• Guest - Earn a FREE TubeBuddy Upgrade for being active on the forums! Click Here to learn how you earn free upgrades for TubeBuddy!
  • Guest - TubeBuddy has a discord! Click Here to join in the conversation!

YouTube News Adsense revenue from YT Shorts

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
I just discovered in my analytics that Shorts generates adsense revenue for a monetized channel. I saw one of my shorts generate $0.06 revenue off of 2 views at a CPM of $112. I didn't think any of my Shorts could generate adsense revenue for me. I might have to make a couple more Shorts to confirm that they do really generate adsense revenue.

Stanley | Team TB

Amazingly Decent and Not-At-All Terrible Fishing
Administrator
TubeBuddy Staff
Subscriber Goal
I just discovered in my analytics that Shorts generates adsense revenue for a monetized channel. I saw one of my shorts generate $0.06 revenue off of 2 views at a CPM of $112. I didn't think any of my Shorts could generate adsense revenue for me. I might have to make a couple more Shorts to confirm that they do really generate adsense revenue.
Shorts videos are regular videos just like any other... the only difference being their format and the fact that they can also get indexed on the Shorts shelf. The Shorts shelf does not offer ads, only the opportunity to take a piece of the Creator Fund if it provides a large enough percentage of views. But when a video is watched outside the Shorts shelf it is still a regular video and still collects regular views... including monetized ad-rolls. So those two views you got came from a different traffic source. This is one of the reasons why there is value in optimizing your Shorts videos for their life beyond the Shorts shelf.

ResetResto

TubeBuddy Star
resetresto.com
Subscriber Goal
Shorts videos are regular videos just like any other... the only difference being their format and the fact that they can also get indexed on the Shorts shelf. The Shorts shelf does not offer ads, only the opportunity to take a piece of the Creator Fund if it provides a large enough percentage of views. But when a video is watched outside the Shorts shelf it is still a regular video and still collects regular views... including monetized ad-rolls. So those two views you got came from a different traffic source. This is one of the reasons why there is value in optimizing your Shorts videos for their life beyond the Shorts shelf.
Interesting.I learnt something new today.

• Love
Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

Xavier De Buck

Subscriber Goal
Hi Matt,

Have you seen any more of those pricing anomalies, or was it a once-off? How's it been since?

Thought I'd post what I did on my end wrt shorts videos ad revenue for the month of February 2023...

About 500,000 views on my shorts...ad revenue of $11.30... hmmm

For those of you hoping to get monetised by reaching 10,000,000 views, that'll result in $220 revenue...

I understand that YT wants a piece of the 'short form attention' market after seeing TT & IG cleaning up, BUT pushing it as hard - or rather taking away or replacing viewing time from long-form content towards these shorts videos, resulting in how much revenue for creators?!?

Why would anyone want to participate in this? Am I completely missing something here?

Wouldn't it more sense to rather produce a long-form video which will result in the below revenue in the first day with just a tiny fraction of the views?

Thoughts anyone?!

Screenshot 2023-02-28 at 23.02.46.png

Xavier De Buck

Subscriber Goal
Quick update I read earlier today…these are the first official $$$ ad stats I’ve seen published ONE MONTH into YT shorts monetisation.

This guy got close to 200 MILLION YT SHORTS VIEWS and this translated into ad revenue of…$3,000 (?!)

He sure CANNOT be doing this for the money. It’d be interesting to see how many subs he gained on his channel who can now watch his longer form videos given they started following him as they clearly liked his “short video teasers” (isn’t that what they ought to be regarded as?)…

F200501D-CE58-4ABA-B3AB-D947B9127D91.jpeg

OP
OP
M

MattCommand1

On sabbatical
TubeBuddy Pro
Trusted User
Subscriber Goal
People who get these types of numbers more than likely earn their money from sponsorships or some alternative source of income. They are not reliant on Adsense.

Many do it for the recognition and notoriety and the social status. Zach King is a smart and talented guy. I've heard him speak in a video.

I don't think he does it simply for social status. I am certain he is monetizing in other ways.

Reactions: Xavier De Buck

Ashwini Rao

Interesting. I agree with you shorts are just like other videos and collects views just like other videos.

Reactions: Stanley | Team TB

MediaMan

Very Well-Known Member
Zach goes on to say: "For context, this is about 2x better than TokTok monetization. And infinitely better than IG monetization."

Really?? wow... 2x better than TikTok? lol.. :p

This guy is doing general family friendly entertainment so if any channel was going to get decent eCPM/RPM from shorts it would be him. But wow...that is pathetic income for that many views. Granted I'm sure he's not relying on the income from shorts for anything, but data is data and this will probably give a much needed wake up call to a lot of shorts creators, apparently on all of the platforms.

