• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Opinion First 100 Videos: What's more important views or subs?

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
I'm past the halfway point to 100 videos and while my overall views are acceptable my sub count is low. I'm curious what everyone thinks is more important during those first 100 videos; views or subs?

Also, how many views and view hours do you think is average at the 100 video mark?

Thanks for any comments.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I'm past the halfway point to 100 videos and while my overall views are acceptable my sub count is low. I'm curious what everyone thinks is more important during those first 100 videos; views or subs?

Also, how many views and view hours do you think is average at the 100 video mark?

Watch time is most important, not just raw views. You can get a ton of empty views by pumping out shorts (which is what a lot of younger creators do). But they eventually realize that those shorts subscribers and empty views don't suddenly convert to watching long-form which is the core of earning the 4,000 watch hours to enter YPP.

If it means anything, my subscribers lagged for a LONG time. But I scored lots of watch hours which allowed me to getting into YPP eventually

Views without watch-hours earned is a tough road to hoe IMHO.

Last edited:

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
Yeah I agree with Matt... aim for watch time and CTR. Views/Subs will come and are secondary in value. You get good retention/AVD and CTR on your videos you will inherently get views and subscribers. But views/subscribers do not inherently bring video performance, which is highly predicated on watch time.

OP
OP
M

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
Thank you for the comments. I'd like a reasonable guestimate answer to these questions....if it's even possible. lol..
How many watch hours would be average for 50 videos? How many watch hours would be average for 100 videos? Thx.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Thank you for the comments. I'd like a reasonable guestimate answer to these questions....if it's even possible. lol..
How many watch hours would be average for 50 videos? How many watch hours would be average for 100 videos? Thx.

That is way too broad a question and will vary tremendously. No telling what those 50 videos are, what length, longform vs. shorts, topic, talent, virality, etc. So many factors.

However, I think TB published stats that the average number of videos to get 1,000 subscribers is around 152 videos? But a lot of people do better than that.

Reactions: MediaMan
OP
OP
M

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
So now with 69 videos (several videos prepared before launching) I'm up to almost 100 watch hours in just over my first month. My sub count is abysmal, maybe 3-5 a week. Based on research my channel's focus is a bit broad which can result in slower sub count growth. I'm about to launch my 2nd channel which will have much less content due to being harder to produce, but will be very focused on 1 subject, so it will be an interesting comparison between the 2 and perhaps I'll learn things that I can apply to both channels to help them grow. hmm....

KS Moto Cafe

Known Member
TubeBuddy Pro
linktr.ee
Subscriber Goal
I'm about to launch my 2nd channel which will have much less content due to being harder to produce, but will be very focused on 1 subject, so it will be an interesting comparison between the 2 and perhaps I'll learn things that I can apply to both channels to help them grow. hmm....

Wow you are already trying to juggle two channels? I would concentrate on improving your first channel so that you understand the lessons of building up viewing hours and subscribers. Are majority of your videos all shorts or long form? 69 videos uploaded under a month is crazy - that is more than 2 videos/day. That is close to spam territory as a viewer/subscriber. How long are you spending to come up with an idea, film, and edit per video??

All I can say without knowing the details of your channel is that, "quality" matters to viewers. And as Mr Beast said in his interviews, 1 good quality video with a great idea will always perform better than 10 OK videos with OK ideas combined. Maybe try consolidating to one video a week to drop your tempo a bit. Or just keep doing what you are doing and hope that few will go viral.

OP
OP
M

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
Wow you are already trying to juggle two channels? I would concentrate on improving your first channel so that you understand the lessons of building up viewing hours and subscribers. Are majority of your videos all shorts or long form? 69 videos uploaded under a month is crazy - that is more than 2 videos/day. That is close to spam territory as a viewer/subscriber. How long are you spending to come up with an idea, film, and edit per video??

Thx for the comments. I've been planning this for a long time, and I'm working full time on my channels. My "content days" are basically 12+ hour days with 2 videos finished. I'm currently at 50 long, and 26 shorts. I'm slowing down production on this channel and my goal moving forward is 1-2 per week. My goal for the other more focused channel is 1 long a week and shorts whenever possible.

