• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube Help Return viewers showing zero

White Noise Zebra

Hi, I have been getting return viewers as evidenced by people contacting me outside of YouTube after watching some of my videos or commenting on my videos, but YouTube analytics shows zero return viewers.
My channel is relatively new so could there just be a lag on the return viewers count?

OP
OP
White Noise Zebra

White Noise Zebra

I wondered that myself so I did some research. It looks like if people view a video for less than 30 seconds it doesn't count as a view. I have friends in RL that subscribed so maybe there just not really watching. I installed TubeBuddy to Chrome and have been experimenting with the keyword tool, so I am hoping to get people who are actually going to watch my videos onto the channel. It's damn frustrating.

Edit: I just realized that one probable reason my view count sucks is because I have some super long videos with long watch hours logged. Thus there's little binge-watching. For example this one is 3 hours long:

Last edited by a moderator:

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
I've been researching Youtube probably 10-15 hours a day the past month or so and other than channels that don't mind showing skin or making an a$$ out of themselves, 840 subs in less than a month is extremely rare.

Your views are typical for a new channel, but your sub count is far from typical. Quite frankly, I wouldn't even worry about anything for a while and just continue to do whatever it is you're doing and ride this subcount wave as long as possible. Congrats!!

Just when you think you're starting to understand YouTube. lol.. :p

Reactions: White Noise Zebra
OP
OP
White Noise Zebra

White Noise Zebra

I've been researching Youtube probably 10-15 hours a day the past month or so and other than channels that don't mind showing skin or making an a$$ out of themselves, 840 subs in less than a month is extremely rare.

Your views are typical for a new channel, but your sub count is far from typical. Quite frankly, I wouldn't even worry about anything for a while and just continue to do whatever it is you're doing and ride this subcount wave as long as possible. Congrats!!

Just when you think you're starting to understand YouTube. lol.. :p

Thank you for the encouragement! Sounds good to me. Here's to more views and maybe some more sleep! (I was up till 5am uploading last night.)

Reactions: MediaMan

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
-1-325-Official-TubeBuddy-Forum-Rules-TubeBuddy-Forums.png

OP
OP
White Noise Zebra

White Noise Zebra

My apologies. I was only giving the link to help answer MediaMan's question with a specific example. I don't feel that self-promotion in a discussion forum would get me anywhere anyway. Such spamming is a waste of time in my opinion.

BraveStar

Life ain't no Nintendo Game
TubeBuddy User
Subscriber Goal
My apologies. I was only giving the link to help answer MediaMan's question with a specific example. I don't feel that self-promotion in a discussion forum would get me anywhere anyway. Such spamming is a waste of time in my opinion.

I understand but I have to maintain a certain level of moderation. Otherwise others will think it's acceptable. Thank you.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I wondered that myself so I did some research. It looks like if people view a video for less than 30 seconds it doesn't count as a view. I have friends in RL that subscribed so maybe there just not really watching. I installed TubeBuddy to Chrome and have been experimenting with the keyword tool, so I am hoping to get people who are actually going to watch my videos onto the channel. It's damn frustrating.

Edit: I just realized that one probable reason my view count sucks is because I have some super long videos with long watch hours logged. Thus there's little binge-watching. For example this one is 3 hours long:

These white noise, multi-hours long videos are directed to a very small audience, IMO. I see these types of videos as commodities, not anything particular unique. Personally, multi hour videos are heard not watched, unless they are a movie, documentary, show, etc.

There is a good chance people will NEVER click or if they do click, the AVD will be horrible. When someone plays a video for a few minutes out of several hours, the retention is very low.

I am not a big fan of gaming channels as a creator due to the overwhelming glut of them. But these white noise / background music channels are probably even tougher in my eyes.

Having said all that, there appears to be a few successful channels. Also, you should disregard what I say especially if you are very passionate about it. Because passion can cause creativity and perseverance which can lead you to success.

Last edited:

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal

A bit off-topic but If you want to have your mind blown, there is a channel I ran into that I think legitimately has gotten over 80K subscribers. AllinwithAri channel is about an allegedly homeless but attractive woman. Her 1st video now has over 2 million views and a huge infusion of cash donations.

Blew my mind.

However, since last month, there are a bunch of YTubers who have done a deep dive on her background and she is appearing to be grifting people.

On my best day, grifting or not, I could never imagine getting 80K subscribers in under a month!

Reactions: MediaMan
OP
OP
White Noise Zebra

White Noise Zebra

These white noise, multi-hours long videos are directed to a very small audience, IMO. I see these types of videos as commodities, not anything particular unique. Personally, multi hour videos are hear not watched, unless they are a movie, documentary, show, etc.

There is a good chance people will NEVER click or if they do click, the AVD will be horrible. When someone plays a video for a few minutes out of several hours, the retention is very low.

I am not a big fan of gaming channels as a creator due to the overwhelming glut of them. But these white noise / background music channels are probably even tougher in my eyes.

Having said all that, there appears to be a few successful channels. Also, you should disregard what I say especially if you are very passionate about it. Because passion can cause creativity and perseverance which can lead you to success.

You make a good point about AVD. My music actually has well over 50% AVD but the longer videos have horrible AVD, with best one being 12%. I am having fun with the channel so it's easy to keep going.
I'll definitely be researching for better ideas to make the channel stand out and adjusting lengths of future videos to see what works best.
I appreciate the input.

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
AllinwithAri channel is about an allegedly homeless but attractive woman

Thx, definitely a classic case of grifting. I can she she's trying to overcome the hit from her public records being exposed. The way she's accenting her looks in some videos, dancing, etc, she may end up on onlyfans once youtube slows down.

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
Thx, definitely a classic case of grifting. I can she she's trying to overcome the hit from her public records being exposed. The way she's accenting her looks in some videos, dancing, etc, she may end up on onlyfans once youtube slows down.

Without getting personal about her, grifting or not, she exploded right out of the gates. She had the perfect storm of factors led the YT algorithm t keep pushing her video out.

Yes, she is attractive, yes, she grifted, but there is something to be learned of the COMBINATION of factors that led to a perfect storm. There is the emotional sob story as well as tapping into the vanlife and livingingyourcar phenomena as well.

I am not espousing that you have to be attractive and be a grifter to succeed but I find this case fascinating how her 1st video exploded as it did.

Let us not ignore the fact that she hit monetization within a week or so with her early long-form videos. There are all kinds of people pounding out Shorts now to gain subscribers. But I am always thinking, what about the watch hours?

Last edited:

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
Yes, she is attractive, yes, she grifted, but there is something to be learned of the COMBINATION of factors that led to a perfect storm. There is the emotional sob story as well as tapping into the vanlife and livingingyourcar phenomena as well.

Oh I 100% agree. But I also think from her first video her goal was to setup some kind of virtual begging for money. I probably should take back my onlyfans comment about her because that was in poor taste, but with all the public records about her, and if they are true....her youtube career will be short lived.

I'm going to start another thread about your comment, I think it's worth discussing.

Reactions: MattCommand1