• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

Video Review Please review my true horror tales video , thank you.

on a dark night

www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal

DevilByTheTale

TubeBuddy Legend
Subscriber Goal
This sort of thing can be up my alley, and you can be really onto something with this. Here are some things that I pointed out for some honest feedback.
  • Narrator voice seems a bit distorted, leaves odd gaps, and pans at times. Sounds like you are using a voice generator, so you can either go and edit it for better placement or just do the voiceover yourself. This will help it give better personality.
  • Intro time for the text is too short. Had to go back and pause to re-read it.
  • The one frame of the vampire constantly popping up just seems cheesy. If you want horror and mystery, then get rid of things like that. Create the atmosphere with better imagery and storytelling.
  • If you have two stories, make two separate videos.
  • The first story seemed like a lot of stories crammed into one. Seems like this needs to be longer to better explain and connect it all together.
  • Watch some videos from Buzzfeed Unsolved, since what they did is directly related to what you're doing. They can be overly silly at times, but the episodes are generally written pretty well. One aspect I liked is that work on coming up with theories on why these mysteries happened.
I had thought of doing something like this if I had the time, so I hope that you can continue this path if it your passion. Would look forward to seeing more. :)

OP
OP
on a dark night

on a dark night

www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
Thank you Chief Eli
I appreciate the positive feedback and it's pleasing to read that you enjoyed it.
I'm glad I creeped you out (or at least the video did!)
The vid is actually an old one too just with updated narration so it's good to know you still enjoyed as the aesthetics on the newer vids are better and I was concerned the old ones would not appeal so cheers for that.
I do have another spider story that I'm working on too for a future video and the story is truly horrific and of course true.
I sadly have a fear of spiders , I'd rather face a lion and that house of spiders wouldve been burnt down with a flamethrower if I lived there .

• Haha
Reactions: Chief Eli
OP
OP
on a dark night

on a dark night

www.youtube.com
Subscriber Goal
This sort of thing can be up my alley, and you can be really onto something with this. Here are some things that I pointed out for some honest feedback.
  • Narrator voice seems a bit distorted, leaves odd gaps, and pans at times. Sounds like you are using a voice generator, so you can either go and edit it for better placement or just do the voiceover yourself. This will help it give better personality.
  • Intro time for the text is too short. Had to go back and pause to re-read it.
  • The one frame of the vampire constantly popping up just seems cheesy. If you want horror and mystery, then get rid of things like that. Create the atmosphere with better imagery and storytelling.
  • If you have two stories, make two separate videos.
  • The first story seemed like a lot of stories crammed into one. Seems like this needs to be longer to better explain and connect it all together.
  • Watch some videos from Buzzfeed Unsolved, since what they did is directly related to what you're doing. They can be overly silly at times, but the episodes are generally written pretty well. One aspect I liked is that work on coming up with theories on why these mysteries happened.
I had thought of doing something like this if I had the time, so I hope that you can continue this path if it your passion. Would look forward to seeing more. :)

Thank you for your honest feedback. I appreciate it all when its also constructive like yours as it helps.

In regards to the image of the 'vampire' image appearing that was just a little playful nod to the film the Excorcist where the same image appears quickly to implant it into your subconscious so I popped it in because the story was connected to demonic activity.

I've seen a couple of Buzzfeed i think.
I think coming up with theories as to how and why certain things happened is interesting but sometimes I think a little mystery can also enhance a creepy story.
It is I suppose a divisive preference.

The text at the beginning is quick (around 2secs ) so maybe I could up it a second or two .
I was just a bit wary of making it too long as I've seen a lot of advice stating keep intros short so shaving a few seconds off here and there may count significantly but it is something I will take into consideration.

I must admit the vid is an older vid with new narration as I was not happy with the old narration so thought I'd re-upload the old ones again.
I've since made better looking videos which will hopefully be uploaded over the coming weeks.

I'm wise enough (not that wise mind you ) to know I dont have the best speaking voice and it doesnt work with these sort of videos I think so I decided to use the other narrator.
I know it wont be for everyone but I've also had great feedback(only a little mind you) about the voice so I think I'll stick with it for the time being as I feel I may please some people and displease others regardless.