"That is close to spam territory as a viewer/subscriber."
As long as every video is different, I don't see any red flags based on frequency of uploads. If there is something I'm missing, I'd love to learn more. Thx.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Thx for the comments. I've been planning this for a long time, and I'm working full time on my channels. My "content days" are basically 12+ hour days with 2 videos finished. I'm currently at 50 long, and 26 shorts. I'm slowing down production on this channel and my goal moving forward is 1-2 per week. My goal for the other more focused channel is 1 long a week and shorts whenever possible.

"That is close to spam territory as a viewer/subscriber."
As long as every video is different, I don't see any red flags based on frequency of uploads. If there is something I'm missing, I'd love to learn more. Thx.

Wow, you are grinding hard. If you are doing decent long-form videos, I would not consider that spamming. However, there are Shorts "creators" who make some very bad, low-quality videos who upload multiple times per day in a desperate attempt to gain views and subscribers.

It certainly sounds like you are at some risk of burnout if you aren't careful. But I do respect that you want to ramp up quickly. But as many people say, it is a marathon, not a sprint. There has to be stamina to carry you over a long period of time.

Reactions: TGH and MediaMan

expertinweb

It's important to focus on both views and subscribers when you're starting out on YouTube, as they can both help your channel grow. However, the specific importance of views versus subscribers will depend on your goals for your channel. Here are a few things to consider:

1. If your main goal is to make money from YouTube through ads and sponsorships, then views are more important in the short term. Advertisers are more likely to pay you based on the number of views your videos get, so the more views you have, the more money you can potentially make.
  2. If your goal is to build a long-term, sustainable channel that will continue to grow and bring in an audience over time, then subscribers are more important. Subscribers are more likely to watch and engage with your content consistently, which can help you build a loyal audience.

Ultimately, the best approach is to focus on both views and subscribers, as they can both help your channel grow. By creating high-quality content that resonates with your audience and promoting your videos effectively, you can attract both views and subscribers and build a successful channel.

Reactions: Lindam

jawadsoomro

Distinguished Poster
TubeBuddy User
jawadsoomro1988.wixsite.com
Subscriber Goal
Whenever I check a small channel, I usually check for their views rather than subscribers. Because if they have one or two most watched videos, that makes me curious to analyze the type of engaging elements in the video. I would prefer Views to get famous and subscribers to make a community that watches me again and again.

Reactions: Xavier De Buck

Lindam

Subscriber Goal
Yeah I agree with Matt... aim for watch time and CTR. Views/Subs will come and are secondary in value. You get good retention/AVD and CTR on your videos you will inherently get views and subscribers. But views/subscribers do not inherently bring video performance, which is highly predicated on watch time.
thank you, great advice

Xavier De Buck

Subscriber Goal
Whenever I check a small channel, I usually check for their views rather than subscribers. Because if they have one or two most watched videos, that makes me curious to analyze the type of engaging elements in the video. I would prefer Views to get famous and subscribers to make a community that watches me again and again.
Agree with you there!

Personally, I focus on changes in my views as I think to get the most info out of those vs looking at just subscriber changes from day-to-day, or week-to-week.

I have my year-end subscriber goal in mind but I don't check it every day, as I can't distill any practical info from that number today vs yesterday.

If I post something nicer, it'll reflect in views; and likewise with a lesser video, which means I can look into what caught their attention, what can I do similarly/different with the next video etc. And whatever subs come from it, so be it (those might come from something posted a while ago and only come on board now, which is tough to chase what caused them to start following you).

Lindam

Subscriber Goal
It's important to focus on both views and subscribers when you're starting out on YouTube, as they can both help your channel grow. However, the specific importance of views versus subscribers will depend on your goals for your channel. Here are a few things to consider:

1. If your main goal is to make money from YouTube through ads and sponsorships, then views are more important in the short term. Advertisers are more likely to pay you based on the number of views your videos get, so the more views you have, the more money you can potentially make.
  2. If your goal is to build a long-term, sustainable channel that will continue to grow and bring in an audience over time, then subscribers are more important. Subscribers are more likely to watch and engage with your content consistently, which can help you build a loyal audience.

Ultimately, the best approach is to focus on both views and subscribers, as they can both help your channel grow. By creating high-quality content that resonates with your audience and promoting your videos effectively, you can attract both views and subscribers and build a successful channel.
That's so encouraging. My subscribers are slow at 147, however I'm getting a steady number of views, particularly on a few of my videos. Thank you

Reactions: Xavier De Buck