• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Question 72% drop in earnings over last month with same stats across the board. Why?

Nothin' But Gadgets

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Pro
So I was just looking at my Analytics, and my heart sank. My earnings have plummeted to a quarter of what I earned last month, while everything else on my channel remained the same. What could have caused such a massive loss in earnings? Has anyone else had this happen to them recently?

1666363198483.png

Tito Tim

DecoratedPoster
TubeBuddy Star
titotim.com
Have you checked the geographic source of your views? As an American expat in the Philippines, my views are mostly split between the 2 countries. Usually I have more American views, sometimes a video is more popular in the Philippines. Nothing against the Philippines... but their ads pay far less!

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
It's common to ride the roller coaster when it comes to ad revenue due to fluctuating cpm. Like Tim said, your viewing audience might be from a demographic experiencing a hopefully temporary low cpm.

Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Entirely possible this is seasonal. Advertisers have ever-changing budget priorities. If your channel is pulling a lot of advertisers who target back to school or end of summer sales then you would have received a bump in those months only to find that these advertisers have now depleted their budgets. On the bright side you should see an uptick in CPM's and overall revenue from November-December as advertisers dump their last remaining budgets on the holiday season... of course they will be tightening their belt once January roles around.

Reactions: Nothin' But Gadgets
OP
OP
Nothin' But Gadgets

Nothin' But Gadgets

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Pro
Entirely possible this is seasonal. Advertisers have ever-changing budget priorities. If your channel is pulling a lot of advertisers who target back to school or end of summer sales then you would have received a bump in those months only to find that these advertisers have now depleted their budgets. On the bright side you should see an uptick in CPM's and overall revenue from November-December as advertisers dump their last remaining budgets on the holiday season... of course they will be tightening their belt once January roles around.

I actually do not target anything school related. My channel is pure tech reviews. Things like game cameras, security cameras, portable car boosters,

1666667286647.png

Normally this is one of my best times of the year. I have seen ups and downs like everyone else, but a 72% drop from September to October with all other stats remaining the same.........? I have never seen anything even remotely close to that. If nobody else saw anything similar, than it is just my channel. I was just wondering if anyone else was seeing big drops.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I actually do not target anything school related. My channel is pure tech reviews. Things like game cameras, security cameras, portable car boosters,

Yeah... but people who go to school don't only watch school related videos. Think about the actual person who is viewing your content. You do tech stuff; stands to reason that you would have viewers who are in school and guess what happens when they go back? You get less views.

Reactions: Nothin' But Gadgets
OP
OP
Nothin' But Gadgets

Nothin' But Gadgets

Recognized Member
TubeBuddy Pro
This may or may not be relevant but there is a general overall pullback of YT ad revenue recently.

Thanks for the link. I read it, and two things stood out to me. These statements here"

"A pullback in ad spending cramped YouTubeΓÇÖs revenue for the third quarter of 2022, with GoogleΓÇÖs video platform notching $7.07 billion in ad sales ΓÇö a decline of 1.9%, falling well short of Wall Street forecasts and representing its first year-over-year drop in at least two years."
"On the earnings call, CFO Ruth Porat said the ad revenue slowdown for YouTube and Google Search ΓÇ£reflects a pullback in spend by some advertisers, as we first noted last quarter.
ΓÇ¥

and this statement here:

" In June, Google said YouTube Shorts had topped 1.5 billion monthly logged-in users. After tests earlier in the year, YouTube in September began running ads in Shorts."

So, YT reports dramatically lower revenue than expected as a result of advertisers pulling their ads, and this just coincidentally happens during the same period when YT starts showing ads on Shorts. Hmmm....? Seems like some advertisers are not thrilled about their ad dollars going to waste on Shorts. And then there is this.

"YouTube will pay out 45% of revenue to Shorts creators"

YT is basically cutting the bread butter creators that built YT into what is off at the knees in their mad dash to dump truckloads of the money we are making on to Shorts creators.

Reactions: Damon