In regards to doing each story as seperate videos I'm not sure that would quite work as the vids vary in length , they don't as yet exceed 20mins although some come close (ones not made public yet ) and some only come to around 10mins .
Some of the videos would be incredibly short if all the stories were separated.
I'm hoping people will appreciate some of the vids having 2 or more different stories in them , some are themed and some are not .
This is something I will keep an eye on though.

Thank you once again for taking time out to review the vid .

Reactions: DevilByTheTale

DevilByTheTale

TubeBuddy Legend
Subscriber Goal
Thank you for your honest feedback. I appreciate it all when its also constructive like yours as it helps.

In regards to the image of the 'vampire' image appearing that was just a little playful nod to the film the Excorcist where the same image appears quickly to implant it into your subconscious so I popped it in because the story was connected to demonic activity.

I've seen a couple of Buzzfeed i think.
I think coming up with theories as to how and why certain things happened is interesting but sometimes I think a little mystery can also enhance a creepy story.
It is I suppose a divisive preference.

The text at the beginning is quick (around 2secs ) so maybe I could up it a second or two .
I was just a bit wary of making it too long as I've seen a lot of advice stating keep intros short so shaving a few seconds off here and there may count significantly but it is something I will take into consideration.

I must admit the vid is an older vid with new narration as I was not happy with the old narration so thought I'd re-upload the old ones again.
I've since made better looking videos which will hopefully be uploaded over the coming weeks.

I'm wise enough (not that wise mind you ) to know I dont have the best speaking voice and it doesnt work with these sort of videos I think so I decided to use the other narrator.
I know it wont be for everyone but I've also had great feedback(only a little mind you) about the voice so I think I'll stick with it for the time being as I feel I may please some people and displease others regardless.

In regards to doing each story as seperate videos I'm not sure that would quite work as the vids vary in length , they don't as yet exceed 20mins although some come close (ones not made public yet ) and some only come to around 10mins .
Some of the videos would be incredibly short if all the stories were separated.
I'm hoping people will appreciate some of the vids having 2 or more different stories in them , some are themed and some are not .
This is something I will keep an eye on though.

Thank you once again for taking time out to review the vid .
Not liking your own voice is something everyone experiences. ItΓÇÖs something you would just have to get used to. I hated my voice when I started my first channel, but I had no choice. Over time I just accepted it, but also worked on how to deliver it. I thought of how I would be talking when helping friends (because a lot of it was tutorials), and how presenters I liked talked when I needed to present.

Half of the art is knowing how to record and edit. When I first started out, I was on camera and did everything in one take because I thought it was easier. This wasn’t the case because mistakes happen all the time, and you might forget something. Enter scripting and voiceover… Once I figured that out it opened the possibility to make the videos tighter, more engaging, and thorough (from taking the time to script). Learning what worked for me, I just kept the recording going and when a mistake happened or there was a take I thought could be better, I just paused myself and did it again. I knew from editing that I could just cut out what I didn’t like.

The downside to this versus your approach is that it takes a whole lot more time. Even in the videos I am doing now (which are usually 5 minutes or less), it takes hours just to do the audio. I can script and VO fairly quick, but the editing is a time vampire. The upside is that it makes your videos tighter and better overall. You not only know what to say (obviously because you already know how to script), but how to say it. The inflections and delivery are what sell speech. The most important thing is that doing your own voice makes it unique. And once you get good at doing that, you can even explore doing different voices. ThatΓÇÖs what I did, and is the core of my new channel. IΓÇÖm doing two voices, neither of which are my natural voice.

If youΓÇÖre still set on not doing the voice yourself, have you considered asking a friend or hiring someone on Fiverr to do it? I just really think having a natural voice will help take your videos to the next level. IΓÇÖll refer back to Buzzfeed Unsolved because aside from the silly moments, the monologues are actually quite solid. Also, that show may give you ideas of other subjects to cover.