For smaller channels, I still think shorts are worth while to help get to 1000 subs, but if channel monetization is your goal, the focus should still be on long form and don't forget... shorts watch hours are not applied towards that 4k watch hour monetization.

Spray Paint David

TubeBuddy Pro
Woow not sure how others feel about this but i think its kinda on the low spectrum of income, I would think if you got that many views on multiple longer videos with even retention of 30% you would make more, but again shorts are easier to gain views and watch time from.

I make shorts to be seen more as im only a small creator. And I feel like they do convert in few viewers coming to see the full video.
I have not created a short just for that but instead i convert my 6-8 minute videos into a quick 38-60 sec video. So far gaining at least 1kviews on shorts on each short compared to 10-60 views on long videos.

I will still create both and monetization is probably a year away.

i did have a tiktok account about conspiracies and it blew up in few weeks and got 95k followers and few wides over 2M views every video i posted had like 10k views and many with 100k+ and I earned $148 but but i would say the ratio per 10k views was like 0.03$

Spray Paint David

TubeBuddy Pro
Sorry for second post, but as a little brag, i just posted a short video it has hit 780 views in space of few minutes ( while typing out previous post) so 780 views and +4 subs. Not a bad reason to why make these shorts. Of course they do not count towards my watch time but even if 1-2 people went to see my full video I will be happy.

It most likely depends on how it performs now, and if it does good it will gain more, if not I predict it will stop at 1-2k

but I'm happy with results for now.

Xavier De Buck

Subscriber Goal
Woow not sure how others feel about this but i think its kinda on the low spectrum of income, I would think if you got that many views on multiple longer videos with even retention of 30% you would make more, but again shorts are easier to gain views and watch time from.

I make shorts to be seen more as im only a small creator. And I feel like they do convert in few viewers coming to see the full video.
I have not created a short just for that but instead i convert my 6-8 minute videos into a quick 38-60 sec video. So far gaining at least 1kviews on shorts on each short compared to 10-60 views on long videos.

I will still create both and monetization is probably a year away.

i did have a tiktok account about conspiracies and it blew up in few weeks and got 95k followers and few wides over 2M views every video i posted had like 10k views and many with 100k+ and I earned $148 but but i would say the ratio per 10k views was like 0.03$
Very nice indeed!

I was just going to ask you about ad revenue you're getting from TT - seems in-line with what YT shorts are paying (well, it's more like $0.01-0.02), but you get my drift - it's rather small in general vs the millions of views generated.

Xavier De Buck

Subscriber Goal
Sorry for second post, but as a little brag, i just posted a short video it has hit 780 views in space of few minutes ( while typing out previous post) so 780 views and +4 subs. Not a bad reason to why make these shorts. Of course they do not count towards my watch time but even if 1-2 people went to see my full video I will be happy.

It most likely depends on how it performs now, and if it does good it will gain more, if not I predict it will stop at 1-2k

but I'm happy with results for now.
Well done.

As I've mentioned on other threads before, it'll be interesting to see how those SF subs will behave on our LF content as THAT is where we get paid...I've gained +4,400 subs from my YT shorts thus far, so I'm DEFINITELY continuing AND upping my volume of YT shorts being published!

Reactions: Spray Paint David

Spray Paint David

TubeBuddy Pro
Well done.

As I've mentioned on other threads before, it'll be interesting to see how those SF subs will behave on our LF content as THAT is where we get paid...I've gained +4,400 subs from my YT shorts thus far, so I'm DEFINITELY continuing AND upping my volume of YT shorts being published!

That is definitely the way to go in my opinion, as much as I know their still improving and working on the shorts.

I feel like short audience is different to LF audience, but there is potential of you being discovered though SF and convert some % of them to LF videos.

and dammn 4k+ is really good! defo worth it., congrats.

Xavier De Buck

Subscriber Goal
That is definitely the way to go in my opinion, as much as I know their still improving and working on the shorts.

I feel like short audience is different to LF audience, but there is potential of you being discovered though SF and convert some % of them to LF videos.

and dammn 4k+ is really good! defo worth it., congrats.
Cheers!

The proof is in the pudding.... let's see what March brings - I'm trying to double my content volume this month vs February's, so let's see what the stats will be like!

Reactions: Spray Paint David

Spray Paint David

TubeBuddy Pro
Best of luck! I’m sure you can achieve that! Ever since I posted the little brag about my shorts It went terribly bad.. gaining around 0-2 views… instead of 1k and I’m sure 1 view is my own one..
Not sure what has happened, after that I did re brand my self with more relatable name and handle staying in the same niche, and will stick with it from now on but letΓÇÖs see what this month brings.

Not sure what I have sone wrong but IΓÇÖm sure IΓÇÖll figure it out and it will go better.
Not going to brag ever again haha

Cheers!

The proof is in the pudding.... let's see what March brings - I'm trying to double my content volume this month vs February's, so let's see what the stats will be like!