reusing"?? but i m the owner tho??

• Wow
Reactions: Damon

jawadsoomro

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy User
jawadsoomro1988.wixsite.com
Subscriber Goal
This is crazy. YouTube changes its policies every year. They should at least not treat creators like this. I mean if they change policy, they should go like "From now on, no more reused contents", I mean whatever happened before, its safe. But avoid those contents in future. YouTube is being too hard on creators sometimes. I hope in future, YouTube learns that creators should be valued too.

OP
OP
KS Moto Cafe

KS Moto Cafe

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
linktr.ee
Subscriber Goal
don't upload short videos that are repeated in any other social media websites (reddit, instagram, tiktok, fb)

Once you upload a video to IG or TikTok or Youtube, is it actually yours or did you waive that right to own 100% of it when you decided to upload it to their servers/websites? Essentially think of TikTok and YouTube as Fox and Disney - unless the two companies had a contractual agreement to share the royalties from the same movie/film, there will be a legal battle at the end of the line on who should own the rights to the film - regardless of who the director/producer/actor are (IF it is worth the cost to go to court with). As small time creators, we are not worth the legal battles to these companies so they let us play in the grey zone until your videos hit 1M views or create a lot of attention. That is when the moderators of YouTube come over and backhand your channel. So even if you created the video, it doesn't really matter to them, they only care about "will we get sued for copyrights? and by how much?". So until this clears up, I would create separate videos for IG/TikTok/YT to be on safer side.

• Love

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member

Good question. I don't know, but at the least don't upload ones with any branding from other sites on it. And a simple trim, new edit, etc, might be all you need. Maybe add an emoji, sticker, etc, to the new video, something to make it not just a duplicate.

cubeytcl

I upload shorts with me playing guitar, i add some filter when i upload on IG etc, but not sure if that helps .
but it would be funny if they thinkvi am "reusing" i bacially have my face on every one of the videos.